Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Dec 2020
  • Since it is snowing and pretty cold outside, good day to do some meat prep.

First up, the Christmas Rib Roast.  Went to Costco yesterday and got this choice grade rib roast for $11.70 a pound.  Bent trimmed some of the fat and then I seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning and some rosemary from the garden.  He will now vac seal and into the frig until it is cooked on Christmas Day.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Dec 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Dec 2020
  • That sure looks good.  I need to start looking for sales on rib roasts and pork loin.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 16 Dec 2020
  • Looks terrific!!!
  • #5 by Bentley on 16 Dec 2020
  • It does have nice Marbling for Choice.  It is hard to beat Costco Beef!
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Dec 2020
  • Meat prep day, part two!

I have never made beef Bourguignon so I decided no time like the present.  It is about a 2 and 1/2 day process.  Bought the chuck from Costco and trimmed the fat and cut into bite sized chunks (nearly 4 pounds of meat trimmed).  Then added onions, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, carrots, parsley and 6 cups of a cab (instead of traditional burgundy because I found the Kirkland Cab but could not find any burgundy!).

It will now marinade for two days and then start the cooking process on Friday.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #7 by hughver on 16 Dec 2020
  • I've got to stop spending so much time on this site, every time I see something like this roast, I get reminded how much I like prime rib. After reading this, I went to Safeway and bought a 17.6 lb. choice rib roast.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Dec 2020
  • Great price for chuck roasts on that ad too
  • #9 by hughver on 17 Dec 2020
  • Great price for chuck roasts on that ad too
    °
    I thought so too, I had them cut me a 5-6 lb. cross rib roast roast which is now trimmed, seasoned and in the sous vide for 40 hours at 135°
  • #10 by hughver on 17 Dec 2020
  • My prep is done. Ribs are in the sous vide, trimmings are on the stove and steaks/roast are in the refrigerator awaiting decision on what to do with them.
  • #11 by Bentley on 17 Dec 2020
  • Hard to tell the difference between the Kirkland and Safeway...

• #12 by hughver on 17 Dec 2020
  • Your top picture appears to be much better marbled, not so much in the bottom picture. My trimmed out rib eye weighed just under 6 lbs., the flap 1 lb., broth trimmings 4.2 lbs., unusable trimmings 2 lbs., and  ribs/usable lean meat weighed in at 4.3 lbs. Knife work took well over an hour.
  • #13 by okie smokie on 17 Dec 2020
  • I often see Costco beef marked choice that looks more like prime because of the marbling. I thought the Safeway cut above looked more like standard grade. almost no marbling seen. 

• #14 by Bentley on 17 Dec 2020
  • Yeah it is USDA Select, I had hoped it was going to be Choice. I believe this stuff at Giant is going to be a USDA Choice, but you know for $4.89/lb ya get what ya get.  I didn't know this was rib on.  Will just grind it up, add a little more fat and it should have great flavor even if it is Select.
  • #15 by hughver on 17 Dec 2020
  • I often see Costco beef marked choice that looks more like prime because of the marbling. I thought the Safeway cut above looked more like standard grade. almost no marbling seen.

The rib roast that I posted is from Safeway and the marbling is what I'd normally expect for choice. Bentley's Costco roast is exceptional for choice.
Pages:
Actions