Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Jan 2021
  • None on the second, but my mother-in-law and a friend of hers had some side effects like a light case of normal flu for a day.  They were told that people who already had covid have higher chance of side effects than those who didn't.  They both had covid in May.
  • #62 by Fire708 on 28 Jan 2021
  • Who has received the 2nd dose?  Side effects?  Usually a second dose will cause more side effects, i.e. fever, chills, sore arm, headache. Pretty normal to expect for many people, while many also will have no significant change.  Any of you have info on your second shot? I get mine tomorrow.

I got my second two weeks ago (health care worker). Had a fever that night and aches. No worse then what the flu shot causes. Some coworkers felt a lack of energy for a day. Overall we’re pretty much 50/50 with no symptoms to some symptoms.

I looked at it as a positive reaction from my immune system and a reassurance the vaccine did it’s job.
  • #63 by okie smokie on 29 Jan 2021
  • Who has received the 2nd dose?  Side effects?  Usually a second dose will cause more side effects, i.e. fever, chills, sore arm, headache. Pretty normal to expect for many people, while many also will have no significant change.  Any of you have info on your second shot? I get mine tomorrow.

I got my second two weeks ago (health care worker). Had a fever that night and aches. No worse then what the flu shot causes. Some coworkers felt a lack of energy for a day. Overall we’re pretty much 50/50 with no symptoms to some symptoms.

I looked at it as a positive reaction from my immune system and a reassurance the vaccine did it’s job.
    I agree. Having some reaction to the second dose is a good sign.  My wife and I had the shot on the 28th yesterday and she has had mild headache over night, and some mild nausea today.  I only had some mild nausea the afternoon.  I ate a bacon and egg sandwich a while ago and noted that it was not as tasty as normal. Especially the bacon was almost tasteless. Smell seemed diminished as well. Same bacon was very tasty the day before. Anyone else noted decrease or change in taste or smell (they are related). Otherwise I am fine tonight. 
  • #64 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2021
  • My father-in-law got the shot about two weeks ago, and tested positive for covid today after not feeling well for about 3 days.  He is 76.  He has not idea where he may have contacted it.
  • #65 by urnmor on 29 Jan 2021
  • My father-in-law got the shot about two weeks ago, and tested positive for covid today after not feeling well for about 3 days.  He is 76.  He has not idea where he may have contacted it.

When I received my first shot two weeks ago the nurse told me that probably about 10 percent of those who received the shot that day had the virus however they did not know it.
  • #66 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jan 2021

When I received my first shot two weeks ago the nurse told me that probably about 10 percent of those who received the shot that day had the virus however they did not know it.

That is quite possible.  My comment was not to disparage getting the shot.  I was simply stating the facts related to my relative.  I am one that is qualified for getting the vaccine in my state under the current guidelines, but there are not enough shots available right now for those older than me.
  • #67 by ezgoin on 30 Jan 2021
  • I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today, and I'm scheduled to get the second Feb 19th.  They were set up in football stadium parking lot, and they were directing drivers into three different lines.  At the start of each line they gave you a clipboard with some paperwork and a vaccination card card showing the type vaccine received, date, and space to fill in any subsequent vaccinations.  A little further up They took the release form and gave info on the vaccine, and the next stop you rolled down your window, and the nurse gave you the jab.  They then directed you to a place to park.  We were told to wait 15 minutes.  I waited about eight, and when no one was looking, I left.  I have never had any type of reaction to any vaccine, and I didn't figure this would be ant different.
  • #68 by urnmor on 30 Jan 2021
  • When I received my first shot two weeks ago the nurse told me that probably about 10 percent of those who received the shot that day had the virus however they did not know it.
    That is quite possible.  My comment was not to disparage getting the shot.  I was simply stating the facts related to my relative.  I am one that is qualified for getting the vaccine in my state under the current guidelines, but there are not enough shots available right now for those older than me.

