Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repair question.  (Read 324 times)

Curly777

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Repair question.
« on: December 09, 2020, 04:34:52 PM »

Good day y’all. I have an old IPT pellet grill that I’ve been quite happy with over the years. Last spring it was exhibiting some issues and finally quit working. The fans and auger were fine so I purchased a new controller, which came with an interior temp probe, a new igniter and a new firebox. I replaced all said items and had a great cook, patting myself on the back for being such a good boy. The very next time I went to use the grill, no fire. The igniter wasn’t heating up. Miffed, I self lit the grill and went on with the cook. It was soon apparent that it was just feeding pellets and life was way too sooty to continue. I didn’t even install the works for months after I bought it, so I assumed any warranty was over. Discouraged, I just let the grill sit, from then till now. The only thing I can think of to do is to replace the controller again. I don’t really want to do that but I don’t want to buy a new grill either. Any suggestions for someone like myself? Probably not but I thought I’d check the brain trust before trying to contact the people I bought it from.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Repair question.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »

So auger turns and drops pellets?  Fans work?  Need a little more info.  I believe that unit had a Roanoke controller, is that what you replaced it with?  1st instinct is to tell you to check wires going into the controller from the RTD.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »

Where was the controller sourced from??  Perhaps the seller could help if the situation was explained ..

"The Igniter heating up"; For how long? If not on long enough, the fire will not have time to get going.

Was the "heat sensor" replaced at the same time? If it is way off, it could misinform the controller. Highly unlikely.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 11:51:14 AM »

First thing I would do is, unplug the igniter, take my DVM and hook up to the lead from the controller and turn the unit on. If you have power then the igniter is bad, you could probably check it with the DVM using Ohms or continuity.

if there is no power from the controller, and the igniter seems to be good. Not sure how much work you want to do or spend, or even how much the controller was. but a simple timer like below could be wired right to the igniter, most seem to be on for 5 to 7 minutes. Turn on the grill, hit the start button the rod is powered for X number of minutes then is turned off. You may need to experiment with time it takes to get the cooker fired.

https://www.amazon.com/Programmable-CANAGROW-Electric-Appliances-Grounded/dp/B07YWK67CD/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=small+electric+timer&qid=1607618667&sr=8-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up