Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help/Opinions needed for Christmas Ribeye Roast  (Read 593 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Help/Opinions needed for Christmas Ribeye Roast
« on: December 24, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »

It’s been quite a while since I’ve prepared a rib roast much less a ribeye one and would like your help/opinions. I removed the bones, flap and all other parts/fat from a 20.6 lb. whole rib (and yes, I bought a second one at $3.97/lb.).  I cut the resulting ribeye into 1 ¾” steaks and a 3.5lb. roast for Christmas. I would like to serve the roast at an IT of 130-134° and am considering several different scenarios for cooking: Sous vide, cool and smoke at 225° to IT of 128°; Smoke at 225° to an IT of 128°; Sear in 500° pit/oven and smoke at 160-180° to IT of 128°; or Smoke at 160-180° to an IT of ~110° and sear in pit/oven to an IT of 125°. From your experiences, which one has the best chance of success? What is your favorite seasoning for ribeye? Thanks for the help.  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Help/Opinions needed for Christmas Ribeye Roast
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »

All those ways would work well (depending on the execution).  I prefer smoking at 225* until internal temp just 3 to 4 degrees below your end point, then cranking up to over 500 or more and searing either on the bottom side of GG's, or a cast iron skillet, turning to get all sides. You can also use a blow torch to sear the surface without raising the temp much. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »

I like to cook Rib Roast at a med high temperature 325°, so I cant help with any input on your selected methods.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »

I like smoking for about 60-90 minutes at 250°, pulling, cooling, vac seal, and sous vide at desired temp.  I usually cool again and put on a slicer for thin roast beef sandwiches.  I would think you could hand cut to steak thickness instead of slicing thin and do it right after pulling from sous vide and sitting probably 15 minutes.

From what I recall, you seem to prefer sous vide then smoking so why don't you do that?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »

I have a 7# roast on the pit as we speak.  It is a prime cut which always throws my timing off.  It was on at 225 for 2.5 hours.  Just bumped the temp up to 275 so I can get the meat to an internal of 135 or so.  I usually do not sear my rib roast when I have them on the pit, and tonight will not as well.  Your second consideration is the closest to what I usually do, without the sear.  Have fun, enjoy that roast tomorrow.

hughver

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »

Thanks for the responses. I dry brined the roast yesterday, today, I'm going to season with some of the original Tatonka Dust and smoke at 225° to an IT of 130°, rest and eat (no sear). I'm assuming that it will take about one hour per pound and that the IT will coast slightly to 132-134°.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »

Really no reason to sear when you think about it. Great idea.   :clap:

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »

I like to cook at 250 F until 130 F IT.  Comes out medium rare edge to edge, which is what I prefer. I don’t sear at the beginning or end because I don’t care for the dark edges. A trade off from bark to consistent doneness that I am willing to make. Wife wanted ham for Christmas so no pictures. Will definitely do a rib roast for New Years or New Year’s Eve. I envy your pics because I would love to eat what you are eating today! 

hughver

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »

The roast turned out very good with several lessons learned. My biggest mistake was putting the probes into the fattest portion of the roast. The portion that had the probes turned out perfectly medium rare, the outer ends, not so much. Secondly, I badly miscalculated the cook time. My first guest was one hour per pound at 225°, then I decided to err on the low side so I started it at 160° for one hour thinking that if necessary I could always raise the temperature sooner. Wrong, it was over two hours before I raised the temperature to 225°. I pulled it at 128° IT and the coast was as anticipated, 2-3°.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 07:07:04 PM »

I'd be happy with a slice (or two) of that, Hugh.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »

That looks great!

urnmor

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »

Very very nice

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 01:10:09 PM »

You did say this was a rib roast.  Did you say you peeled it?  Removed everything so you had just the eye of the Rib roast?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:04:55 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »

yes, it was just the ribeye. From a 20.6lb. whole rib, the trimmed ribeye was ~7lbs., 3.5lb roast and 6 ~9oz. 1 3/4"  steaks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up