Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hank D Thoreau on 24 Dec 2020
  • I have two ducks to cook. I have been perusing duck smoking recipes. Duck appears to be kind of a challenge. Any advice on good ways to handle a duck in a smoker?
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 24 Dec 2020
  • Pour boiling water over them before you start cooking.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 24 Dec 2020
  • The boiling water helps?

I have never smoked one. I have found my favorite way was in the George Forman rotisserie, at some point I end up scoring the skin lightly. The first time was a mess as I didn't bother checking the drip pan and it over flowed.

Can't wait to see how you do yours and how they turn out.
  • #4 by Hank D Thoreau on 24 Dec 2020
  • The one thing I keep reading about is scoring the skin to allow the fat to escape.

I have the Ronco Showtime Grill but have not used it for years. Not since my house filled up with people. I need more volume than it can handle.

I'll probably take it out again when our cooking demand decreases. It does great chickens.

Set it and forget it !!!!!
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 24 Dec 2020
  • The boiling water helps the fat to start rendering.
  • #6 by Hank D Thoreau on 24 Dec 2020
  • The boiling water helps the fat to start rendering.

I figured. I saw one recipe that called for boiling for 30 minutes before putting on the grill.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 24 Dec 2020
  • Try one in the Ronco some time. I usually just do salt and pepper. They look nice until I score lightly then the fat running makes it all streaked up. Lucky I am more about taste than looks. Still hoping you get some shots of your smoked duck and leave us now how it is.
  • #8 by Bentley on 24 Dec 2020
  • You do not want to put a duck in boiling water for 30 minutes.  You wont have any fat to worry about rendering.
  • #9 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 Dec 2020
  • You do not want to put a duck in boiling water for 30 minutes.  You wont have any fat to worry about rendering.

I wasn't going to follow that recipe. It sounded a bit extreme. It mentioned that the duck cooks pretty quickly after you put on the grill following the boiling. It seemed more like boiled duck.

• #10 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 Dec 2020
  • Poked holes with a corn on the cob holder. Poured boiling water over the ducks before smoking. Cooked at 225 until near the end and then raised to 350 to try to get a crispy skin.

Was not able to crisp the skin. Maybe the holes weren't big enough to let enough fat escape. Still, the duck was good and we had a tri-tip as emergency backup.

I am not a real duck fan so I don't think I will be spending a lot of time refining the recipe. I prefer chicken and turkey.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #11 by Bentley on 26 Dec 2020
  • I also have never enjoyed the taste of duck.  Maybe Peking Char siu.
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 26 Dec 2020
  • They look good!
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 26 Dec 2020
  • those look good, i would enjoy eating one of them. I have never tried the boiling water thing i may have to.
  • #14 by Ralphie on 26 Dec 2020
  • Harry Soo has a good YouTube video of smoking a duck. You can pull tips/techniques from it.

I researched Peking duck recipes this fall and made this duck. It was a 2 day process with boiling water (with other ingredients) and drying out in the fridge for a day.
    Skin was crispy like glass. A real treat.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions