Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by reubenray on 21 Dec 2020
  • Wish you well on your brisket.  Hard to beat those from Costco. Show us the end product please.  :clap:

Everyone keeps talking about the Prime meats from Costco and Sam's.  My Costco and Sam's never has any prime meat.  Is this a regional thing or what?

The perfect pellet pit to me would have to be able to have a rotisserie in it.  This has turned me away from RecTec and Yoder which I think is great except for that exception.
  • #62 by Osborn Cox on 21 Dec 2020
  • I don’t know if it’s regional, but my Costco usually has Prime Ribeyes, NY Strips, and briskets, and around the holidays I sometimes see tenderloins.   
  • #63 by okie smokie on 21 Dec 2020
  • Mine has them all. Almost all of the time.
  • #64 by Bentley on 21 Dec 2020
  • Ours have a limited selection of cuts.
  • #65 by ballantyne on 21 Dec 2020
  • I've heard it said the northeast gets hosed when it comes to prime meats at Costco. Don't know if that's true.
  • #66 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Dec 2020
  • I've heard it said the northeast gets hosed when it comes to prime meats at Costco. Don't know if that's true.

Costco always has prime meats in the store near me in Eastern PA while Sam's has limited supply if any at times.
  • #67 by okie smokie on 21 Dec 2020
  • Abundance may or may not be related to consumer preference and ability to buy the pricier cuts. (as well as availability).
  • #68 by rdsbucks on 22 Dec 2020
  • Use your pellet grill to cook/smoke. Sear on gas or charcoal. No pellet grill will do it as well.  My gas grill is my "searing station".

Cookshack even has commercial grade stand-alone charbroilers that exclusively grill with pellets. https://cookshack.com/collections/commercial/products/copy-of-cb036-36-charbroiler
  • #69 by RWhyman on 22 Dec 2020
  • I was at the Costco in Parker/metro Denver area and they had a bunch of prime cuts of beef that I've never seen at a Costco before. Mostly bigger than I could use and some where upwards of $250.
    A bunch of prime whole briskets at $2.99/lb. That's cheaper than I've seen in a while.
  • #70 by hokiepop on 22 Dec 2020
  • The Costco in Chesterfield, VA  has prime tenderloin, rib-eye, ny strip and brisket pretty much year round.  Both packaged steaks and whole primals.   
  • #71 by okie smokie on 23 Dec 2020
  • Some disturbing news from my son-in-law. He was told that Costco Beef steak products were all blade tenderized when processed. Apparently this is done with a machine and increases the possibility of contamination. He told me his source said that such steaks not be served rare and perhaps even medium rare as a result. So he went to our local Costco to see.  He found that the the steaks labels all stated that the meat was blade tenderized in processing.  I will do further research on this process, but watcha think?
  • #72 by pmillen on 23 Dec 2020
  • I confess that I don't read the meat labels as carefully as I should.  That's changin'.

Blade tenderizing is fraught with danger.  I wonder if stating that its been done is a label requirement.
  • #73 by okie smokie on 23 Dec 2020
  • Here tis.  Be sure and watch the video of a blade tenderizing machine at work. Note that the tenderloins were not processed that way, not the flank steaks.
    https://completecarnivore.com/beware-blade-tenderized-steaks/
  • #74 by bregent on 23 Dec 2020
  • >He was told that Costco Beef steak products
    > were all blade tenderized when processed.

Yes, it's been that way for at least 5 years. I've seen that label on supermarket beef as well.

• #75 by Bentley on 23 Dec 2020
  • I do not believe I have ever bought an individual steak from Costco.  They always seem $2-$5 more per pound.  It is always a roast or a pack of tri-tip or a large section of round or sirloin.  To the best of my knowledge I have never seen anything about blade tenderization on the packaging.  I have known they do it for many years, and I guess I trust them to the point even if I did by an item that had been blade tenderized, I would feel comfortable.
Pages:
Actions