Pages:
Actions
  • #361 by Free Mr. Tony on 27 Mar 2022

• I have a bunch of those Deli containers. Bought them from Amazon primarily for use when guest want to take something home.
    I have avoided using most containers as you get ice crystals in them.

Tony, do those seal well enough to keep the ice crystals from forming ?

You get a few on top of the sauce. It's never changed the flavor or tasted freezer burnt to me. I usually do a couple months supply. If I were doing it ahead much more than that I would probably vacseal instead.
  • #362 by 02ebz06 on 27 Mar 2022

• I have a bunch of those Deli containers. Bought them from Amazon primarily for use when guest want to take something home.
    I have avoided using most containers as you get ice crystals in them.

Tony, do those seal well enough to keep the ice crystals from forming ?

You get a few on top of the sauce. It's never changed the flavor or tasted freezer burnt to me. I usually do a couple months supply. If I were doing it ahead much more than that I would probably vacseal instead.

Thanks.  I make up about 6 pounds of sauce at a time using one of those large #10 cans of sauce.  Enough for about12 pizzas (8 oz. per).
    I'll try one of the containers for next batch just for grins...

• #363 by hughver on 27 Mar 2022
  • FMT- Your sauce sounds good and easy to make. Could you please enlighten us as to the approximate ratio of ingredients? Thanks
  • #364 by 02ebz06 on 09 Apr 2022
  • I don't make this too often, but every now and then I get a taste for it.
    Brushed some wing sauce on the skin, shredded some mozzarella on top, then chicken marinaded it wing sauce, and drizzled some Ranch Dressing on top.

• #365 by BigDave83 on 09 Apr 2022
  • That looks good, I believe I would like that. I assume shredded cooked chicken? I have some thighs I boned out in the freezer. I may SV a few and give this a try.

Thanks for posting, I was going through withdrawals not seeing any pizza shots for over a week.
  • #366 by 02ebz06 on 09 Apr 2022
  • That looks good, I believe I would like that. I assume shredded cooked chicken? I have some thighs I boned out in the freezer. I may SV a few and give this a try.

Thanks for posting, I was going through withdrawals not seeing any pizza shots for over a week.

This was leftover chicken breast from Enchiladas earlier in the week, cut into small pieces.

Didn't post one last week as it didn't turn out too well.  Set timer and didn't start it.   :'(   Got overcooked.
  • #367 by hughver on 21 Apr 2022
  • As I've mentioned before I'm a DYI pizza novice and my son is dropping by for the evening on his way to Mexico.  I am going to attempt to serve DYI pizza. I have a couple of questions for all of the pizza experts here. First of all, do you pre-cook the vegetables such as onion or mushrooms? Are there some guidelines or ratio for amount of sauce and cheese? What is the sequence for adding toppings? Do you use pre-shredded cheese? I plan to use individual 8" store bought crust and let everyone build his/her own. I'll have precooked Italian sausage pepperoni, ham, dry salami and bacon available for protein. Other than sliced black olives, Mushrooms and small diced red onion what other vegetables would go well? Thanks for any and all help.
  • #368 by BigDave83 on 21 Apr 2022
  • As I've mentioned before I'm a DYI pizza novice and my son is dropping by for the evening on his way to Mexico.  I am going to attempt to serve DYI pizza. I have a couple of questions for all of the pizza experts here. First of all, do you pre-cook the vegetables such as onion or mushrooms? Are there some guidelines or ratio for amount of sauce and cheese? What is the sequence for adding toppings? Do you use pre-shredded cheese? I plan to use individual 8" store bought crust and let everyone build his/her own. I'll have precooked Italian sausage pepperoni, ham, dry salami and bacon available for protein. Other than sliced black olives, Mushrooms and small diced red onion what other vegetables would go well? Thanks for any and all help.

peppers fresh or even jarred jalapeno or yellow banana peppers.

I don't cook my veggies just put them on. For sauce and cheese I think that is a personal preference. The GF wants loads of cheese minimal sauce.
    Olive oil and garlic on the crust then cheese and little more oil and garlic is how I do a white pizza usually, I will add on some hot peppers and black olives also at times. I usually do sauce, cheese, veggies then meats if putting all of that on.
  • #369 by 02ebz06 on 22 Apr 2022
  • As I've mentioned before I'm a DYI pizza novice and my son is dropping by for the evening on his way to Mexico.  I am going to attempt to serve DYI pizza. I have a couple of questions for all of the pizza experts here. 1) First of all, do you pre-cook the vegetables such as onion or mushrooms? 2) Are there some guidelines or ratio for amount of sauce and cheese? 3) What is the sequence for adding toppings? 4) Do you use pre-shredded cheese? I plan to use individual 8" store bought crust and let everyone build his/her own. I'll have precooked Italian sausage pepperoni, ham, dry salami and bacon available for protein. Other than sliced black olives, Mushrooms and small diced red onion what other vegetables would go well? Thanks for any and all help.

1) I assume you are using a home oven. You can cook thinks like onions, peppers, and mushrooms in the microwave for a bit to get some of the water out of them.

2) No real guideline. Some like more, some like less. The more toppings, the longer it takes to cook.  Go light on the sauce or you can have a soggy crust.

3) What type of pizza are you making ?  Most put sauce on first, then cheese, then toppings.

4) I use shredded whether I buy shredded or a brick of it and shred the brick. Some use slices.

• #370 by hughver on 22 Apr 2022
  • Thanks for the help. The microwave suggestion for the root vegetables seems to be a good idea, I'm going to try it. BigDave, does putting olive oil on the crust serve a specific purpose?
  • #371 by 02ebz06 on 22 Apr 2022
  • Oil on the crust can prevent the sauce from soaking in.
    I think Dave does it for flavor.  He can comment on that.
  • #372 by BigDave83 on 22 Apr 2022
  • Thanks for the help. The microwave suggestion for the root vegetables seems to be a good idea, I'm going to try it. BigDave, does putting olive oil on the crust serve a specific purpose?

I will use olive oil and garlic for doing a white style pizza with out the red sauce. I like a white pizza with a few additions on toppings.
  • #373 by hughver on 22 Apr 2022
  • I made a white sauce with garlic, olive oil, flour and milk/half & half.  Plan to top with tomatoes, chicken and mushrooms.
  • #374 by elenis on 22 Apr 2022
  • This thread inspired me on Tuesday so I started my dough then and after 3 days cold proofing in the fridge and 5 hours on the counter we were ready  today. These were made in my Ooni Fyra pellet pizza oven.

This is a white pizza. The sauce is olive oil and some minced garlic, then I put little blobs of ricotta, then a pizza cheese blend and some Italian seasoning over type.

I let my wife top her own this time and tried to explain the less is more concept, but she still overloaded the toppings, but she likes it that way. She had red sauce, ricotta, pizza cheese, orange bell pepper, pineapple, and diced ham.

My mother and father in law both wanted the same toppings on theirs. Red sauce, ricotta, pizza cheese, pepperoni, and ham.

The kids don't pick interesting enough toppings to take pictures of. More things to make people hungry though.
  • #375 by BigDave83 on 23 Apr 2022
  • I would be in for the top and bottom one and would try the middle but was never the pineapple on pizza guy.

I need to try to make some dough and have at it again. Dough and I don't work so pretty well together.
Pages:
Actions