Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a pork loin sauce  (Read 564 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Suggestions for a pork loin sauce
« on: December 07, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »

The Culpeper Heat Shelter is back in operation this year but with a lot of changes.  They received a grant for the winter months, so they are able to rent hotel rooms in the couple of low cost hotels here in town for those that might otherwise be on he streets.  As a result, the folks are not sleeping in the "dorms" at the shelter and are not eating communal meals.  Instead, the meals are being dished up into clamshells and then taken and distributed at the hotels.

The bad part from the cook's point of view is that they have also changed how we cook dramatically.  They have received some big time assistance from Sysco (which is great!), but Sysco is also donating a lot of pre-made foods which we need to use.

So, we are cooking Friday and have been told the menu is pork loin, au gratin potatoes and corn.  We will prep and cook the pork loin here. I have seen the outside of the au gratin potatoes -- they are Stouffer's frozen au gratin potatoes.

So, a couple of questions:

1.  Anyone ever had the Stouffer's frozen au gratin potatoes?  If so, what should I expect and can I do anything to make them better?

2.  What sauce, if any , would you suggest for the pork loin.  Not really thinking a gravy per se, but more of a sauce -- but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Suggestions for a pork loin sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 08:03:54 PM »

It seems to me that a slice from a pork loin is a boneless pork chop.

My last pork chop cook had a glaze that I set by putting it on seared chops that had been moved to indirect charcoal heat for 5-6 minutes.

The chops and seasoning.

Here's what they looked like when setting the glaze.

Ingredients- Bourbon Butter Glaze
½ Stick salted butter
¼ Cup brown sugar
¼ Cup honey
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Shot of Kentucky bourbon

Directions-Bourbon Butter Glaze
In a small sauce pot over medium heat add butter, brown sugar, honey, bourbon, and Dijon mustard.
Stir until combined and reduce by half, about 8 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.

I think that it would be a fine sauce if not "set" as a glaze.  I don't think the Kentucky bourbon would be missed if not included.

EDIT:  Cleaned up some fractions that were not displaying properly.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 04:25:49 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 08:15:10 PM »

I've had the Stouffer's frozen au gratin and they are good. With a properly seasoned loin and a green veggie, i would be a happy guy, no sauce required.

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:47:02 PM »

It is great that you are able to do this! For one of our Christmas dinners several years ago I did pork loin with a cherry almond glaze. It had cherry preserves and dried cherries. I don't know what happened to the recipe, but I found it by googling it. This recipe from Taste of Home is close, but the one I used had toasted slivered almonds and maybe a little almond extract. There are several out there you can choose from.

3/4 cup cherry preserves
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »

Bent grilled the loin on the Memphis Pro then turned it down and finished the cook.  I can't get my photos to post for some reason.  After it cooled, he sliced it and I put in pans and I made pmillen's glaze.  I used apple juice instead of bourbon and made it a bit thinner to go over all the pork and use as a warming sauce.  When we were dishing up the clamshells tonight, the volunteers were drooling over the smell of that "sauce"!!!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »

Lots of wonderful things going on by folks on this board.  Thanks for all you do.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »

Nice job! I am sure it was great!  :clap: :clap:

Just curious, how many did you serve? The apple glaze sounds good. You have me thinking pork loin for Christmas dinner this year.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 07:23:00 PM »

You have me thinking pork loin for Christmas dinner this year.

There are probably many other recipes here, but this is my favorite recipe for smoke-roasted pork loin.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »

When I'm pressed for time, I use Major Grey chutney
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 07:42:26 PM »

Just curious, how many did you serve?

We served 50. There was a little of everything left over, so a couple who was volunteering took it home for dinner.  They seemed very grateful for it because I guess the husband had had some recent medical problems and they had maybe not been eating good meals (but they were out volunteering to help others!  Small town life can be amazing!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up