Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Michigan Folks  (Read 1550 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Question for Michigan Folks
« on: January 08, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »

Not food related but trying to tap into local knowledge. When we went on our short trip up to Michigan in the fall, we drove over to the pretty town of Holland and I learned a bit about their tulip festival. It is being held this year from May 1 (Sat) until May 9 (Monday).  From some other posts, I gather they can have a million visitors in that period.  I would really love to see the tulips, but am just not excited about fighting crowds.

So, for you folks up in that part of the world, is there any "shoulder season" for the tulips -- and if so, better to go a few days before May 1 or maybe go on May 10 or 11?  Thanks for any insight.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Question for Michigan Folks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 05:42:32 PM »

This is sort of related to your inquiry—it's an alternative.  Iowa has quite a lot of people of Dutch ancestry.  Two cities, Pella and Orange City have tulip festivals.  Theirs are probably not as crowded.

Orange City info.

Pella info.

EDIT:  Corrected incorrect em-dash (—) display caused by server update.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:21:58 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 06:25:15 PM »

Thanks for that info Paul, I will check them out.

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »

Years ago I worked in Holland and commuted in the Tulip Time traffic. While it was busy, the traffic was not awful. A large percentage of the people who come are on tour busses, so they are fairly well self contained when they make their rounds to the various events. There are a lot of parades, Dutch dancers, and a variety of shows that can be fun; there really is a lot of community involvement. A good friend of mine lives right in town on Tulip Lane. He puts on his Dutch costume each year and plays his banjo on the street corner. That's something you're just not going to see everywhere!!

The festival is scheduled for May 1-9 this year. If you are interested in just seeing the flowers and some of the attractions, don't feel like you need to be there for the festival. They have early and late blooming tulips, so you can usually catch them before and after the festivities take place. Also, depending on the weather it is not uncommon for the flowers to peak a week or so before or after the festival. I can remember one year it was called the stem festival by the locals because it had been a long winter and they had not bloomed yet! 

This may be one of the few times Covid may work in your favor. Last year they called off Tulip Time, but that doesn't keep the flowers from blooming! The only thing I see listed on the website for activities are the artesian market and outdoor garden tours. My guess is there is a good chance most of the events will be called off and there will not be nearly the normal sized crowds.

I hope you decide to come, there is a lot to see in Michigan. I do feel obligated to put in a plug for Northern Michigan! May is also when the cherries start to blossom, there are a lot of scenic orchards. It is a great time to see Lake Michigan and the Grand Traverse area!!

https://tuliptime.com/

https://www.awesomemitten.com/traverse-city-cherry-blossoms/

Only in Holland!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 10:15:15 PM »

I think if you avoid the actual events like the parade, the crowds are fairly manageable. We've been there several times during tulip season where it is busy but not overwhelming. You just do not want to be downtown during the parade if you are trying to avoid crowds like me.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 08:37:51 AM »

I really am just interested in viewing and being able to see the tulips.  I read they plant thousands on, I think, Windmill Island and also a great display at a park (Dunston Park?).  This is not meant as an insult to the folks of Holland, who I am sure work very hard on all the events, I just have no interest in parades or dance exhibits or shopping, etc. (well, I would buy bulbs!).  The gardener is me just wants to see what seems to be a tremendous display of tulips.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 06:48:27 PM »

I really am just interested in viewing and being able to see the tulips. 

I talked with my friend in Holland, he said he has not heard any official word on the Tulip Festival. However, based on the rumors he has heard (from unnamed but reliable sources) it is probably a good bet that there will not be a traditional festival this year with all the hoopla and parades.

However, the flowers will still be in bloom. Windmill Island and the tulip farms should still be open. If you are into more flowers and less hoopla, this would be a great year to come!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 09:50:43 PM »

Thanks JD, great info and I may be one of the few that benefits this year. Sorry for the people of Holland because I assume it is both and income maker and source of community pride, but I bet they will bust records in 2022!!!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 10:30:00 PM »

Alright, 1st road trip of the year already in the planning stage.  Hope the fishing on Lake Michigan is good at this time of year, cuz me and Bonnie (an anyone else who wants to go) are going out!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 12:31:51 PM »

So, we are about a month out from our trip and really hoping we hit a time of good tulips.  I am following "Tulip Time" on fb and they posted this video today. Not only is it  incredibly beautiful, but just so peaceful to watch all those bulbs in bloom pass by.  It must be incredible to live in Holland at that time of year!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEtASHewSEc

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 02:14:33 PM »

Looks like we will be going a different route to Michigan this year, 1st night in Piqua OH, jut north of Dayton.  Any eating suggestion from any one for this Berg?

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »

Looks like we will be going a different route to Michigan this year, 1st night in Piqua OH, jut north of Dayton.  Any eating suggestion from any one for this Berg?

Just before Covid shut everything down last year my daughter and I were in Dayton on our way to Kentucky to check out schools. We ended up stopping for dinner at the Carillon Historical Park where they have a restaurant and brewery that is actually part of the museum. It was quite interesting. We got there too late to go in the museum, but the food was good. However, the menu is a very limited. If you have the time, stop at the Air Force Museum.

https://www.daytonhistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2021_CBCFoodMenu.pdf

https://www.daytonhistory.org/

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 10:05:51 PM »

I hear the tulips are blooming in Holland, but they are struggling in the north country. This is what we were dealing with yesterday morning!

Safe travels!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »

Heading out Monday!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 10:09:49 PM »

Heading out Monday!

48 or so hours from passing each other across I-81
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up