Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Free Mr. Tony on 09 Jan 2021
  • A couple observations. I would say you need alot more mixing in the mixer maybe at a higher speed toward the end. The dough should start to "close" while in the mixer. It should start pulling away from the sides, and start becoming more of a matte finish rather than shiny.

The proofing picture looks way overproofed, which was also my hunch looking at the crumb in yesterday's photo. You really want to catch the dough on the way up as opposed to after the "balloon" has started to deflate. Yours looked like it reached it's peak and was on the way back down.
  • #32 by Bentley on 09 Jan 2021
  • Noted.  The 12 inch forms come tomorrow, I might give it one more go.
  • #33 by Bentley on 10 Jan 2021
  • The Devil is in the detail.  I see it is Active Dry yeast and I have been using Instant, so I can't say I have given the recipe a fair shake.  Going to the store, maybe you will see this before I get back.  Even though you are using Active yeast you are not "blooming" it correct?  And just to really make sure I pay attention to detail, there is a difference between "Active" & "Instant" yeast?

One more time with this recipe, then I am going to loosen up the mind and just try a white bread recipe and see if it is more what I am looking for!  Since I basically want a giant hot dog bun!
  • #34 by WiPelletHead on 10 Jan 2021
  • When using instant dried yeast in place of active dried yeast you should use about 25% less according to Cooks Illustrated.
    https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6620-yeast-types
  • #35 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jan 2021
  • Here is a nice yeast conversion table...

http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm
  • #36 by Bentley on 10 Jan 2021
  • Thank you for the links, but it is not about conversions for me.  It is more about the recipe.  To the best of my knowledge, Active yeast should be bloomed, well, maybe the reason this recipe comes out the way it does for FMT is that step must be removed.  That is what I am trying to find out.
  • #37 by Free Mr. Tony on 10 Jan 2021
  • Thank you for the links, but it is not about conversions for me.  It is more about the recipe.  To the best of my knowledge, Active yeast should be bloomed, well, maybe the reason this recipe comes out the way it does for FMT is that step must be removed.  That is what I am trying to find out.

I followed the recipe by not blooming. I usually add the yeast to water in most recipes but I've done it both ways multiple times in many different recipes. I really don't think it makes much of a difference either way. I can't imagine you would get a vastly different outcome by doing it one way or the other.
  • #38 by Free Mr. Tony on 10 Jan 2021
  • Although I followed the recipe in this circumstance, yeast is the one thing I will change in any recipe. I adjust based on my schedule. Yeast amount should be dictated by how fast and controlled you would like your rise. The less yeast you use, the more control you have.

The dough will eventually get to the same point even if you use just a pinch of yeast. It may take 48 hours to get there, but it will get there. Obviously, there are other changes that occur during that time frame but ultimately I use an amount of yeast that I think will work best for when I will be home.
  • #39 by Bentley on 10 Jan 2021
  • We will see how these come out.  I decided to go with a white bread recipe and see if it would not have as much hard crust on it.  It is just an AP flour with a little butter and non fat milk.  Problem for with trying to turn loaf recipes into sandwich roll is deciding correct time (this recipe also calls to cook, then tent with aluminum foil and cook more).  I think that maybe an issue with the previous 2 try's with this recipe.  I am following directions for a 12 inch (130G) recipe, but using a 6 inch (130g) form.  I am also beginning to wonder how much ambient conditions have to do with outcome.  Many, many wonderful excuses I have though, so that is always a good thing!
  • #40 by Bentley on 10 Jan 2021
  • I think I finally have the mixing mastered.  And I have this as a good recipe to fall back on if needed.  The color will be easy to correct with an egg wash.  This batch needed about 3 more minutes, but that is also correctable.  I let it rise for about 45 minutes, and proofed for about 35-40.  Very please with inside and outside texture.  I think this will make great hot dog buns.

Now that I know what a correctly mixed dough looks like and believe I have a handle on rise and proof (Thank you FMT), will give the original recipe a try with the new bread forms and an egg wash!

• #41 by BigDave83 on 11 Jan 2021
  • Those are looking good.
  • #42 by Bentley on 11 Jan 2021
  • This is the recipe in this thread.  I have found with any dough recipe, it takes a long time to do with the KitchenAid, but smooth, well mixed dough can be achieved.  I just never knew what it was or to look for, so this site has give me that!  Thank you all.   This is not commercial bakery grade or even as good looking as the stuff Big Dave posted recently, but it seems to work much better then anything I have produced in the past!  The rolls are proofing, I am going to hit them with an egg wash today and bake, and I really believe I am going to have a winner.

Mixed dough
  • #43 by BigDave83 on 11 Jan 2021
  • You are a better guy than me I had dough slapping issues using both hands.

I don't remember Woman slapping dough, but  then I was not old enough to know I should be paying attention to her baking. I know she would make maybe 15 or 20 loaves at a time and gave most of it away. Maybe 4 loaves made the freezer and one for the counter.

I don't dig the kitchenaid out much usually once a year for cookies. But I have found it takes a lot of hand work out of the dough making.
  • #44 by Bentley on 11 Jan 2021
  • These are pretty good, but to be honest I think I like the King Arthur White Bread recipe a tad more.  These are pretty fine though.  Going to go to RD and buy the provolone, ham, prosciutto, cappacuolo (I am getting sopressata), salami, and pepperoni so I can make #13 when I want and not pay $9.

This concludes this portion of the Bread thread.

• #45 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Jan 2021
  • Out of curiosity, did it cost you less the $3.50 to make those six rolls?
Pages:
Actions