Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by 02ebz06 on 11 Jan 2021
  • Looks pretty tasty Bentley.   :clap:
  • #47 by BigDave83 on 11 Jan 2021
  • Out of curiosity, did it cost you less the $3.50 to make those six rolls?

I would say for the rolls I made I had $1-maybe $1.25 in them. It would have made 2 medium size loaves probably. Now if you put a value on your time, just go to the store and buy rolls. But if I am at home cooking other things it just fills the time for me, plus it smells good from the proofing of the yeast to the raise and of course the baking. Then fresh warm rolls are great reward. Even my poorly executed ones.
  • #48 by Free Mr. Tony on 11 Jan 2021
  • From the very small amount of crumb I can see in the last picture it looks like you got a nice airy texture. You look to be progressing nicely in your dough journey.
  • #49 by Free Mr. Tony on 11 Jan 2021
  • Out of curiosity, did it cost you less the $3.50 to make those six rolls?

I would say for the rolls I made I had $1-maybe $1.25 in them. It would have made 2 medium size loaves probably. Now if you put a value on your time, just go to the store and buy rolls. But if I am at home cooking other things it just fills the time for me, plus it smells good from the proofing of the yeast to the raise and of course the baking. Then fresh warm rolls are great reward. Even my poorly executed ones.

I have a looooong way to go before my break even point in bread baking.  Just in the last month or so I've spent:

Mixer- $1300
    Cart for mixer- $150
    Restaurant supply (dough bins, full sheet pans, odds and ends)- $90
    Dough molds- $40
    Fibrament stone-$96
    Proofing baskets- $88
    Couche- $15
    Specialty flours- At least $100
    3 new bread books- $100

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but I'd rather stop the list anyway...
  • #50 by ylr on 11 Jan 2021

• I have a looooong way to go before my break even point in bread baking.  Just in the last month or so I've spent:

Mixer- $1300
    Cart for mixer- $150
    Dough molds- $40
    Fibrament stone-$96
    Proofing baskets- $88
    Couche- $15
    3 new bread books- $100

You sound like the guys in my area that hunt deer...... ;)
  • #51 by Bentley on 11 Jan 2021
  • Going with cost of just ingredients, and this is as close as I can get:

Flour:.76¢
    Yeast:.50¢
    Egg.12¢
    EVOO:.24¢
    Salt:.02¢
    Sugar:.04¢
    Total:$1.68 + tax

Sorry, I do not have the IQ to figure out how many Kw it would take to pump up 16oz of well water, nor run an electric oven at 350° for 32 minutes. 

Out of curiosity, did it cost you less the $3.50 to make those six [5] rolls?
  • #52 by Bentley on 11 Jan 2021
  • I am very please.  I am going to RD this week for some cold cuts!  Not $11/lb. Martian's Deli Boars Head...

From the very small amount of crumb I can see in the last picture it looks like you got a nice airy texture. You look to be progressing nicely in your dough journey.
  • #53 by Bentley on 11 Jan 2021
  • Lets see, how do I phrase this.  Why is this necessary over say a tray in the oven?  How does this enhance the bread baking performance?  What makes cooking on a stone better then not cooking on a stone?  And is it better for any dough or bread technique or recipe?

Fibrament stone-$96
  • #54 by smokin soon on 12 Jan 2021
  • Breadmaking is no different than any other form of cooking , where personal style and preferences prevail.
    Bent's current quest for Hoagie Rolls no stone needed. Just gotta find what works for him.
    Sandwich rolls in my world come on 2 versions.
    Mine - Sourdoughs all the way. A long journey, but well worth it.
    Wifey - Wonder bread clone with potato flakes, dried milk sugar and butter. If it calls for 2 tbsp. use 4.
    It's all good, just takes time and patience.

• #55 by Free Mr. Tony on 12 Jan 2021
  • Lets see, how do I phrase this.  Why is this necessary over say a tray in the oven?  How does this enhance the bread baking performance?  What makes cooking on a stone better then not cooking on a stone?  And is it better for any dough or bread technique or recipe?

Fibrament stone-$96

For most loaves and sandwich rolls like you seem to be interested in, it would probably be totally unnecessary.

For baguettes, sourdough, and "artisan" type bread it provides a more direct transfer of heat into the bread. That along with steam create the oven spring that helps give the crust the look and texture that most are striving for when cooking those breads.
  • #56 by BigDave83 on 12 Jan 2021

• I have a looooong way to go before my break even point in bread baking.  Just in the last month or so I've spent:

Mixer- $1300
    Cart for mixer- $150
    Dough molds- $40
    Fibrament stone-$96
    Proofing baskets- $88
    Couche- $15
    3 new bread books- $100

You sound like the guys in my area that hunt deer...... ;)

I can understand this statement, we all probably can. When I used to shoot, I would go to a match with $2K+ worth of smallbore gun and $12 a box ammo to maybe win $10. To shoot pistol my box and guns were easy $7K, if I just shot some local matches you would get a $5 trophy for finishing in the top 3 of your class for the league. When I played with cars and hunted same thing. I had people that wanted me to get into Archery, I told them I would need to buy a larger house, because just like the target guns you need 4 or 5 of each then would have to make arrows and...

I can not imagine how much simpler life would be if I didn't go to excess when i would get into something.

• #57 by Kristin Meredith on 12 Jan 2021
  • Suddenly I don't feel so bad about that $125 tree and $25 rake! :pig:
  • #58 by 02ebz06 on 15 Jan 2021
  • Made some Cuban Bread today. Turned out pretty good.
    Moist and tender with just the lightest crispiness to the exterior.
    Will make good Cuban sandwiches some day.  Was just trying to get the recipe down now.
    As you can see, my forming of the loaves sucks.
  • #59 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Jan 2021
  • Now, show some sandwiches with that bread in the sandwich thread.  Those look great.  Is that a dowel that you had in the middle of each?
  • #60 by Bentley on 15 Jan 2021
  • Glad someone else is posting in here!  How long did you proof after placing in form?
Pages:
Actions