Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Author Topic: The Pizza Thread  (Read 51554 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: The Pizza Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 12, 2022, 10:07:21 PM »

One Northeast of Baltimore, and one Northeast of Charlotte, but nothing in VA.  135 miles is a bit much!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »

I think my first Detroit pizza will be chipotle monterrey jack and meunster cheeses as a substitute for the brick cheese.  Probably make it in the oven tomorrow or Tuesday.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #452 on: November 13, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »

You probably know it, but it should be cubed!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #453 on: November 13, 2022, 01:27:41 PM »

You probably know it, but it should be cubed!

I didn't.  They are slices.  I plan to use 8oz of each.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #454 on: November 14, 2022, 08:38:44 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #455 on: November 14, 2022, 09:53:16 PM »

Looks like a good rise in the dough, the corners look great!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #456 on: November 14, 2022, 10:19:21 PM »

450 degrees for 17 minutes.  Probably not cooked at high enough temp as the rest of the crust other than edges was soft and not crispy.  Used the monterrey jack and muenster slices with 8oz of each alternated and two layers.  Any other thoughts on why dough was not crispy?

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #457 on: November 14, 2022, 11:26:55 PM »

I would think if you want it to crisp up like the sides you would want to well grease or butter the pan. It looks like the oils from the cheese helped the sides out.

I have never made anything like this. It may be something I should look in to.

Made a Pizza lasagna last week. used no boil lasagna sheets, a larger jar of pasta sauce, cooked off a pound of sausage and added peppers and onions, had sandwich pepperoni I cut down some and used bagged pizza cheese. sauce, noodle, sauce, cheese, meats and cooked veggies. Repeat, I think I had 2 layers of filling with 3 layers of noodle topped with sauce and cheese. Baked it off at 375 for about 40 minutes in the counter top convection oven.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »

450 degrees for 17 minutes.  Probably not cooked at high enough temp as the rest of the crust other than edges was soft and not crispy.  Used the monterrey jack and muenster slices with 8oz of each alternated and two layers.  Any other thoughts on why dough was not crispy?

Normally you cook at a lower temp for a longer time to get a crispy crust.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2022, 12:05:29 PM »

Most Detroit pizza recipes I have been reading are recommending 550°-600° instead of the 450° that I used.  I am not even sure how high the settings on my oven will go or whether using convection would be any better.  I think if you cook at too low a temp you don't get the melting of the cheese dripping to the sides of the pan for what really is the crux of the flavor profile of this style of pizza from what I have been reading.  Having only had two Detroit pizzas in Detroit a few weeks ago I remember the flavor and texture.  Unfortunately, I am new to pizza making so trying to learn that and get it close to what I remember eating may take me a while.  And, I need to get the proper cheese even though the substitute worked OK.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2022, 12:10:28 PM »

Most Detroit pizza recipes I have been reading are recommending 550°-600° instead of the 450° that I used.  I am not even sure how high the settings on my oven will go or whether using convection would be any better.  I think if you cook at too low a temp you don't get the melting of the cheese dripping to the sides of the pan for what really is the crux of the flavor profile of this style of pizza from what I have been reading.  Having only had two Detroit pizzas in Detroit a few weeks ago I remember the flavor and texture.  Unfortunately, I am new to pizza making so trying to learn that and get it close to what I remember eating may take me a while.  And, I need to get the proper cheese even though the substitute worked OK.

Most ovens got to 550f.  Some have a calibrate feature that lets you raise it higher.

Join the pizza making forum.
There is a section dedicated to Detroit style pizza.  Sections for all others as well.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »

Are you referring to the bottom being crispy or the entire pie?  I know the 1st recipe I used called for 500° and the rack on the lowest rung in the oven.  The corner piece looks perfect, so it is hard for me to figure out why it was not crispy.  I would try bottom of oven and 500° for 15 minutes on next one.  I also agree with a HEAVILY buttered pan.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 12:23:11 PM by Bentley »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #462 on: November 15, 2022, 01:09:02 PM »

Certainly the bottom could have been crispier.  The dough itself could have been crispier too.  It wasn't gooey, but it was not airy either.  It could have been Wegman's dough.  It could have been how I prepared it which was letting it sit out for an hour in a bowl after it thawed overnight in the fridge.  It could have been how I stretched it because I had never done that before.  It could have been the oven temp or place it was in the oven.  It could have been that I did not put any oil on the bottom of the pan other than oil that I put on the dough ball while it was resting in the bowl.  Or some combination of all of the above.

It started as about a 800gm ball.  I cut a piece off by eyeballing it and it ended up about 450gm.  I was trying to get to 500-550gm per what Bentley recommended.

I will have to keep trying different things until it gets closer to what I remember from Buddy's.

Keep providing your thoughts as I will take them into consideration on my next attempt.  I have one more dough ball in the freezer and another pound of cheese to utilize.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #463 on: November 26, 2022, 02:59:44 PM »

Saturday pizza day.

Homemade sauce, Smoked Provolone, and homemade Canadian bacon.
The smoked provolone didn't have any smoke flavor.

Still learning the new oven.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #464 on: December 22, 2022, 11:58:46 AM »

The rise in the dough was what I want, but even with the pan slathered with butter and 3 cheeses around the edges, cant get the greasy good taste in the dough!  You don't have it down yet when Little Caesar can do it better then you!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 12:00:50 PM by Bentley »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38   Go Up