Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ballantyne on 02 Dec 2020
  • Hello Pellet Fan! I come to you, hat in hand, as a newbie. I'm new to smokers and smoking, and am trying to learn as I go. If you're sick of greenhorns who have little experience to contribute dropping in to ask questions, please feel free to ignore me. :)

I'm looking for advice on a pellet grill purchase. I'll start by explaining why I even want a new smoker in the first place. It's a bit of a story. If you're the TL;DR type, the upshot is that I'm trying to decide between a Camp Chef Woodwind 36, a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, and a P&S 1250.

Anyway. About 2.5 years ago, I received a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX as a wedding present. It's been a reasonably solid unit. It has some limitations, but nothing that would warrant me looking to replace it.

Then, on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, we had a blustery day, and the wind blew my grill off the patio. It wound up upside-down in the rocks. It probably landed on its back, then rolled over onto its head, because the back of the grill where the chimney attaches was dented in.

Well, shoot. That was supposed to be our turkey cooker. So, I got out a hammer and a bit of scrap wood and pounded out the dent as best I could. Then I fired it up. It still worked! It's still dented, and still has a pretty big gap where the chimney attaches, but it smoked two turkey breasts just fine.

...mostly just fine, actually. When I cranked up the heat at the end of the cook to get a reverse sear, I noticed it didn't get as hot as it used to be able to do. And that's a problem, because while I have BBQ aspirations, I mostly use my pellet grill as a grill, not a smoker. I've so far not moved beyond turkeys and ribs. (Brisket is the next thing I want to learn. It's my favorite BBQ food by far.)

I was all set to just get another DLX. It's cheap and has been sufficient for my needs (well, mostly; more on that later). But then I thought, what else is out there on the market? And so, much like my poor pellet plopper, I have tripped and fallen right down the rabbit hole.

The requirements that have guided my research so far are:

1. PID controller

Before I started down the rabbit hole, I had never heard of a PID controller, nor did I realize that I don't have one. My SmokePro was made before Camp Chef switched their entire lineup to PID controllers, which explains why it takes my set temp as more of a suggestion than a command.

Now that I know about PID controllers, I definitely want one in my next grill.

2. At least a bit bigger than what I have

I mostly just cook for us two, but I have occasionally hosted large gatherings of family and friends. On several such occasions I have wished for more capacity, as I've had to cook things in stages or do things like cook one of the turkey breasts in the instant pot (it didn't turn out nearly as well).

3. Ability to grill

I'm actually not super picky about a quality sear, mostly because I don't have the skill to achieve one, haha. I've been satisfied with the grilling output of my DLX running at 500 degrees. I mean, heck, one of my in-laws now really wants a pellet grill after tasting a burger I grilled on mine.

So I don't think I need any fancy searing setups. Just a pellet grill that gets up to 500 or so will do fine.

4. Ability to perform in a wide range of temperatures

I live in the southeast Denver metro area. We get our share of 100 degree summer days and cold (at times sub-zero) winter nights. I'd like to be able to use my grill all year long. The DLX seems to do fine when turned all the way up, but if I want a lower temperature for smoking, the ambient temperature and things like sun and wind really impact the temp I actually get.

5. Relatively low-maintenance

This eliminated the Yoder from consideration. If I need to scrub, sand, and paint every year just to keep the thing from rusting, I'm likely to just let it rot instead.

I'm religious about covering my grill after use, but accidents happen. Denver isn't the rainiest place on Earth, but we do have very unpredictable weather. Sometimes it's going to rain while the grill is either in use or cooling down.

6. Heavy construction is a plus

My last grill got blown over after all. But this isn't an absolute requirement. If I wind up with something lightweight, I guess I could use a sandbag (or a few bags of pellets) to weigh it down.

7. Cost no more than $2500

This is the kicker. This eliminates most recommendations I commonly see. For example the MAK 1-star is too small, and the 2-star is too expensive. Anything from Memphis that is large enough is too expensive. Etc.

