Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 04 Jan 2021
  • Will you please post the recipe for the rolls.  Those are exactly what I have been trying for years to duplicate and have failed every time.  One more try can't hurt.
  • #2 by Free Mr. Tony on 04 Jan 2021
  • Will you please post the recipe for the rolls.  Those are exactly what I have been trying for years to duplicate and have failed every time.  One more try can't hurt.

The recipe for hoagie rolls came out of Bread Illustrated which is an America's Test kitchen book. The recipe is like any other you will see. I've quickly learned with the new mixer that most of what I was making (and probably most people using kitchenaid or hands) was under mixed.  Mix until it truly passes a window pane test. The dough literally comes out of my mixer in one long springy strand with a single pull, and is smooth and silky.
    This random video looks like most of the dough I've made lately.
    https://youtu.be/V3c_l1MkE0o

I typically work in grams but this book is not written that way which is super annoying, although I've made a ton of good recipes out of it.

27.5 ounces bread flour
    4 tsp active dry yeast
    1 Tbs salt
    16 ounces water
    3 Tbs olive oil
    1 large egg
    4 tsp sugar

Whisk flour, yeast, and salt together. Whisk the water, oil, egg and sugar together in a separate bowl.

Add wet to the dry. Mix until smooth and passes window pane. I usually mix about half the flour in first and get that nice and smooth before adding the rest.

Take out of the bowl and do a few slap and folds kind of like the video above to create a smooth ball.  Let rise for an hour or so. Punch down. I made five 12 inch loaves. They were about 270 grams each. May go down to 250 next time.

Press each ball into a 4 inch square. Fold the top half down into the center of the square. Rotate 180 and do the same on the other side. Take the top again and fold all the way to the other side to make a cylinder. Roll the cylinder out with your hands to about 12 inches. 

I bought these silicone inserts like we used to use when I worked at subway in highschool. They are awesome for this type of bread. Put them seam side down on whatever you are cooking on.

Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap until well risen. If you poke one lightly the indentation should hold without bouncing back much or looking like it's going to want to fall.

I slashed down the middle before baking (not sure if that's necessary).

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.

They come out super light and springy. After cooling you can pretty much flatten with your hands and it will spring back to full height.

I just made the recipe without any expectations of what it would be similar to. It is VERY similar to jersey mike's bread. I'm going to do some rosemary parmesan ones soon as that is what we usually get our jersey mike's on.

Let me know how it goes if you make them.

• #3 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Jan 2021
  • What is the window pane test?
  • #4 by Free Mr. Tony on 04 Jan 2021
  • What is the window pane test?

When the dough is done mixing, you should be able to stretch a large hunk up with your hands like taffy. Gently start pulling that hunk apart until it's super thin and you can see through it like a window pane. If the dough tears, it's either under or over mixed. Usually under.

Not my picture. Just pulled from net

• #5 by Bentley on 04 Jan 2021
  • I have something like your bread form, but about 2/3's the size.  I will order a spiral dough hook from Amazon and see if I can find your inserts and give it a go in a couple of days.  I have always figured that I was not mixing the bread to the correct consistency, but I never seemed to know what that is.  The video will certainly help.  Also have never gotten the proof right, but will work on that too!
  • #6 by Bentley on 07 Jan 2021
  • My KitchenAid spiral dough hook came today, will have to wait till Sunday for the 12 inch silicone forms.  Will use these in the mean time, just about half the size of yours.. 

I would like to ask a couple of questions.  When the dough is correctly "kneaded", how ever that maybe, i.e. hand, mixer...It should look and feel like the dough in the video?  About how long are you kneading in the new mixer?  No hand kneading at all?

I never seem to get the loaf forming correct either, but with my smaller trays, it will maybe be good practice for when the 12 inch forms get hear Sunday.  What do you think, about 130g of dough? I see rise time, but for proofing, all I see is you need to be an Artisan baker to do it correctly.  Any ball park on proof time?

In 61 years, I have never seen dough that looks like that video, I am looking forward to trying to accomplish that!

Had a Jersey Mikes #5 Super today, and for the 1st time ever, having a sandwich at Mikes was disappointing!  Although, as I think about it as I type and look at their website, I believe I like the #13 Original Italian and I blew the order!

• #7 by bregent on 07 Jan 2021
  • >Not sure the new Spiral dough hook will make a difference, but for $9 I was willing to try!

They work much better than the 'C' shaped hooks, but they only work on the KA Pro mixers - not the ones with the tilt up head like KSM.
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 07 Jan 2021
  • This particular dough recipe that I posted came out looking very very similar to that video.  Maybe a little less "wet" than the dough in the video.  The best description I can give is it's almost like an airy taffy consistency, and although it stretches a long way and easily it bounces right back almost like a rubber band.

My mixer pretty much eliminates any need for hand mixing. If yours doesn't come out like that. I would rest 30 minutes. Do a couple slap folds like the video. Rest 30 again, and redo slap and folds. Each time you do it, it's strengthening the gluten. After 2 or 3 rest and folds, you should get there even if it doesn't come out of the mixer quite there.

I mix mine for maybe 4 minutes on low and 6 or 8 minutes on medium, but I don't know that it will translate to a kitchenaid. I take the dough temp with an infrared often and try to end around 74 degrees. This dough ended at 78 when it looked right. I believe if you stay under 80 you will be ok. It will rise faster the hotter it is at the end of the mix. My mixer actually creates alot of friction so I start with ice cold water. Water temp kind of just depends on your mixer but I would start pretty cold to give yourself extra mixing time without heating the dough too much.

The poke test is the best for proofing readiness. Maybe when they are an inch or inch and a half above the form in the center of the loaf is about what mine seemed to be. 130g sounds about right for that form. The recipe has alot of yeast, so maybe and hour or hour and a half at most.

I had seen commercial dough before and kind of had given up on it thinking I would ever achieve it. The mixer helps a ton but Ive seen tons of people do it by hand as well. Just more resting and folding.
  • #9 by Bentley on 07 Jan 2021
  • That is disappointing to here.  Guess I will be doing some fabrication in the morning.

They work much better than the 'C' shaped hooks, but they only work on the KA Pro mixers - not the ones with the tilt up head like KSM.
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 08 Jan 2021
  • Can I scale this recipe? The egg would be my issue I guess. I could convert or weigh all the other ingredients to grams. 
  • #11 by Free Mr. Tony on 08 Jan 2021
  • Can I scale this recipe? The egg would be my issue I guess. I could convert or weigh all the other ingredients to grams.

Yeah. I always convert everything to bakers percentage. I forget the number but there is a standard gram conversion for a large egg. I'm sure it's not 100 percent accurate depending on the eggs but it's close enough for me.
  • #12 by Bentley on 08 Jan 2021
  • Have you ever stored this dough for later use?
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 08 Jan 2021

I freeze pizza dough for later use.
    Good for several weeks.
  • #14 by Free Mr. Tony on 08 Jan 2021

Not this particular recipe. I've only made this once. I freeze the loaves after baking. What were you thinking of doing?

Like O2, I freeze dough balls for pizza so I would imagine it would be ok.
  • #15 by Bentley on 08 Jan 2021
  • Going to turn oven on, proof is done.
Pages:
Actions