Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Has Received the Vaccine?  (Read 22437 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: Who Has Received the Vaccine?
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2021, 07:55:15 AM »

Boy - y'all got your shots early.  I got mine the first chance I had and it was in late April when I (wife also) got the J&J vaccine.  It still has not been determined when to do a booster shot or not.  We got our yearly flu shots November/December.  We will make that decision at that time to get a CV-19 booster shot or not (if necessary).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:00:23 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »

Boy - y'all got your shots early.  I got mine the first chance I had and it was in late April when I (wife also) got the J&J vaccine.  It still has not been determined when to do a booster shot or not.  We got our yearly flu shots November/December.  We will make that decision at that time to get a CV-19 booster shot or not (if necessary).

Same for us, wife and I didn't get ours until April.
We usually get our Flu shot in Sept/Oct so we should be good there.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »

I got mine in March. I will get a booster if and when it becomes available.
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »

We were pretty lucky in our area.  The Stanford Healthcare system did the registration online and they seemed to score a mother-lode of vaccines.  I kept checking twice a day for availability in January and scored an appointment the first week of February.  I was in and out of the hospital in 20 minutes.  The second was just as easy.  They converted their system to drive through a month later at the local fairgrounds for new recipients.  My wife had to wait a month due to other meds she was on but it was just as fast at the fairgrounds. Kudos to the Stanford Healthcare system.       

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2021, 06:42:06 PM »

From the Washington Post, info which may be helpful to some:

"When Mike Burton came down with a breakthrough case of covid-19 earlier this month, the infection posed a double threat to his family. At 73, the retired surgeon faced elevated risk of serious illness. His wife, Linda, has a suppressed immune system, the result of drugs she takes after two liver transplants that put her in greater danger of life-threatening illness.

The Burtons, both vaccinated, moved to separate parts of their Mt. Sterling, Ky., home, masked up and hoped for the best. Then a friend called and insisted they ask their doctors about monoclonal antibodies — an effective, widely available covid-19 therapy that few people are receiving.
The drugs often prevent severe disease, keeping people like Mike Burton out of the hospital if taken within seven to 10 days after symptoms begin. And since last month, they can be given prophylactically to millions of people like Linda Burton who have been exposed to the coronavirus and are at high risk of serious consequences.

Monoclonal antibodies are free to patients and there have been almost no side effects. They are accessible on an outpatient basis, via a single infusion or four injections. Hospitals, urgent-care centers and even private doctors are authorized to dispense them. But Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, maker of the only authorized, free monoclonal antibodies, said it is reaching fewer than 30 percent of eligible patients, up from fewer than 5 percent a month ago.

The White House COVID-19 Response Team reported last week that just more than 600,000 people have received the treatment since Regeneron and Eli Lilly received approval for separate versions in November. (Lilly’s product is no longer authorized because it is not effective against the delta variant.)....

Mike Burton, the Kentucky surgeon, experienced a turnaround after he received his infusion of monoclonal antibodies last week. He went to bed that night still plagued by fever, chills, a bad cough, clogged sinuses and fatigue. He woke up the next morning without any of the symptoms except fatigue and a milder cough, Linda Burton said. She did not become infected."

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2021, 06:46:35 PM »

This is not a knock on Bentley as we know his stance on the vaccine.

Do you think people that will not take the vaccine will accept the monoclonal antibodies?

And, thank you for the information.  Good to know in case I happen to get sick.  I wonder when they will have something similar for the flu or pneumonia.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »

I don't know if this has any effect on non-vaccinated folks or not.  I was more interested in the fact that it seems to be helpful for those who are vaccinated and suffer a break through case and the immuno compromised. You don't want to take the vaccine, you "takes your chances".  But if you are trying to keep safe, then good info to know in my book.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #307 on: August 21, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »

I've been reading articles suggesting that those who are vaccinated get a booster shot.  I infer that the vaccines' effectiveness perishes over time.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #308 on: August 21, 2021, 07:29:09 PM »

I've been reading articles suggesting that those who are vaccinated get a booster shot.  I infer that the vaccines' effectiveness perishes over time.
You are correct. But different vaccines have different lifetimes.  Current CV vaccines are just making their longevity known to researchers.  Looks like the CV Pfizer starts to diminish at about 8 months or so. (I am sure that will change a bit as they glean more info). Not sure about the Moderna duration of peak effect. J J&J is still being evaluated for length of efficiency.  Others are in the mill also.

Influenza vaccine initially was peak for about 4 months with rapid fall off. Several years ago, they doubled the dose  with result of longer life.  Good for the annual season. Virus mutates often, so sometimes they do not get it right for the current season.

Measles vaccine is probably good for many years and maybe life.

Mumps is long term

SmallPox is good for life. And because of it's safety is has been universally used in the past with complete irradication of small pox. It is made from CowPox virus which only rarely occurs in humans.

Chickenpox vaccine lasts a lifetime as well, and protects against chickenpox but does not prevent Shingles later in life. Shingles is chickenpox virus that is dormant in those who have had CP or the vaccine, but can activate in the nervous system, often producing a painful isolated rash disease usually in peripheral nerves, and rarely in the brain area.

Tetanus vaccine lasts several years and is a must for infants, teens and young adults. Not a bad idea to renew also in all adults.

