Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Has Received the Vaccine?  (Read 22415 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Who Has Received the Vaccine?
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2021, 11:40:05 AM »

From what I read, it is not recommended to drink alcoholic beverages within at least 24 hours before or after the shot.  I waited until about 30 hours after both times

My wife and I both had a beer yesterday afternoon.  It has been about 24 house since we got our J&J shots.  I have had no reactions except for soreness at the shot location.  My wife woke up during the night with the shakes, nausea and bad headache.  She is feeling some better now, but she went back to bed to try to get some sleep.  She now is freaking about the blood clots and the pausing of the shots.  My brother and SIL cancelled their appointments to get the shot today due to this.
The rate is less that one in a million. The incidence of deep vein thrombosis in the general public is one in a thousand on an annual basis. Reminds me of a joke:
Husband and wife are listening to the news, and the newscaster says " Chance of a meteor striking your house is one in ten billion." at which point the husband faints and falls to the floor unconscious. When he arouses his wife says "why did you faint? The news man said the chances were only one in 10 billion." To which the husbands sighs in relief and says "Oh, I thought he said one in 10 million".   

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2021, 10:38:12 AM »

I got my second Moderna vaccine yesterday at 11AM.  Around 830 last night my back started feeling sore so I sat with a heating pad on it and watched some TV for about an hour and that helped quite a bit.  I went to bed a little after 10 and felt like I was kind of in a mild mental fog.  I slept pretty well but I couldn't sleep on my left side because the injection spot was too sore.  I got up this morning sore all over like I had a really good workout yesterday.  After some coffee and a couple of hours of being up and moving around I'm fine.  My wife is pretty much to same as far as how she feels.  I was afraid it would touch off her arthritis but so far it hasn't.  She got hers at 330 yesterday afternoon, so we have a little time differential between us.  She hasn't complained about anything at least so far.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

urnmor

« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2021, 11:52:21 AM »

Our son came down with the virus shortly after he had his first shot.  He and his boss caught it at work from a new employee.   He did have a fever of 104 that broke within a day or two.  Now he has lost his ability to taste and smell.  He is going on his fifth day of quarantine and says all food taste like mush.  Hopefully he will get his taste buds and sense of smell back quickly but he knows it can last two weeks or even longer

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2021, 10:55:06 AM »

Our son came down with the virus shortly after he had his first shot.  He and his boss caught it at work from a new employee.   He did have a fever of 104 that broke within a day or two.  Now he has lost his ability to taste and smell.  He is going on his fifth day of quarantine and says all food taste like mush.  Hopefully he will get his taste buds and sense of smell back quickly but he knows it can last two weeks or even longer

Best of luck to your son.  I know some people who have contracted this and each experience seems to differ.  Some never lost the smell and taste, others did.  One of the people had his smell and taste come back in a couple weeks, the other, after a couple months, is still not normal.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »

It has been a week now since my wife and I got the J&J shots and all is good.  My wife suffered for several days, but I had not ill effects except for a sore arm.  We were told to wear our mask for two weeks and then we could quit wearing them.  My wife wears it, but I wear it about half the time.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

dk117

« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2021, 03:20:47 PM »

I'm pleased to report my 17 year old daughter and I received our initial Pfizer dose on Saturday.   Incredibly fast, efficient and professional.  May 8th we'll get our second.  We'll be socializing prior to the second shot.  Time for us to move forward IMO.  Not true for everyone, but true for us. 

DK
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:48:21 PM by dk117 »
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »

I'm pleased to report my 17 year old daughter and I received our initial Pfizer dose on Saturday.   Incredibly fast, efficient and professional.  May 8nd we'll get our second.  We'll be socializing prior to the second shot.  Time for us to move forward IMO.  Not true for everyone, but true for us. 