In no way did I take your post to mean that.  It was only to make a comment that even if you receive the shot it may not prevent those who have the underlying symptoms from getting the virus.   However please understand I have no basis in facts regarding this.
  • #69 by Hank D Thoreau on 02 Feb 2021
  • I went to Disneyland today, but not for the amusement park. My wife and I got our first doses of the Moderna vaccine. It was a surprise. We were checking the "virtual waiting room" daily to see when our turns would come up. At 6:30 in the morning we got an email and made an appointment for the same day. We only had a choice of today or tomorrow. This is an example of just-in-time scheduling. It was a big operation; very well run. They obviously studied queuing theory. They were very careful to make sure there was no fraud. We had our drivers licensed checked five times as we went through the flow. The picture shows the stations where medical information is taken. From there we continue to the medical tents where the shots are given. There were hundreds of people. You can't tell from the picture.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #70 by reubenray on 03 Feb 2021
  • I went to Disneyland today, but not for the amusement park. My wife and I got our first doses of the Moderna vaccine. It was a surprise. We were checking the "virtual waiting room" daily to see when our turns would come up. At 6:30 in the morning we got an email and made an appointment for the same day. We only had a choice of today or tomorrow. This is an example of just-in-time scheduling. It was a big operation; very well run. They obviously studied queuing theory. They were very careful to make sure there was no fraud. We had our drivers licensed checked five times as we went through the flow. The picture shows the stations where medical information is taken. From there we continue to the medical tents where the shots are given. There were hundreds of people. You can't tell from the picture.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Good deal.  I see in the pictures people had chairs.  How long was the wait?  The long lines and waiting time is one thing that is holding me back when my age group comes up next week.  The "clinic" I would go (if I go) to would be a drive-thru.  People are lining up the night before for these.  What are they doing for restrooms?  Another issue for me is I am selling my house and I don't know if I would be here to get the second shot or not.
  • #71 by Hank D Thoreau on 03 Feb 2021
  • In response to your questions,

The wait was not bad. It took a little over two hours including entry, parking, going through the process, leaving the parking lot. They ran four queues with appointments at 15 minute intervals for each group. The groups were large. Maybe a couple hundred folks in each. When you showed up, you got into the queue for the time of your appointment. We got there early so our queue was the latest appointment time of the four. We now know that we don't have to get there quite as early next time. You waited in queue until your group was released into the flow. We were released less than 10 minutes after our appointment time, which was not bad. After that things moved steadily through ID checks, temperature checks, health review, the shot, and a 15 minute wait at the end to make sure there are not side effects. I think you can move and register from your new location. The registration would be for the second shot. I don't know for sure since the rollout is still locally controlled. Some folks had chairs with them. They were only need during the initial wait in the queues. Most folks did not have, or need chairs, but there was ample room if you did. They kept folks separated.

I like the idea of drive through. That is what they are doing at Dodger Stadium for the folks in Los Angeles County. I am in Orange County near the Los Angeles County border, so we have Disneyland and SOKA University. Disneyland was walkthrough. I am not sure about SOKA. I was not sure which type Disneyland was going to be until we got some info in the morning from someone who had been there. There were a large number of portable outhouses on both ends: the beginning where the queues were, and at the end in the post shot waiting area.

The key to limiting wait time and creating order is that appointments must be made. Appointments for our county were managed using the Othena medical app. We register in the app and were put in a virtual waiting room. We were then told to check daily to see if appointments were open to be scheduled. We waited for a little over two weeks and then got an early morning email that we could schedule. Appointments were opened for that day and the next. We signed up for the first available. This method avoided the long lines you get with first come, first served, which would not work with the millions of folks we have in our area.
  • #72 by W6YJ on 05 Feb 2021
  • I was able to get the first dose of Pfizer yesterday without any wait at all from the Carlsbad (CA) Fire department with no wait at all. About half the time was going through five check-in points, then getting the shot, and waiting for 15 minutes to make sure I didn't have any negative reactions.
  • #73 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Feb 2021
  • We are part of a 5 county health district.  The state of Virginia is broken up into these health districts for public health purposes and the allotment of doses which the state receives are then doled out to the health districts, supposedly based on population.  Our health district has about 180,000 to 190,000 people in it. Today, the director of our district announced that we have "tens of thousands of people" who have signed up for the first two groups (1a and 1b) and that, in the next 6 to 8 weeks, we would be receiving 2,100 doses per week to distribute. xxxx will freeze over before they get to me -- and I am in the "third group" which is still prioritized over the general population!!!!
  • #74 by yorkdude on 05 Feb 2021
  • Got this today, Gwen has received both (hospital).
    I fall in category 3 both by age and underlying health issues.
  • #75 by reubenray on 06 Feb 2021
  • I will have two chances next week to get my first shot.  If I don't get the first shot next week I will have to wait until after I move to Arkansas which will be around the second week of March.  This will be a drive-in clinic and there will be 1000 shots available that runs from 9 AM to 3 AM.  The first of these did not go very well.  The second one went better with about 200 shots not given out.  My age group (65+) opens on Monday and the first clinic is on Tuesday.  I plan on heading there about 5 AM to get in line.  Tuesday starts a five days of rain and cold weather spell.  Maybe this will then the herd some.  I am also registered by phone if the clinics don't work out, but I will be on a time restraint due to my move.

Pages:
Actions