I'm already going to have a hard enough time convincing my wife to buy in on this ("Why do you need a new one? The one you have still works just fine!"). Setting a price cap will help.

So, that brings me to my 3 choices: Camp Chef Woodwind 36, Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, and Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250.

The plus of the camp chef is that it is relatively inexpensive while still coming with all the bells and whistles I could want. I adore their ash cleanout system, and their wifi setup looks like one of the best around.

Downsides are a thinner construction, leading to wider thermal swings.

The plus of the Pitts and Spitts is that it looks like it performs better, and is definitely built better. I'm warming up to their expanded metal cooking surfaces given they would let me cook things that would fall through a traditional grill grate.

Downsides, I'm not thrilled about the need for frequent vacuuming, but I'll survive I'm sure. I've heard that their wifi module add-on is garbage, so I probably wouldn't buy it. That's not a dealbreaker. I mean, I'm a tech nerd and all, but I honestly can't think of much use for wifi in a smoker.

In terms of 850 vs. 1250, well...the 850 would probably be big enough. But with the 1250 I would never worry about running out of space again. That thing is a beast. And according to P&S customer service the pellet consumption penalty isn't that great with the bigger grill, so I basically just need to decide if it's worth the extra $425.

If you read this far...wow! Thank you! And if you have advice for me, thank you doubly!
  • #2 by bregent on 02 Dec 2020
  • Have you considered the Cookshack PG500?  It's not PID, but it has a very configurable controller that many folks like better than PID. It's in your price range, has more overall capacity than the DLX, grills better than probably any other pellet cooker out there. Just a thought.
  • #3 by ballantyne on 02 Dec 2020
  • Have you considered the Cookshack PG500?  It's not PID, but it has a very configurable controller that many folks like better than PID. It's in your price range, has more overall capacity than the DLX, grills better than probably any other pellet cooker out there. Just a thought.

I've seen lots of recommendations for the PG500 all over the web, so I've looked at it. I frankly don't understand how to use it. It subdivides its cooking area into four zones, meaning it doesn't actually have that much capacity. And I don't know when I'd use direct vs. indirect, top rack vs. either, and I would probably never use the warming drawer. Too complicated and fiddly for this beginner's taste.

Edited to add: I'm sure it's a fantastic machine. It looks like a pro-level tool. But I'm a rank amateur, and would probably not be able to use it well.
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 02 Dec 2020
  • Just curious, why have you eliminated Green Mountain?... and Blaz'n Grills?
  • #5 by ballantyne on 02 Dec 2020
  • Just curious, why have you eliminated Green Mountain?... and Blaz'n Grills?

GMG looks like it's in the same zone, quality- and price-wise, as Camp Chef. And since I have experience with CC but none with GMG, I figured, go with what you know.

I'd consider a Blaz'n. The P&S just looked nicer to me. I like its design (the roll-top lid appeals to me), its fully-welded construction, its simplicity, and the reports of its performance. I appreciate that they have been in the smoker business for 30 years, and they seem like they have their head on straight as a company.

What do you like about the Blaz'n?
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 02 Dec 2020
  • I am not sure where they are on the price scale but they should no be far off, if I was looking to drop that money. MAK or Cookshack PG1000. I know there are many other good bands and models out there these would be my starting points.
  • #7 by ylr on 02 Dec 2020
  • Both the Rectec RT-700 and the Weber Smokefire EX6 meets your criteria, and each of them weigh about 200 lbs.
  • #8 by RWhyman on 02 Dec 2020
  • I live near Parker, so if you want to check out a Blaz'n Grill or a Yoder, you could swing by the house sometime. Near Lincoln & Chambers.

I also recently just bought a ton of Smoke Ring pellets and would be happy to sell you some at my cost.
  • #9 by Osborn Cox on 02 Dec 2020

I've seen lots of recommendations for the PG500 all over the web, so I've looked at it. I frankly don't understand how to use it. It subdivides its cooking area into four zones, meaning it doesn't actually have that much capacity. And I don't know when I'd use direct vs. indirect, top rack vs. either, and I would probably never use the warming drawer. Too complicated and fiddly for this beginner's taste.

