Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All of our national anthem. Does anyone know it?  (Read 391 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
All of our national anthem. Does anyone know it?
« on: December 09, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »

Here is the original poem by Frances Scott Key: The 3rd stanza refers angrily to the British and probably should be omitted from the anthem, but I think stanza 4 should be sung, as it seems just as appropriate today as it was then. Just my opinion. ?

Complete version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" showing spelling and punctuation from Francis Scott Key's manuscript in the Maryland Historical Society collection.

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming, Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming? And the rocket's red glare, the bomb bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes, What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep, As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses? Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam, In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,
'Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave, And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace may the heav'n rescued land Praise the power that hath made and preserv'd us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - "In God is our trust,"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: All of our national anthem. Does anyone know it?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »

I suppose that I'm fairly well educated ... I don't recall ever reading the complete poem.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:02:48 AM »

Makes me want to stand up with my hand over my heart, just to read it. Here is a link explaining both myth and truth about the event. He knew the melody before he wrote the lyrics! Or so it says.   
https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/separating-fact-from-fiction-about-the-star-spangled-banner

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »

The third verse also refers to the black slaves who had been promised emancipation by the invading British if they fought with them.

Also, ironic that Key, a slave holding lawyer from a plantation family who supported slavery, writes about the land of the free and freeman. He meant the land of the free for white people.  I am not against the anthem, but we should understand its history and background.

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:00:19 PM »

The third verse also refers to the black slaves who had been promised emancipation by the invading British if they fought with them.

Also, ironic that Key, a slave holding lawyer from a plantation family who supported slavery, writes about the land of the free and freeman. He meant the land of the free for white people.  I am not against the anthem, but we should understand its history and background.
I agree but:
Also we should keep in mind that slavery was practiced all the way back to biblical times (and probably before). It was the custom that those who won wars of conquest made slaves out of the conquered and used them for building new empires etc. It was the price for losing. But even then the powerful black tribes in Africa, captured and sold slaves, and continued to do so for centuries including 16th to 19th centuries. It was black slavers who captured and sold most of them. Also Arabs were well into the business in the middle east. Most of those slaves who ended up in the new America were captured and sold by black people. At the time it was a road to success for plantation owners around the world. Modern man did not get a conscience about it's evils until 17th century Europe began to realize that slavery degraded all humanity and was to be avoided. Black slave traders were still selling their fellow tribes to America at the time. Early Americans were not yet "civilized" but the movement began to spread before the revolt against the Brits. There were anti slavers in the Continental congress, and so the movement began and resulted in the formation of the first anti slavery party (Republican) and was led by its first president --you know the rest.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 09:36:29 PM »

I agree but:
Also we should keep in mind that slavery was practiced all the way back to biblical times (and probably before). It was the custom that those who won wars of conquest made slaves out of the conquered and used them for building new empires etc. It was the price for losing. But even then the powerful black tribes in Africa, captured and sold slaves, and continued to do so for centuries including 16th to 19th centuries. It was black slavers who captured and sold most of them. Also Arabs were well into the business in the middle east. Most of those slaves who ended up in the new America were captured and sold by black people. At the time it was a road to success for plantation owners around the world. Modern man did not get a conscience about it's evils until 17th century Europe began to realize that slavery degraded all humanity and was to be avoided. Black slave traders were still selling their fellow tribes to America at the time. Early Americans were not yet "civilized" but the movement began to spread before the revolt against the Brits. There were anti slavers in the Continental congress, and so the movement began and resulted in the formation of the first anti slavery party (Republican) and was led by its first president --you know the rest.

I'm sure the people working in the fields picking cotton, etc. could care less who sold them. Especially when they were being raped, abused, and killed. The practice of slavery was, is, and always will be bad. Funny how the political parties were a lot different back then. Just think we actually went to war in the US over slavery. A lot of people have different feelings about the anthem and I don't fault anyone for them.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:39:07 PM by triplebq »
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 10:25:00 PM »

There is no justification for it.  It has taken me about 58 of my 61 years to get to that decision!

Also we should keep in mind that slavery was practiced all the way back to biblical times (and probably before). It was the custom that those who won wars of conquest made slaves out of the conquered and used them for building new empires etc. It was the price for losing.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

okie smokie

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »

There is no justification for it.  It has taken me about 58 of my 61 years to get to that decision!

Also we should keep in mind that slavery was practiced all the way back to biblical times (and probably before). It was the custom that those who won wars of conquest made slaves out of the conquered and used them for building new empires etc. It was the price for losing.

Of course there is/was no justification for it. I was just stating that it existed as a matter of history. (as with the ancient Jews in Babylonia and Egypt). And I used the references to imply that we have made much progress since then. There have been setbacks, but progress made nonetheless. Prejudice on the other hand takes longer, because it is passed on from parent to child, from teacher to student, and from those who seek power from it. (politicians?)

And remember that our nation was founded on principals that were not yet well developed, actually they were the first of their kind. But we have come a long way. And instead of fighting about who did what, and to whom and who should pay; we should get on with improving the lives of all citizens.   

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:22:39 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »

Then there is nothing "to keep in mind"...Wrong is wrong!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up