Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Has Received the Vaccine?  (Read 22432 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Who Has Received the Vaccine?
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »

Latest misdirection: The MRNA vaccines cause myocarditis.  Technically true but in minuscule numbers. Sounds scary but reports now reveal the sx are very mild or not at all, and it resolves quickly with no known residual.  Well, I thought back to the days when I was a medical resident and fellow in cardio-pulmonary disease. My cardiologist mentor was in process of writing a book on diseases of the myocardium. (that is diseases that affected the muscle tissue of the heart). He asked me if I would be interested in writing a chapter for the book on viral diseases that affected the myocardium. Naively I said yes.  Having no such experience, I started by checking out every journal and book from the Southwestern Medical School Library in Dallas that had articles or info on virus and the heart. That was in 1966! I was overwhelmed by number and variety of virus involvement. Some virus's causing serious illness and others only incidental changes in rhythm and ECG patterns.  Bottom line: many viruses including measles, mumps, chicken pox, hepatitis A and B, influenza, etc can cause changes in ECG, rhythm, and more serious disfunction. But most were transient and often resolved as the disease resolved. Most of the time the changes are not symptomatic. In other words, the viremia that occurs initially invades the whole body before it finally affects the primary target area.  However, in pregnant women it can cause damage to the fetus in the early stages and was a major cause of congenital heart diseases in the infant, esp. in measles.
What happened:  I ended up breaking a record for library withdrawals.  I finished the chapter in hand written form, typed it and gave it to my mentor. The book never got finished. I ended up with a vast knowledge of relatively useless material. And have no clue where the original handwritten material is now located.
Conclusion. If you are at risk by age or illness, take the vaccine.  It has proven by trial to be one of the safest of all time (so far), and also one of the most effective. Even good against the new variants so far.  We are not yet done with the Chinese Curse!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »

Thanks, again, for your cogent comments, Okie.  This is such a great group of people.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2021, 10:21:00 AM »

New Mexico's goal has been to get 60% fully vaccinated before reopening fully.
Last night's news said we are about 10,000 short of that goal, but are still going to fully open July 1.
We have been in the low 100's for new cases daily and less than 10 deaths daily.
Safe practices are still recommended.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »

A BUMMER: Some Canadians were vaccinated with AstraZeneca.  Evidently this is a non approved vaccine in the USA.. Therefore people vaccinated with it will be denied entry to the US..Just read about

this in the paper..  For now it would be stay @ home or revaccinate.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2021, 02:03:34 PM »

A BUMMER: Some Canadians were vaccinated with AstraZeneca.  Evidently this is a non approved vaccine in the USA.. Therefore people vaccinated with it will be denied entry to the US..Just read about

this in the paper..  For now it would be stay @ home or revaccinate.

That is unfortunate.  It amazes me how one vaccine is good for one country but not for another.  Russia and China have their own vaccines I believe.  It is a shame that all countries can't come to an agreement to use the same vaccines.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2021, 02:30:03 PM »

That doesn't seem correct. From the CDC website:

People are considered fully vaccinated*:

2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
    2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine

* This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson and Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines. This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford). See WHO’s websiteexternal icon for more information about WHO-authorized COVID-19 vaccines.

See:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

And shorten your time on the site by searching for the two * on that page.

Emphasis added.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:29:00 PM by W6YJ »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2021, 05:09:23 PM »

From local ABC station today:

The delta variant, a more transmissible and possibly more dangerous strain of coronavirus, now makes up more than half of all new U.S. infections in the country, according to estimates from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Delta accounts for 51.7% of new infections in the U.S., according to the CDC. The alpha variant, which has dominated for months, now accounts for 28.7% of cases, the CDC said.

“If ever there was a reason to get vaccinated, this is it,” Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNN on Tuesday.

The variant poses a “significant threat,” to unvaccinated people, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said.

The variant is not only more transmissible, it can also cause more severe disease, Fauci said.

And people in areas where the vaccination rate is low are especially at risk, health officials say.

“The more unvaccinated people there are, the more opportunities for the virus to multiply,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

“When it does, it mutates, and it could throw off a variant mutation that is even more serious down the road.”
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #292 on: July 08, 2021, 12:05:48 AM »

Thank you to everyone who has received the vaccine and contributed to beating this virus and getting our lives back to normal.

We still need to push to get over the finish line before new variants develop that are immune to our vaccines.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:07:41 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #293 on: July 08, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »

It is a shame that all countries can't come to an agreement to use the same vaccines.

Heck we can't come to an agreement in the US so no way different countries will come to an agreement.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #294 on: August 15, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »

Well we may be lining up for another shot in the future.  It looks like the US is headed into a fourth wave with the delta variant.  The current vaccines do offer some protection but we still need to exercise caution.  A little over a week ago the data from Provincetown, MA showing numerous cases of breakthrough infections:

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-07-30/provincetown-outbreak-shows-delta-can-spread-among-vaccinated-but-cases-are-mild

In the SF Bay Area, a third shot is being offered to those with compromised immunity.  This will help but updated vaccines are needed to battle the emerging variants.  The trouble is this just doesn't happen instantaneously.  We may be getting boosters of the existing vaccines until better vaccines are released.  For now, I am avoiding crowds. 

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #295 on: August 15, 2021, 05:32:41 PM »

Since I'm more or less already in forced isolation, can't drive and limited walking, for the next few months, I'll do nothing different other than get a booster shot if it becomes available.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »

Since I'm more or less already in forced isolation, can't drive and limited walking, for the next few months, I'll do nothing different other than get a booster shot if it becomes available.

I'll be in the same boat in a few months.  I just got my place in line for knee replacement yesterday.  Both knees require replacement so first one then the other a few months later. 

It looks like the third dose of the vaccine is coming down the pipe according to the New York Times.  The third shot will be given eight months after the second dose.  Plans are still in the works

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2021, 04:50:06 PM »

Thank you to everyone who has received the vaccine and contributed to beating this virus and getting our lives back to normal.

We still need to push to get over the finish line before new variants develop that are immune to our vaccines.

I agree
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2021, 06:46:35 PM »

I'll be in the same boat in a few months.  I just got my place in line for knee replacement yesterday.  Both knees require replacement so first one then the other a few months later. 

It looks like the third dose of the vaccine is coming down the pipe according to the New York Times.  The third shot will be given eight months after the second dose.  Plans are still in the works
That would be in September for us.  Will look for it. 

urnmor

« Reply #299 on: August 18, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »

My wife and I will receive our booster in Oc and Nov.   the regular flu shot and the booster cannot be given at the same time.  So I will receive the booster in  October and flu shot in November.  My wife  will do it just the opposite as she got her COVID shot after me
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Up