Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Maineac on 28 Sep 2017
  • I really want a wifi thermometer setup but can't decide between the Fireboard and the Thermoworks Smoke w/Gateway.   My experience with other Thermoworks devices leads me to believe that this is where I'll find the best quality but the Smoke only has 2 channels.  The Fireboard has plenty of channels but only a 24 hr. battery life vs 1800 hr. on the Smoke.  I don't want to run with it plugged in all the time.  So while I'm pondering this problem I use a wifi proxy.
    I have an iGrill2 which is Bluetooth but has 4 channels and after all the changes the software has gone through going from iGrill to Weber it seems to work pretty well now.  So for the time being I use the iGrill2 with an IP webcam.  I have an old iPhone with the iGrill2 app loaded on it that I've dedicated to this use.  So I connect to the iGrill2, point the camera at my old iPhone and now I can see what's going on from anywhere using the camera app on my current iPhone.  This would work with any thermometer setup on any cell phone if you have a IP webcam available and the camera app on your phone.

If any of you would like to comment on the Smoke vs Fireboard or know of another worthy wifi contender, I would be interested in your thoughts.
    Thanks for looking.
  • #2 by snj1013 on 29 Sep 2017
  • I haven't purchased the Gateway yet (it's on my Wishlist and have a birthday in 2 weeks), but the Smoke is a fantastic thermometer. I've had it for almost a year and would but it again. Thermoworks was very late in releasing the Gateway, but I'm sure it will work.
  • #3 by Maineac on 29 Sep 2017
  • I haven't purchased the Gateway yet (it's on my Wishlist and have a birthday in 2 weeks), but the Smoke is a fantastic thermometer. I've had it for almost a year and would but it again. Thermoworks was very late in releasing the Gateway, but I'm sure it will work.

In a year there have been zero issues with the Smoke?
  • #4 by Waffle860 on 29 Sep 2017
  • I went with the fireboard and really like it.  There is a micro USB port on it so you can use it with one of those external lithium phone charger batteries to extend run time, but I haven't had the need even during 12hr cooks.  The Bluetooth and WiFi setup was really easy and works flawlessly for me.  The app is easy on use as well.

The only downside is the unit itself is not water resistant.  I bought the water
    resistant case they just released.   It is really nice and has magnets on the back and a kickstand, but I still would not trust it for protection in a decent rain.  The gasketting does not seem robust enough .  But no big deal, I just put it in a zip lock back and use the magnets to stick it to the side of the hopper with the bag opening down.
  • #5 by LowSlowJoe on 01 Oct 2017
  • Personally,  Fireboard...  as Waffle has said,  if you really wanted to run on battery,  it'd be easily done.

One reason for Fireboard...  I really like having access to my older data on the net to review if desired.
  • #6 by Maineac on 01 Oct 2017
  • Waffle or LSJoe, if there is no wifi can you run a session between your device and the Fireboard using Bluetooth?  Also, after the initial setup, how much of a deal is it to start a new cook?  When you turn it on does it connect automatically with your device and do you have to sign in with Fireboard's server?  Thanks.
  • #7 by ArborAgent on 01 Oct 2017
  • Waffle or LSJoe, if there is no wifi can you run a session between your device and the Fireboard using Bluetooth?  Also, after the initial setup, how much of a deal is it to start a new cook?  When you turn it on does it connect automatically with your device and do you have to sign in with Fireboard's server?  Thanks.

No Wifi? No problem, it'll work over Bluetooth.

Starting a cook is easy, turn it on and it automatically starts a new session. No authentication once you have it working. The app just reconnects.
  • #8 by Maineac on 02 Oct 2017
  • Okay, to those who commented, thank you.  For me the important items are number of ports and battery life.  That you can save cooks is a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me; I have that ability on my iGrill2 but never use it.  I log what is important to me manually on every cook.  But who knows, maybe I would use the cook graphing ability of one of these units.
    So I cannot change the number of ports on the Smoke.  Two is one short of what I usually use and Fireboard has that covered.  Also, I have some options on the power for the Fireboard.  I also like the potential of that spare port on the Fireboard.  Fan control would be a great feature for charcoal cookers.  Anyway, the Fireboard takes it for me.  Gonna order it as soon as I post this.
    Again, thanks for the comments.  They were much appreciated.
  • #9 by snj1013 on 02 Oct 2017

In a year there have been zero issues with the Smoke?
    No problems at all. Haven't even had to change batteries.
  • #10 by Maineac on 07 Oct 2017
  • I can't add anything to LowSlowJoe's terrific review of the Fireboard other than to say that I believe it will become the Gold Standard.  I'm guessing a year from now someone might say, "Yes, but is it as good as a Fireboard?"  It is and does as advertised.   :cool:

Edit - It should come with a magnet on the back.  I can handle that.
  • #11 by Bytor on 14 Jan 2018
  • I've had The Smoke since it came out and it a great unit. I also got the Gateway for it and it works very well.  What I like about the smoke is they built it with the weather in mind. I believe its IP65 rated.   I've left the Smoke on my Grill for days at a time with and without grill cover on and hasnt hurt the unit at all.  Battery Life is fantastic and it easy to use. Gateway works without any disconnects. 
    Cons is it only has two probes.

I  just got a FIREBOARD, water resistant case, and some of there probe organizers.    Set up was a no brainer, love the fact that it has 6 probes and your data is saved their cloud and can access it anytime.  Ability graph and chart your session on your computer, rename your sessions and each probe, set alarms, get SMS text, email Alerts on your cooks is fantastic.  Im sure I left out a couple other features.
    Cons: Spendy! Not IP65 or water resistant.  Battery Life, did a 14hr cook and last hour had to plug unit in at 4am on a cold and freezing morning.  While Water resistant case is well built I would like to see them build the Fireboard like Thermoworks builds THE SMOKE. 
    Saying that I would give the advantage to the FIREBOARD over THE SMOKE. 

• #12 by Medallion on 22 May 2018
  • Can you use iGrill probes with the Fireboard?  Thinking of upgrading and with 6 port options, I may be able to save some money with my extra iGrill probes?  Anyone ever test this or could check on your Fireboards?  Assuming it would work, any cons to doing this?  Thanks
Pages:
Actions