Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 4given on 11 Dec 2020
    • Pecan smoked, sous vide, flame seared, grass fed tri-tip for dinner last night!

• Smoked at 150 deg F for 1 hour in my GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill using Bear Mountain Pecan pellets.
      • Rubbed with a light coat  Pappy's seasoning and cooked sous vide at 131 deg F for 6 hours
      • Pulled it out of the sou vide bag, dried it off with a paper towel
      • Applied another light coat of Pappy's and sprayed it on all sides with avocado oil.
      • Seared it using my propane weed burner.

Turned out tender, juicy with just the right amount of smoke. 

[/list]
  • #2 by Hank D Thoreau on 11 Dec 2020
  • Looks good. I just did another last night, but much simpler. I seasoned and smoked at 250 for a little over an hour.

Next step is slicing. I used to slice like you show in the picture. The last couple of times I finally sliced the recommended way, cutting cross grain like a brisket.

It turns out great that way. It pulls apart just like brisket.

There are two cut angles based on where you are on the tri-tip, again like the flat and point of a brisket. It is pretty easy to see.

I first saw the slicing pattern in something I got from Thermoworks.
  • #3 by 4given on 11 Dec 2020
  • Looks good. I just did another last night, but much simpler. I seasoned and smoked at 250 for a little over an hour.

Next step is slicing. I used to slice like you show in the picture. The last couple of times I finally sliced the recommended way, cutting cross grain like a brisket.

There are two cut angles based on where you are on the tri-tip, again like the flat and point of a brisket. It is pretty easy to see.

Yeah I was trying to get it sliced across the grain but my first cut in the middle was wrong. I got the ends cut across the grain correctly but the middle portion not so much.  I guess I'll look on line for the slicing pattern
  • #4 by 4given on 11 Dec 2020

Yeah I was trying to get it sliced across the grain but my first cut in the middle was wrong. I got the ends cut across the grain correctly but the middle portion not so much.  I guess I'll look on line for the slicing pattern

I found this online . Is this like the one you have?

• #5 by Hank D Thoreau on 12 Dec 2020
  • That's it!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Pages:
Actions