DK

We are waiting to socialize (poker game already planned  ;D) until after our 2nd shot in 3 days and 6 minutes, but who's counting.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »

In case you didn't see the Nashville Trip thread, I have been socializing since a day or so after the second shot.  Thursday will be my 2 week period after the second shot.  If I come back from this trip without catching covid, I will be ready to go to stadiums for some sporting events.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2021, 12:38:45 PM »

Looks like we may not get out of the woods for a while.
The experts say soon we will be hitting the tipping point where there is more vaccine than the people that want to take it.
This will impact getting to the herd immunity level which would contain the spread of the virus.

Also say that after having both shots, you should only socialize with people that have had both shots.
Just because you can't get sick from it, it doesn't mean you can't carry it and spread it to others.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/supply-vs-demand-when-will-the-scales-tip-on-covid-19-vaccination-in-the-u-s/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:42:08 PM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2021, 01:06:54 PM »

If this statement is in regards to waiting until everyone has had the opportunity, I can accept this reasoning. 

But speaking as someone who has no intention of getting vaccinated.  You don't have to worry about giving it to me, that is a choice I have made and I have no problem accepting the realities that go along with that decision.

Also say that after having both shots, you should only socialize with people that have had both shots.
Just because you can't get sick from it, it doesn't mean you can't carry it and spread it to others.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »

Looks like we may not get out of the woods for a while.
The experts say soon we will be hitting the tipping point where there is more vaccine than the people that want to take it.
This will impact getting to the herd immunity level which would contain the spread of the virus.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/supply-vs-demand-when-will-the-scales-tip-on-covid-19-vaccination-in-the-u-s/

Don't know how this works for me and Bent.  I am vaccinated, he isn't ever going to be.  So what, I make him move out?  Also, we are going to MI in about 10 days so in the car together.

Further, there is not one expert, who, if they are being truly intellectually honest, can tell us when herd immunity will be reached for this virus, there simply isn't the data to make that prediction.  I guess I agree with Harry Truman, experts should be on tap not on top.  I will listen to what they have to say and make my own decisions.  And after 30 years of both retaining and deposing experts on a variety of topics, I can guarantee I can find plenty who will support whatever view I want them to support.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »

I think what they are trying to say is that when the majority have been vaccinated (herd immunity), people getting sick from the virus will go way down and will greatly reduce the spreading of the virus.
Reason being, the majority of the people you would come in contact with would be vaccinated, so you can't make them sick, and they can't make you sick.
In you situation Kristin, you could go to the store, pick up a can off the shelf that someone with the virus picked up and put back.
You could then go home and pass it to Bentley.
That situation may or may not be far fetched, but you get the point.
Also the reason to wear masks, wash hands, social distance, yadda, yadda, after being vaccinated.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:17:14 PM by 02ebz06 »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »

Yes, I have understood for a year how transmission works and what herd immunity is. And now the CDC is saying that transmission from touching objects is virtually non-existent.  That wasn't my point.  My point is that he is never to be vaccinated and I am, so under their reasoning we should have nothing to do with each other which is not possible.  Sometimes experts live in a world of theory not reality.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:11:48 PM by Kristin Meredith »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2021, 06:52:04 PM »

So since 1 in 5 say they will not get vaccinated, is 80% your definition of herd immunity?

I think what they are trying to say is that when the majority have been vaccinated (herd immunity), people getting sick from the virus will go way down and will greatly reduce the spreading of the virus.
Reason being, the majority of the people you would come in contact with would be vaccinated, so you can't make them sick, and they can't make you sick.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2021, 12:01:40 AM »

So since 1 in 5 say they will not get vaccinated, is 80% your definition of herd immunity?

I have been wondering about herd immunity for a while.
I was speaking with the pharmacist at my store regarding the fact that the J&J vaccine was said to be "only" around 70% and the other 2 were said to be in the upper 90s. Anyway, he made the comment that the flu vaccine is only 30%-40% effective. I asked why we even bother and he said "herd immunity"
If we can reach herd immunity with less than half of the population getting a vaccine that is at best 40% effective then why do we need so many people to get the Covid vaccine to reach herd immunity?
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Up