Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 30 Nov 2020
  • I bought a grilling rack to see if I could roast more peppers at once and faster then my current method.  It is not as good as a tumbler roaster, but it is not $200 either!  I did 50 in about 25 minutes!  The Weed Burner does make short work of it!  Video to come!

• #2 by 02ebz06 on 30 Nov 2020
  • Pretty cool idea.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 30 Nov 2020

•  Seeing the welder in the background my first thought was, sure enough Bent has connected the welder to the rack for a fast sure cook.  Covid must be taking over my thought train.
  • #4 by hughver on 30 Nov 2020
  • I have several similar devices only they are round, I use them to make all types of quesadillas. Simply lay one tortilla in open basket, add fillers of your choice (cheese, beef, pork, shrimp, etc.), top with second tortilla, close basket and place on hot pellet grill for one of the best quesadillas ever.  :lick:
  • #5 by Bentley on 30 Nov 2020
  • Chili Roasting

As you can see by the "cleaned" chili's in 3rd photo, some need a lot more hear applied to them.  They simply did not get cooked enough to have the skin fall off when cleaned under running water.  That is pilot error and no fault of device!  No idea how long the metal will hold up to heat like it takes to roast them, but it won't get used for another 10 months, so at least I will get 2 season for $12.

• #6 by 02ebz06 on 01 Dec 2020
  • We run in to that same issue when we buy the cases of them at the store that not all are completely roasted.
    So we ask the guy doing the roasting to roast a little longer then normal.
    That has worked well for us.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Dec 2020
  • You may not want to show that video to your insurance company ;)

Also, what is the purpose of the charring and removing of the skin on chili peppers?  It is not done with bell peppers to use for cooking.
  • #8 by Bentley on 01 Dec 2020
  • For me it is to remove the outer skin and to soften for use.  I do not find a bell pepper to have as thick a skin as most Chili Peppers.  But as stated, for me, it is a way of making ready for use without having to sauté it!  Since it was not going to be "canned" I was not sure how to preserve it, so just went with a salt brine.

At times I think...man you just spent a total of 2-3 hours working for 6 cans of $1.79 chili's!

• #9 by cookingjnj on 01 Dec 2020
  • Yeah, but Bent, you planted them, you grew them, you harvested them, roasted them and brined them.  That makes them taste so much better tasting than a $1.79 canned chili!  Looks really good, and like the creative roasting method.
Pages:
Actions