Pages:
Actions
  • #136 by Free Mr. Tony on 09 Feb 2021
  • Not exactly on point, but throwing it out there.  Any of you folks familiar with the Numero Uno Romano Puff Balls?  If so, do you have a recipe? I am willing to sell Bentley for that recipe.

I looked them up on Yelp. They look delicious. I've had similar items from various places over the years. The pool of butter is so good, but a bit frightening to look at.
  • #137 by Bentley on 09 Feb 2021
  • They were very good.  I have made them a few times.  I cant seem to get them to be light and airy, mine turn out more fritter like then puff.  But maybe if I mix the dough longer like I have been for the rolls, it might make a difference too!  I cant seem to get them in the oil after proofing without them collapsing!  You read the knock off recipes and they make it sound like you just ball them up and put in oil, and that dont work!
  • #138 by BigDave83 on 10 Feb 2021
  • Is this what you are talking about?

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/2012/06/romano-bread-puffs-with-basil-garlic.html

Feel free to delete link.

I searched because it sounded interesting. I found this and some pictures but nothing of them cut or bitten in half.

They almost look like the chinese donuts only they have cheese instead of sugar.  I use canned biscuits for them, I can go through 4 or 5 cans of them when we have a small gathering in the summer.
  • #139 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Feb 2021
  • Is this what you are talking about?

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/2012/06/romano-bread-puffs-with-basil-garlic.html

Feel free to delete link.

I searched because it sounded interesting. I found this and some pictures but nothing of them cut or bitten in half.

They almost look like the chinese donuts only they have cheese instead of sugar.  I use canned biscuits for them, I can go through 4 or 5 cans of them when we have a small gathering in the summer.

That's not exactly how they look -- they are completely round and fried, but not sweet like like donuts.  Bent has tried that recipe and it is not exactly like Numero Uno's.  And they shake romano on them and the butter pool they come in is a butter-garlic-romano mixture -- just fabulous!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #140 by Free Mr. Tony on 10 Feb 2021
  • They almost look like the chinese donuts only they have cheese instead of sugar.  I use canned biscuits for them, I can go through 4 or 5 cans of them when we have a small gathering in the summer.

This is how my mother made donuts. Canned biscuit dough. Used a cap or thimble to create the hole. Fried and shaken in a brown paper bag filled with sugar and/or cinnamon sugar. Fond memories.

I was a big kid and could polish off a can or so just on my own. I loved the donut holes especially.
  • #141 by BigDave83 on 10 Feb 2021
  • They almost look like the chinese donuts only they have cheese instead of sugar.  I use canned biscuits for them, I can go through 4 or 5 cans of them when we have a small gathering in the summer.

This is how my mother made donuts. Canned biscuit dough. Used a cap or thimble to create the hole. Fried and shaken in a brown paper bag filled with sugar and/or cinnamon sugar. Fond memories.

I was a big kid and could polish off a can or so just on my own. I loved the donut holes especially.

I use the small biscuits not grands size, and just do them whole, then into a pan of sugar or sugar and cinnamon.

Had the bright idea of doing cinnamon rolls one time. What a mess. They unrolled the sugar and cinnamon just melted out.
  • #142 by Bentley on 12 Feb 2021
  • The King Arthur's White Bread recipe with the bread rolled out and 40 minute proof and then baked.  No rise, just proof and bake for 15 minutes at 400°.  I think for these rolls at least, it will be my new method.

Maybe you bread people will tell me how the color is about a perfect as I could expect with no egg wash, no nothing!

• #143 by Free Mr. Tony on 12 Feb 2021
  • Those are looking really nice. Great color. 
  • #144 by 02ebz06 on 12 Feb 2021
  • I'm far from a bread expert, but they look darn good to me.
    I've got some dough on the counter for Bolillo's that will go into the oven in about 90 minutes.
    Hope they have as good a color as yours.
    Making Sourdough and Rye tomorrow. And pizza, can't forget Saturday pizza day.
  • #145 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • Those look great, Bentley.

I'm looking forward to seeing those bolillo rolls from 02 later today
  • #146 by 02ebz06 on 12 Feb 2021
  • Here they are...
    Had no trouble getting dough to double in size.    ;D

• #147 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • that one in the middle on the left looks great...give me 12 of them to go please!
  • #148 by 02ebz06 on 12 Feb 2021
  • that one in the middle on the left looks great...give me 12 of them to go please!

Guess you've figured out by now that I suck at shaping dough.  :(
  • #149 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021

Guess you've figured out by now that I suck at shaping dough.  :(

No way.  You are great.  Just replicate that one in the middle left more often ;D
  • #150 by 02ebz06 on 13 Feb 2021
  • Neither rain, nor snow, nor dark will stop the bread making.
    Pellet Grill definitely browns better than the house oven.

Made Sourdough and Rye.
    Cut loaf is rye.

Pages:
Actions