Not sure about the lifetimes of the various other vaccines out there but that info is available on the web, I am sure.
It appears that the CV virus like influenza is here to stay and will mutate from time to time. Thus immunization at proper intervals makes sense. And since the Delta is producing serious disease and some deaths in the young, it looks like we will soon be giving it to preteens and perhaps infants in the future. I am not qualified to argue the pro's and con's of that subject.

I plan to get the booster when available.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2021, 02:58:30 AM »

I was told my my doctor many years ago that they had data from Viet Nam war vets that showed that the tetanus vaccine may be good for at least 25 years. They still recommend every 10. Mine is due in a year.

JoeGrilling

« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2021, 02:11:09 AM »

I don't know if this has any effect on non-vaccinated folks or not.  I was more interested in the fact that it seems to be helpful for those who are vaccinated and suffer a break through case and the immuno compromised. You don't want to take the vaccine, you "takes your chances".  But if you are trying to keep safe, then good info to know in my book.

The monoclonal antibodies medicine was recently given to Gov. Abbott of Texas amongst other leader that have become infected.  My wife pointed out that our local healthcare system announced it is now available in our town.  It has been proven effective.

Now for the dark side of the internet medical force.  I spoke to a friend who was actually was my boss from time to time over the years and our families have know each other for over 25 years.  He held a VP position at a large corporation we once worked at.  He told me he and his large family refuses to get vaccinated.  I didn't bother to ask why knowing where he gets his information from.  He has his a large family with like more than 12 grand kids  He as all of them taking Ivermectin.  My comment to him was "the stuff we give our dogs for heartworm prevention"?  I relayed the conversation to my daughter who is an associate professor of veterinary medicine at a vet school back east.  She laughed. 

Today, my daughter received an email from the FDA and her state veterinary medical association threatening disciplinary against any vet prescribing Invermectin for humans.  She forwarded the email to me with a chuckle.

Back in 1996, I was using the internet for researching technological information and thought it was the greatest resource ever.  One of my fellow managers said the internet was scariest thing he had ever seen.  He said this will someday become the greatest source of misinformation ever.  In retrospect, how prophetic.                   

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2021, 08:42:34 AM »

Back in 1996, I was using the internet for researching technological information and thought it was the greatest resource ever.  One of my fellow managers said the internet was scariest thing he had ever seen.  He said this will someday become the greatest source of misinformation ever.  In retrospect, how prophetic.                 

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I view it differently.  People want to believe what they want to believe so will always seek out the source that supports their world view.  Even if it is a snake oil salesman -- and they know it!  The biggest gift we could give to any child growing up is how to:  (1) effectively research an issue; and (2) effectively analyze and reasonably approach an issue. I am not holding my breath on our ability to accomplish this goal.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #312 on: August 25, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I view it differently.  People want to believe what they want to believe so will always seek out the source that supports their world view.  Even if it is a snake oil salesman -- and they know it!  The biggest gift we could give to any child growing up is how to:  (1) effectively research an issue; and (2) effectively analyze and reasonably approach an issue. I am not holding my breath on our ability to accomplish this goal.

Those are two great things that should be in a curriculum.  Teaching them how to manage money would be another great thing to add.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ICIdaho

« Reply #313 on: August 25, 2021, 11:17:34 AM »

The monoclonal antibodies medicine was recently given to Gov. Abbott of Texas amongst other leader that have become infected.  My wife pointed out that our local healthcare system announced it is now available in our town.  It has been proven effective.

Now for the dark side of the internet medical force.  I spoke to a friend who was actually was my boss from time to time over the years and our families have know each other for over 25 years.  He held a VP position at a large corporation we once worked at.  He told me he and his large family refuses to get vaccinated.  I didn't bother to ask why knowing where he gets his information from.  He has his a large family with like more than 12 grand kids  He as all of them taking Ivermectin.  My comment to him was "the stuff we give our dogs for heartworm prevention"?  I relayed the conversation to my daughter who is an associate professor of veterinary medicine at a vet school back east.  She laughed. 

Today, my daughter received an email from the FDA and her state veterinary medical association threatening disciplinary against any vet prescribing Invermectin for humans.  She forwarded the email to me with a chuckle.

I am not going to claim to know one way or the other, but Ivermectin was used in India, and at the point it was introduced, the case load went from 35,000 a day to about 350 a day in weeks.  That is probably what your friend is basing some of his information from.  Was Ivermectin the silver bullet?  That is for scientists to decide.  The problem is the ones with the biggest bully pulpit in the U.S. no longer use the scientific method, but seem to just default to the highly politicized FDA and CDC that only push vaccination.  I have attached a link to a study done in health care workers in India where they studied the use of Ivermectin.  It is just information, it is good to have as much as possible.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33592050/

dk117

« Reply #314 on: August 25, 2021, 02:05:42 PM »

Those are two great things that should be in a curriculum.  Teaching them how to manage money would be another great thing to add.

It really depends upon the school district and program.   We've been fortunate to find magnate programs (still public school).  International Baccalaureate is a rigorous program of study that is globally recognized.  My oldest is in that program.  We also have a STEM program (STEM focus across all subjects plus group projects that are more geared towards real world employment and results) that my youngest is fortunate enough to attend.  Both highly stress Kristin's point.   I just call it the internet BS meter, but the kids are getting exposed to intelligent research. 

Financial education.   Well that's coming from their parents.  I had better financial education in the late 80's and early 90's. 

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Up