Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bread thread.  (Read 60089 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: The Bread thread.
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2021, 07:42:28 PM »

Not exactly on point, but throwing it out there.  Any of you folks familiar with the Numero Uno Romano Puff Balls?  If so, do you have a recipe? I am willing to sell Bentley for that recipe.

I looked them up on Yelp. They look delicious. I've had similar items from various places over the years. The pool of butter is so good, but a bit frightening to look at.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2021, 11:04:50 PM »

They were very good.  I have made them a few times.  I cant seem to get them to be light and airy, mine turn out more fritter like then puff.  But maybe if I mix the dough longer like I have been for the rolls, it might make a difference too!  I cant seem to get them in the oil after proofing without them collapsing!  You read the knock off recipes and they make it sound like you just ball them up and put in oil, and that dont work!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2021, 07:52:30 AM »

Is this what you are talking about?

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/2012/06/romano-bread-puffs-with-basil-garlic.html

Feel free to delete link.

I searched because it sounded interesting. I found this and some pictures but nothing of them cut or bitten in half.

They almost look like the chinese donuts only they have cheese instead of sugar.  I use canned biscuits for them, I can go through 4 or 5 cans of them when we have a small gathering in the summer.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2021, 08:47:23 AM »

Is this what you are talking about?

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/2012/06/romano-bread-puffs-with-basil-garlic.html

Feel free to delete link.

I searched because it sounded interesting. I found this and some pictures but nothing of them cut or bitten in half.

They almost look like the chinese donuts only they have cheese instead of sugar.  I use canned biscuits for them, I can go through 4 or 5 cans of them when we have a small gathering in the summer.

That's not exactly how they look -- they are completely round and fried, but not sweet like like donuts.  Bent has tried that recipe and it is not exactly like Numero Uno's.  And they shake romano on them and the butter pool they come in is a butter-garlic-romano mixture -- just fabulous!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:15:18 AM by Kristin Meredith »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »

This is how my mother made donuts. Canned biscuit dough. Used a cap or thimble to create the hole. Fried and shaken in a brown paper bag filled with sugar and/or cinnamon sugar. Fond memories.

I was a big kid and could polish off a can or so just on my own. I loved the donut holes especially.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2021, 11:54:50 AM »

This is how my mother made donuts. Canned biscuit dough. Used a cap or thimble to create the hole. Fried and shaken in a brown paper bag filled with sugar and/or cinnamon sugar. Fond memories.

I was a big kid and could polish off a can or so just on my own. I loved the donut holes especially.

I use the small biscuits not grands size, and just do them whole, then into a pan of sugar or sugar and cinnamon.

Had the bright idea of doing cinnamon rolls one time. What a mess. They unrolled the sugar and cinnamon just melted out.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »

The King Arthur's White Bread recipe with the bread rolled out and 40 minute proof and then baked.  No rise, just proof and bake for 15 minutes at 400°.  I think for these rolls at least, it will be my new method.

Maybe you bread people will tell me how the color is about a perfect as I could expect with no egg wash, no nothing!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2021, 02:55:33 PM »

Those are looking really nice. Great color. 

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »

I'm far from a bread expert, but they look darn good to me.
I've got some dough on the counter for Bolillo's that will go into the oven in about 90 minutes.
Hope they have as good a color as yours.
Making Sourdough and Rye tomorrow. And pizza, can't forget Saturday pizza day.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2021, 03:03:18 PM »

Those look great, Bentley.

I'm looking forward to seeing those bolillo rolls from 02 later today
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2021, 06:01:32 PM »

Here they are...
Had no trouble getting dough to double in size.    ;D

Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2021, 06:12:40 PM »

that one in the middle on the left looks great...give me 12 of them to go please!
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2021, 06:28:42 PM »

that one in the middle on the left looks great...give me 12 of them to go please!

Guess you've figured out by now that I suck at shaping dough.  :(

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »

Guess you've figured out by now that I suck at shaping dough.  :(

No way.  You are great.  Just replicate that one in the middle left more often ;D

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2021, 09:38:47 PM »

Neither rain, nor snow, nor dark will stop the bread making.
Pellet Grill definitely browns better than the house oven.

Made Sourdough and Rye.
Cut loaf is rye.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47   Go Up