Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by SmokinHandyman on 17 Jan 2021
  • It would be nice to have all the prep done for us like on the cooking shows on TV
  • #17 by Brushpopper on 17 Jan 2021
  • I wish I knew what happened to the RonCo Veg-O-Matic my mom had.  It sliced. It diced.  And was very hard for a 10 year old to use as I recall.
  • #18 by 02ebz06 on 17 Jan 2021

• Find me an easy and quick way to peel Taters and I would be grateful.

Wouldn't the apple peeler work ?

I tried it but it wasn't as easy as doing them by hand. I have not tried the cordless drill and the vegetable peeler yet, I just see peeling flying everywhere.

When you mentioned drill, I got to thinking about just a rasp to scrape the skin off.
    Which also got me to thinking about googling.

Google "electric potato peeler".  There are many on amazon.

• #19 by hughver on 17 Jan 2021
  • 02ebz06, That's not the one that I bought, I've had the one like that for years. The one that I just bought is like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KVV3F9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   You push with one hand and pound with the other.
  • #20 by 02ebz06 on 17 Jan 2021
  • 02ebz06, That's not the one that I bought, I've had the one like that for years. The one that I just bought is like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KVV3F9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   You push with one hand and pound with the other.
    Ahhh, yours does slice and dice.
  • #21 by hughver on 17 Jan 2021
  • I certainly agree with you.  Prepping IMO takes most of the time and effort in cooking.  Like you I have also been making 99.9 percent of the meals since retired.  Now that said I do not use a lot of different utensils when prepping as I rely on just a few knives and occasionally a mandolin.  Now what really makes the tediousness go away is loud music (genre) changes depending on my moods. Then a great glass of wine or two and most importantly my dancing.  You ought to see my moves they are out of this world at least that is what my 7 year old granddaughter says.

I too enjoy music except for one thing, I'm also almost totally deaf, even with my hearing aids, music does not sound the same any more.  :(
  • #22 by pmillen on 17 Jan 2021
  • When Marcia did all of the cooking (she hated it) I considered that my job was to taste-test the wine, select the music and dance for her entertainment.  She disappears now that I'm the chief cook.  So I cook, taste-test, select and dance alone.  It's pretty much the same experience.
  • #23 by 02ebz06 on 17 Jan 2021
  • #24 by Bentley on 17 Jan 2021
  • I have not read all the responses, so if I am being redundant, just ignore.  Can you list some examples of what you are prepping?  How often during the week do you use this stuff?  How much can be prepped in advance?  Is it things that will last 3, 5, 7,10 days?

...while still maintaining the desired consistency/quality. So far, nothing has adequately duplicated doing it by hand. Anybody have a good method/gadget for reducing the effort?   ???
  • #25 by hughver on 17 Jan 2021
  • " How often during the week do you use this stuff? " Virtually every day, occasionally twice a day. "How much can be prepped in advance?" I suppose that some things could be cut up in advance but a lot of my activity is for salads which, IMO, are better freshly chopped. Things that I prepare most often are onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, carrots and potatoes. However, there are a lot of other things, herbs, nuts, ginger, zest, etc., depending on the meal that I'm preparing. "Is it things that will last 3, 5, 7,10 days?" Again IMO, very few things would remain viable/usable for more than a day or two.

• #26 by scdaf on 17 Jan 2021
  • I have standing and walking issues also. I usually just sit down at the table and chop up what I need, usually with just  knife. I will chop extra onions and keep in a lock n lock. I will do peppers also at times if I know I will be using them in a day or two at the most, they don't keep well once cut up.

We have gone to salad mix in a bag usually.

I have a few things I will use for specific things like making homemade potato chips, or something that I want uniformity or close to it. I like my mandolin but hate cleaning it. I have one of two of the choppers pictured above also and they work great for some things. I use my apple peeler at times but I use the apple cutter you place on top and just push down and cores and slices the apple. It saves a lot of time when I make applesauce.

I usually only cook for 2 so it isn't a lot of prep work.

Find me an easy and quick way to peel Taters and I would be grateful.
    Why do you peel potatoes?
  • #27 by Bentley on 17 Jan 2021
  • Sounds like there is no one gadget that would fill your needs.  Something like the Veg-o-matic would be great for the majority of the vegetables.  Not sure there is a way to make it easier!

• #28 by hughver on 17 Jan 2021
  • #29 by ezgoin on 17 Jan 2021

• Find me an easy and quick way to peel Taters and I would be grateful.

Wouldn't the apple peeler work ?

I tried it but it wasn't as easy as doing them by hand. I have not tried the cordless drill and the vegetable peeler yet, I just see peeling flying everywhere.

When you mentioned drill, I got to thinking about just a rasp to scrape the skin off.
    Which also got me to thinking about googling.

Google "electric potato peeler".  There are many on amazon.

I don't peel potatoes.  All the nutrients are in the outer 1/8".  All the rest is just starch.   :)
  • #30 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Jan 2021
  • my wife has something similar to hughver
Pages:
Actions