Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by 02ebz06 on 15 Jan 2021
  • Now, show some sandwiches with that bread in the sandwich thread.  Those look great.  Is that a dowel that you had in the middle of each?
    Traditional Cuban bread calls for a piece of twine run the length of the loaf, or a metal skewer.
    Since I didn't have metal skewers that long, I used wooden skewers.
    Could have used a Lame and slashed them just as easily I guess.
    Should have pushed them down in a little farther.
    I have some Prime Rib roast in the fridge.
    If it is thawed enough, will make a sammie for lunch tomorrow.

Glad someone else is posting in here!  How long did you proof after placing in form?

Starter in fridge for 24 hrs.
    Mix everything, then RT proof for 1.5  hrs
    Punch down and then proof again for another hour.
    Cut into pieces, then proof for 20 minutes.
    Then into kitchen oven on a pizza stone at 400 for 20 minutes.
    Too dang cold out or I would have done them in the Memphis.
    I misted them with water to give them a little crispiness.
  • #62 by Bentley on 15 Jan 2021
  • Is it sourdough?  Or do you just like to use starters for the flavor?
  • #63 by Free Mr. Tony on 15 Jan 2021
  • Bentley,

Here are 2 links that may give you some insight to the softness you are looking for. Both guys state that they like to leave in a plastic bag for a day before using to soften.

That actually sparked a memory from my Subway days. We would bake the bread, let cool fully, then stack in plastic bags to soften. I don't believe they do that anymore at subway. When we were super busy we would nearly run out of bread so we had to use it nearly fresh baked. It was much crispier on the day of the bake.

https://youtu.be/rR8oA5ACqPg

https://youtu.be/D9Vn2i6uwZY
  • #64 by Bentley on 15 Jan 2021
  • Since your help with the mixing, rise & proofing they are more then soft enough.  I do not like the way mine freeze and thaw, they seems to contract in the process and do not fully inflated when thawed!  I am going to try the King Arthur White bread recipe again and see if they freeze any better! 

I must say, i am going to see if I can hunt down that glass cutter the guy used in the 1st video to score the bread before cooking, it looked very sweet!
  • #65 by 02ebz06 on 16 Jan 2021
  • Is it sourdough?  Or do you just like to use starters for the flavor?

Not sourdough. Directions just say to make it with flour, water, and IDY.
    Calls for making it 12 hrs ahead and leaving sit in a cool place.
    I just made it about 20 hrs ahead and put in fridge, and it worked fine.
    Didn't feel like making it late at night.

Recipe came from  --> globaltableadventure.

Bentley, a regular double edged razor blade works great for scoring. Usually in most lame's.
    I always had problems scoring until I found out the you have to do it fast.
    If you drag it slowly, it just pulls the dough.

• #66 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Jan 2021
  • Bread looks good 02. I haven't used the dowel or skewer trick yet. I have a telero roll recipe where you use a wide dowel to make the indentation that I've been wanting to try.
  • #67 by Free Mr. Tony on 22 Jan 2021
  • I tried the rosemary parmesan version of my accidental jersey mike's bread last weekend. I made the mistake of adding in some "artisan" flour to what was supposed to mimick a commercial product. Not a great idea.

Tonight, I used "trash" flour to again try to mimick jersey mike's rosemary parm bread. For me, this is the pinnacle for sub bread especially for a cold/room temp sandwich.
    Arguments could be made for better options for hot or wet subs, but no matter what this bread will become a staple to have on hand in my freezer.

For some reason, I'm thinking meatball subs tomorrow to see how this holds up for that type of application.

• #68 by Bentley on 23 Jan 2021
  • I might have to try splitting the top just because it seems to spread the width of the loaf and I like that.
  • #69 by 02ebz06 on 23 Jan 2021
  • I tried the rosemary parmesan version of my accidental jersey mike's bread last weekend. I made the mistake of adding in some "artisan" flour to what was supposed to mimick a commercial product. Not a great idea.

Tonight, I used "trash" flour to again try to mimick jersey mike's rosemary parm bread. For me, this is the pinnacle for sub bread especially for a cold/room temp sandwich.
    Arguments could be made for better options for hot or wet subs, but no matter what this bread will become a staple to have on hand in my freezer.

For some reason, I'm thinking meatball subs tomorrow to see how this holds up for that type of application.

Look really good!
    Once I get my starter fully healthy ( a few days), will be making a couple loaves of San Francisco style (whatever that is).

I might have to try splitting the top just because it seems to spread the width of the loaf and I like that.

I've found that if you flatten the dough before you put it in the oven, that helps to spread it out some.
    The trays tend counteract that though.

• #70 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jan 2021
  • That bread looks great.  Please post pics of that meatball sub in the sandwich thread for everyone to salivate over.
  • #71 by Bentley on 23 Jan 2021
  • So how is the rosemary applied?

Tonight, I used "trash" flour to again try to mimick jersey mike's rosemary parm bread.
  • #72 by Free Mr. Tony on 23 Jan 2021
  • So how is the rosemary applied?

Tonight, I used "trash" flour to again try to mimick jersey mike's rosemary parm bread.

I just sprayed with water after slashing, and then sprinkled dried rosemary and medium grated parmesan over the top.
  • #73 by Free Mr. Tony on 24 Jan 2021
  • That bread looks great.  Please post pics of that meatball sub in the sandwich thread for everyone to salivate over.

Will do. Just got around to making the meatballs today so it may be today or sometime this week.

I did figure out last night that a long toasting in the oven does not do this bread any favors. I made a stromboli which I put open faced in the oven for about 7 or 8 minutes. It definitely takes away the characteristics that make me like this bread so much. The softness and springy nature is baked right out of it. I still prefer the turano style roll for toasted applications.

So, the meatball sub will more than likely be pre-toaster ovens Subway style. Piping hot meatballs and sauce placed on top of thin sliced cheese laying on untoasted bread. Then a heavy sprinkling of parmesan. The heat from the sauce should sufficiently melt the cheeses and I will still have the soft springy bread intact. I would think that the high gluten bread should hold up to the sauce pretty well without falling apart.
  • #74 by hughver on 25 Jan 2021
  • My first attempt at Baguettes. I'll try a Po'boy sandwich later today
  • #75 by 02ebz06 on 25 Jan 2021
  • My first attempt at Baguettes. I'll try a Po'boy sandwich later today

Look pretty good.   :clap:
Pages:
Actions