Pages:
Actions
  • #226 by 02ebz06 on 09 Apr 2021
  • I'm with Okie as also. Well said.
  • #227 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Apr 2021
  • Except the death rate for children by COVID is virtually non-existent -- in the 0 to 17 year age group it is 246 out of about 534,000 deaths and nearly every one of those children have had a significant underlying health issue.  For 18 to 29 year old's it is 1957 out of 534,000 and again, many have had significant underlying health issues.

I have no children so this is probably easy for me to say, but I would not have them take this vaccine.  At 64, it is a no brainer for me.  At those young ages, not sure why risk it.
    Your conclusion is logical. But I am not convinced that it will turn out to be a correct one in the long view.  If the vaccine does turn out to be very safe, (Other than the rare allergic response which can happen with any foreign substance we inject or ingest), then it would be worth considering vaccination of everyone, as we do with smallpox, measles, mumps, chickenpox etc. The object being to remove this virus (or current form of it) from exposure to the whole world population. Smallpox for example is literally gone, except for keeping a small amount in very secure labs in case it is needed in the future for some reason. Actually, the vaccine for smallpox was and is made from Cowpox virus. We are not susceptible to Cowpox, but we do get full immunity to Smallpox from it.
    So if the vaccine is safe, which I trust it will be concluded, it may be worth considering giving it to younger children as well in the future. Even tho they usually don't die or get very sick from this virus, they are still capable of carrying and incubating it to levels that can be contagious to grandma and gramps, who are often involved in their care, and to those with impaired health as well. Meanwhile the hysteria (unfounded) that vaccination in general is not good for our kids is misguided IMO. If not for vaccinations, many of the people you know would not have made it to adulthood. And reaching 90+ years would be a rarity instead of common as it is now.  So for now, being cautious may be wise, but in the future, who knows? Also, if the vaccine is safe as it appears to be, the risk to young children of taking it, still appears to be less than the risk of getting the disease. That one rare susceptible child if vaccinated may be here to enjoy his 90th birthday (perhaps if he dodges life's other risks).

I don't disagree with the idea of vaccinating children in the future.  But I can see a parent wanting to have a longer term study done re any effects of this vaccine given the current death rate among children.  If this was polio, I would have a different conclusion because unknown potential long term effects would not be outweighed by the devastation of polio.  But I think this is different and I don't blame parents for wanting a longer term study when they may be affecting their child's life years in the future.
  • #228 by okie smokie on 09 Apr 2021
  • KM, I don't think we are in disagreement. Just a matter of "how long to wait and see" is the issue. I don't think there were many short cuts exhibited in the manufacture of the current vaccines, and testing standpoint.  The short cuts were mostly in the paper shuffling bureaucracy end of development.  Perhaps like our court system, where a convicted killer may wait to be officially sentenced 6 to 8 weeks after being convicted.  Processing data takes time, but if enough qualified personnel are made available it can be speeded up dramatically. Which it was.
    Anyhow, it is really a pleasure to be able to discuss this subject in this great forum we have at PF.
  • #229 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Apr 2021
  • Okie, I don't think we are in disagreement either.  And I feel the vaccine is safe for adults, and feel comfortable with all the protocols for adults. But there has not been extensive testing on children and time is on the side of caution for kids in this instance.  And it is always nice to carry out dialogs with people who truly understand the meaning of civil discourse!

• #230 by slaga on 09 Apr 2021
  • Speaking of kids and vaccinations... My 17 year old daughter competes in a team sport that we do quite a bit of travelling for. She competes all over the South and South East. She has had a handful of her team mates contract the virus in the last year or so. None of which developed into anything serious. She is flying from Texas to Florida in the next few weeks for a competition. We decided to have her get vaccinated as well.
  • #231 by reubenray on 12 Apr 2021
  • My wife and I got the J&J vaccine shots this morning at a drive thru clinic.  It was very well run and we in and out in about 45 minutes.
  • #232 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Apr 2021
  • I got the shot about 12:30pm last Thursday.  Less than 24 hours later, I only felt a soreness where the shot was injected.  I decided to drive 6 hours to Roanoke to get started on my drive south.  I  did end up sleeping about 10 hours that evening.  Drove 4 hours on Saturday and stopped in Knoxville for some BBQ and beer.  Drove 9 hours to final destination on Sunday.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones with little side effects from both Moderna shots.  My wife had her first Pfizer shot this morning.  Will see how she does with it.  She just had her gallbladder removed two weeks ago and is still sore from that.
  • #233 by Th3Batman86 on 12 Apr 2021
  • Got my first shot of Moderna last Wednesday. Arm soreness similar to tetanus for about 48 hours. No other noticeable symptoms. I felt like maybe I had a low grade fever that night but the thermometer did not agree with that assessment. Second shot is May 6th. I am told that the second shot is when people are starting to get the flu like symptoms.
  • #234 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Apr 2021
  • Here was my process after 2nd shot.

I ate a Wawa hoagie about a 90 minutes before my shot to have some solid food in my stomach.  Got home after the shot and drank a quart of Gatorade.  Drank 5+ pints of water the rest of the afternoon.  Ate a can of Progresso chicken noodle soup with about 5 shakes of Melinda's chipotle habanero hot sauce in it for dinner.

I'm claiming that as my solution for fending off any side effects other than the sore arm.
  • #235 by 02ebz06 on 12 Apr 2021
  • Here was my process after 2nd shot.

I ate a Wawa hoagie about a 90 minutes before my shot to have some solid food in my stomach.  Got home after the shot and drank a quart of Gatorade.  Drank 5+ pints of water the rest of the afternoon.  Ate a can of Progresso chicken noodle soup with about 5 shakes of Melinda's chipotle habanero hot sauce in it for dinner.

I'm claiming that as my solution for fending off any side effects other than the sore arm.

Eat and drink. How can you go wrong...
  • #236 by hughver on 12 Apr 2021
  • Copious amount of adult beverage works also. ;)
  • #237 by Brushpopper on 13 Apr 2021
  • Copious amount of adult beverage works also. ;)

That's my plan for Friday evening.  I get my second Moderna Friday morning at 11.  It's strictly for medicinal purposes.  :beer:
  • #238 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Apr 2021
  • From what I read, it is not recommended to drink alcoholic beverages within at least 24 hours before or after the shot.  I waited until about 30 hours after both times
  • #239 by okie smokie on 13 Apr 2021
  • Looks like the FDA is doing it's thing with the J&J vaccine.  6 cases of rare blood clotting reported after 6.7million vaccinations. I suspect that it will turn out to be no more than the incidence in the unvaccinated public. But we shall see. Expect lots of jabber on the news and wide stock market fluctuations today.  Meanwhile life goes on.
  • #240 by reubenray on 13 Apr 2021
  • From what I read, it is not recommended to drink alcoholic beverages within at least 24 hours before or after the shot.  I waited until about 30 hours after both times

My wife and I both had a beer yesterday afternoon.  It has been about 24 house since we got our J&J shots.  I have had no reactions except for soreness at the shot location.  My wife woke up during the night with the shakes, nausea and bad headache.  She is feeling some better now, but she went back to bed to try to get some sleep.  She now is freaking about the blood clots and the pausing of the shots.  My brother and SIL cancelled their appointments to get the shot today due to this.
Pages:
Actions