Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any sausage people here. Stuffer question.  (Read 675 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Any sausage people here. Stuffer question.
« on: December 31, 2020, 07:15:30 PM »

I have an 11# Cabelas (weston) stuffer, I put the motor on it. it works great but when I am done I have over a pound of meat not able to be stuffed, because of the way it is made. Did about 8# of meat into sticks today and it had been a while since I had used it, The motor would not fill the casings, I guess it needed to be thinner so I took it off and hand cranked. when done I cleaned it out and put it in a small bowl. close to 1.25#. I will more then likely just form it and smoke it.

So any ideas on stuffers that will push almost all of the product through, if there is something like that?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Any sausage people here. Stuffer question.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »

I have not tried mine yet but I have all of the attachments to stuff sausage on my LEM #8 Big Bite grinder.  I'm expecting it to work as it has nowhere else to go but out the grinder into the tube and casing.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 07:28:57 PM »

Are you asking about something that will work with your current set up or a stand alone?  I have a very simple Kitchener 5-Lb. vertical stuffer.  It is just a manual crank, but it only leaves about a patties worth of meat left between the tube and the little bit that wont come out of cylinder.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »

No stand alone. I leaned a long time ago a stuffer is a far better piece of equipment than a grinder. I can get the meat guy to grind for me how I want. but stuffing with a grinder down right sucks is you are trying to do smaller 20-23MM casing. 32-35 are okay depending on the size of the grinder. My #22 Cabelas worked well doing  2.5 and 3" casings for bologna, trying to do 20MM was like peeing in your hat. That is why I bought a stuffer, then I found a motor in the bargain cave for $100 off the guy plugged it in for me to show me it worked and when I told him I would take it he took another $20 of i got it for $100 only thing missing was the bolt to hold it on.

This is what I have only and older version, but you can see how the bottom is made plus it leaves maybe half an inch in the bottom.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 07:58:09 PM »

I have not tried mine yet but I have all of the attachments to stuff sausage on my LEM #8 Big Bite grinder.  I'm expecting it to work as it has nowhere else to go but out the grinder into the tube and casing.

The problem with trying to stuff with the grinder especially snack stick cases is it won't push it through fast enough so it just makes a pasty mess. Maybe if you had a thinner product to start with. We added some water to what I was stuffing today, but then I noticed my dehydrator which had jerky in for 6 hours had shut off so had to address that and should have added more water in to thin the mix so the motor would push it out. Easy fix one bolt removes the motor and the hand crank slips on I had the GF turn it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 08:25:14 PM »

I have an attachment to make snack sticks without casings too which is part of the hamburger patty attachment and ramp.  Haven't used it yet either.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 08:36:26 PM »

I have the Lem Mighty Bite 5# stuffer. It looks a lot like the one that Bentley has. And like his it leaves very little meat at the bottom when done. The one thing that I liked better about the Lem is that it has all steel gears. The trade off is that it costs more.
I see the new ones now have a protective cover over the gears. Someone must have got their neck tie caught in it.
FE PG 1000

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 10:18:03 PM »

All stuffers will leave some behind, but #1.25 seems like a lot. What I do with mine -  when the piston has bottomed out, back the piston all the way back and close the valve on it. Then using high speed gear (if you have a 2-speed), crank it down quickly so that the air pressure in the cylinder will force the meat out and into the casing. That gets most of it and leaves about a patties worth behind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up