Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 05 Dec 2020
  • Local grocer has cooked hams as described in the Subject line.  The instructions are to simply reheat it.

Is that hide edible?

It's a big hunk of meat.  Is there any point in smoking it if the smoke just sits on the surface?
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 05 Dec 2020
  • The skin, you can take off and make cracklins or pork rinds with. I can not remember the lat time I made those. I used to go to a meat market and they did picnic hams, I loved those things. I bought them for the guys at work for Christmas and they just looked at me and asked how do I cook it. Just like a ham.

They were already smoked and cooked but I would toss mine in the smoker to reheat, you would get the extra smoke flavor. I usually just smoked to about 120 ish then tossed in the oven to brown up nice.
  • #3 by Bentley on 05 Dec 2020
  • It is already fully cooked?
  • #4 by pmillen on 06 Dec 2020

Yeah.  It's a cooked ham.  The instructions are to simply reheat it.

EDIT:  I'm thinking that smoking it will deposit smoke flavor on the exterior.  When I slice off a quarter-inch slice it's only that quarter-inch of what was the exterior that will have smoke flavor.  That doesn't seem worthwhile.

If I don't remove the hide until after it's cooked then the smoke flavor goes elsewhere with the hide.  Doubly not worthwhile.

Where am I going wrong with this thinking?
  • #5 by Bentley on 06 Dec 2020
  • Never even heard of the type of ham you are describing.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 06 Dec 2020

Yeah.  It's a cooked ham.  The instructions are to simply reheat it.

EDIT:  I'm thinking that smoking it will deposit smoke flavor on the exterior.  When I slice off a quarter-inch slice it's only that quarter-inch of what was the exterior that will have smoke flavor.  That doesn't seem worthwhile.

If I don't remove the hide until after it's cooked then the smoke flavor goes elsewhere with the hide.  Doubly not worthwhile.

Where am I going wrong with this thinking?

Well, you are going to heat it up anyway, so why not just do it on the smoker?
    If it adds any smoke flavor, that's a plus.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 06 Dec 2020
  • Never even heard of the type of ham you are describing.

Not sure what his is, but the picnic hams are basically a cured and smoked picnic shoulder with the skin on it. I am thinking his is the actual ham from the rear of the pig but still has the skin on.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 06 Dec 2020
  • I have a ham dilemma:My wife hates ham, and I love it. But I like it done to where it is pale and pulls apart easily. When we do have one (last one 2 Cristmases ago). I bought a precooked at Costco, spiral cut, and came with the glazing kit.  I put it in the smoker in a pan, cut side down and smoked it for 2hrs at 275 or about.  Then glazed it and it came out like I wanted. I really like the results and we saved the bone and scraps for navy beans and cornbread for another time.  Gotta do it again!
Pages:
Actions