Pages:
Actions
  • #91 by hughver on 26 Jan 2021
  • Looks like I need some equipment to make bread when I retire.

I'm not a real bread maker, so far, the only thing that I use is an el cheapo ($49) bread machine. I've made some bread in it but mostly use it for mixing/kneading/fermenting the dough, I then shape and bake in the oven.
  • #92 by hughver on 26 Jan 2021
  • I'll take two to go!  :lick:
  • #93 by Bentley on 26 Jan 2021
  • I think I am almost ready to try a loaf of bread with this recipe.
  • #94 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Jan 2021
  • So how was the sandwich?
  • #95 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 Jan 2021
  • Rustic light rye

That looks xxxx near perfect.
  • #96 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 Jan 2021

• Structure looks good. Top looks fairly pale. Very similar to my overproofed first batch of the jersey mike's style. There are other reasons it would be pale, but overproofed is the likely culprit. All of the sugars that help color the bread are spent prior to baking I believe is the theory.

Your suspicion that you overproofed was probably correct. Nevertheless, your loaves are looking better and better.
  • #97 by Bentley on 26 Jan 2021
  • Good, but I forgot the provolone!
  • #98 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 Jan 2021
  • I probably don't want to be screwing around with our Kitchen Aid so I would look at what FMT bought.  I also need some of those things that form the rolls too for long hoagie rolls.  Do they make similar forms for hot dog/sausage/brat and hamburger rolls?

They make all kinds of shapes. I may buy the hamburger bun form next, although hamburger shape is easier than hoagie so I don't know that it's needed unless you wanted super uniform buns.
  • #99 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Jan 2021
  • When are one of you guys going to make some bolillos for tortas?  I loved those rolls I used to buy in Tecate on the way home from work.
  • #100 by BigDave83 on 26 Jan 2021
  • That is a great looking sammie, Bentley.

Bregent, I love Rye toast especially with my eggs and sausages. I would be a toasting fool with that loaf.
  • #101 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 Jan 2021
  • When are one of you guys going to make some bolillos for tortas?  I loved those rolls I used to buy in Tecate on the way home from work.

Those types of rolls from a local latin grocery is one of the reasons I started researching bread more. I wanted to know how they made them almost weightless. I'm on my way with this mixer I think but haven't tried them yet.
  • #102 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Jan 2021
  • By the time I get around to having the desire to make bread, you will have figured out everything I would want to make so I am grateful for you sharing your stories.
  • #103 by 02ebz06 on 27 Jan 2021
  • Here are some pics of some Sourdough bread and Sourdough Crackers we made today.
    Just can't get rise and color out of the loaves that I would like since we moved from Texas.
    Taste great, just not happy with the way they look, but they will get eaten.  ;D

Crackers have Rosemary in them and sprinkled with Cypress Sea Salt.
    They came out good, and taste good too.

• #104 by Peterwoody on 27 Jan 2021
  • O2, are you using active sourdough or discards to make the crackers?
  • #105 by bregent on 27 Jan 2021
  • >Just can't get rise and color out of the loaves that I would like since we moved from Texas.

Rise looks good, but color looks like over-proofing. What is your formula and workflow for that loaf?
Pages:
Actions