Edited to add: I'm sure it's a fantastic machine. It looks like a pro-level tool. But I'm a rank amateur, and would probably not be able to use it well.

Don’t get hung up on the zones, it’s not complicated or fiddly at all.    It’s the same concept as using a 4 burner gas grill with 2 burners on and 2 burners on low or off.     As far as capacity, I have yet to feel like I didn’t have enough space.    Based on your comment that you grill more often than cook slow and low (I do too) I feel it would suit your needs very well.   
  • #10 by Jimsbarbecue on 02 Dec 2020
  • We are MAK owners. Over a decade with them.  Based on your budget the Pitts and Spitts are well made. Don’t know about their electronics. We also own a old design GMG Jim Bowie which runs good but seems to use a lot of pellets because of its size or it could it appears that way from the hopper size. Don’t forget the used market. We paid $100 for the Jim Bowie and put another $100 in it.
  • #11 by glitchy on 03 Dec 2020
  • The Pits and Spits seem very well constructed. Very typical/traditional design. I was able to put my hands on one at a BBQ specialty store and was impressed with the build. Same with the CookShack PG500 sitting right next to it, impressive build.

Lone Star Grillz is in the process of releasing a pellet grill. It looks very sweet. They are a very desired brand in the offset world. Fireboard makes the controller. I'm guessing only a tornado would blow it off your patio too.

I had a Woodwind 24 WiFi before my SmokeFire, it was a nice grill. The WiFi did work really well for me too and the app was nice and straightforward. I felt like it would last several years, but nothing like P&S, LSG, Yoder, MAK, or Blaz'N. Another brand that's often overlooked is Smokin Bros. They are made in the USA too.

Also, I haven't had any hands on with Recteq (many others here have) or Grilla, but they are somewhere between the premium brands that have been discussed and the cheaper level like Traeger and CampChef in terms of metal thickness, etc. and in the $700-$1200 range. I hope you find the perfect replacement.
  • #12 by urnmor on 03 Dec 2020
  • My only advice is purchase the best you can afford.  If that means saving a little longer then I would strongly recommend you do. Remember quality stands the test of time.
  • #13 by Brushpopper on 03 Dec 2020
  • I love my Maverick 850.  It holds temps within a few degrees and seems like it uses less pellets than the GMG did.  I got the two piece drip tray and haven't tried searing on it yet.  And if the wind blows the pit off your porch, you're in trouble.  It is very heavy. 

I had the wifi on the GMG and seldom used it.  You can always get a Meater thermometer when they're on sale and do the same thing.  It will show meat internal temp and grate temp on the app.  The downside is it kills the battery on my phone very fast.  I think it's because of having to have the location services turned on.  I only use it with briskets and pork butts.
  • #14 by MP09 on 03 Dec 2020
  • iI've had a Blazin Grid Iron for 4 years and its been a great grill. 2 large turkeys are no problem. It gets used prox 4 times a week and i like the fact when they do upgrades, most are available for my grill. Mine sets outside all year and i do keep it covered. I can highly recommend Blazin.
  • #15 by ballantyne on 03 Dec 2020
  • Now the Recteq RT-700 and the Blaz'n Grid Iron are on my short list. This decision isn't getting any easier. :help:

I like that the Recteq has a lot of stainless in sensible places. It's relatively cheap too. They claim their shutdown cycle blows most of the ash out of the burn cup. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I like that Blaz'n is double-walled and has a slide-out firepot for easy cleaning. That black cherry finish is pretty, too. But by the time I add all the accessories I would want, it pushes the cost up to within spitting distance of a Maverick 1250.

Hmmm.....

I live near Parker, so if you want to check out a Blaz'n Grill or a Yoder, you could swing by the house sometime. Near Lincoln & Chambers.

I also recently just bought a ton of Smoke Ring pellets and would be happy to sell you some at my cost.

I'm also in Parker, near Motsenbocker and Main. Small world. I may take you up on that if I can convince my wife to go along with this.
Pages:
Actions