Pages:
Actions
  • #466 by elenis on 22 Dec 2022
  • 450 degrees for 17 minutes.  Probably not cooked at high enough temp as the rest of the crust other than edges was soft and not crispy.  Used the monterrey jack and muenster slices with 8oz of each alternated and two layers.  Any other thoughts on why dough was not crispy?

Normally you cook at a lower temp for a longer time to get a crispy crust.

Most Detroit pizza recipes I have been reading are recommending 550°-600° instead of the 450° that I used.  I am not even sure how high the settings on my oven will go or whether using convection would be any better.  I think if you cook at too low a temp you don't get the melting of the cheese dripping to the sides of the pan for what really is the crux of the flavor profile of this style of pizza from what I have been reading.  Having only had two Detroit pizzas in Detroit a few weeks ago I remember the flavor and texture.  Unfortunately, I am new to pizza making so trying to learn that and get it close to what I remember eating may take me a while.  And, I need to get the proper cheese even though the substitute worked OK.

I had friends growing up that worked at a place that did a similar crust style and each pan got about 1/4 of an inch of oil in the bottom so it almost deep fried that outer crust. I know the place by me that does really good detroit style pizza runs their ovens at 600 because that is why they named the place 600 downtown. Pizza ovens run at 600 and it is located downtown.
  • #467 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Dec 2022
  • I was not a fan of Little Caesars.  I don't think it was much at all like Detroit Style.  Yours looks much better than theirs.  One of these days, I am going to try making another one with the other dough ball in the freezer.
  • #468 by Bentley on 22 Dec 2022
  • Will try the oil and can go to 550° in the oven, so will try that again!
  • #469 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Dec 2022
  • Will try the oil and can go to 550° in the oven, so will try that again!

There is something about the brick cheese that somehow makes that crust on sides better than anything else according to the Detroiters.
  • #470 by Bentley on 22 Dec 2022
  • I believe it. 

I have a friend who is in the Minneapolis area.  Also Chippewa Falls, WI.  I said if he could find any to bring me some home, he has not been able to locate it.  It must be a real regional thing!
  • #471 by 02ebz06 on 22 Dec 2022
  • I get my Brick Cheese online from either Cheesers or Widmerscheese.
  • #472 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Dec 2022
  • I believe it. 

I have a friend who is in the Minneapolis area.  Also Chippewa Falls, WI.  I said if he could find any to bring me some home, he has not been able to locate it.  It must be a real regional thing!

If my buddy comes in from Pittsburgh in January, I am going to have him bring me a 6# block from GFS.  If he does, I will have him bring two of them so that I can get you one.
  • #473 by 02ebz06 on 26 Dec 2022
  • Made sausage pizza today.
    Think I'm getting this new oven dialed in.  Came out pretty good.

• #474 by BigDave83 on 26 Dec 2022
  • I am liking that, I would eat that all and ask you to make another.
  • #475 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jan 2023
  • set oven at 550 degrees and cooked for 15 minutes which was probably 2-3 minutes too much for my liking as it got slightly burnt

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #476 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jan 2023
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #477 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jan 2023
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #478 by urnmor on 08 Jan 2023
  • Very nice
  • #479 by BigDave83 on 09 Jan 2023
  • That looks good, I may have to try one of these, I am more of a thin crust guy but I eat just about any of it.

• #480 by 02ebz06 on 09 Jan 2023
  • I'm with Dave. Prefer thin crust, but would take a slice of that.
    I think you are right about cooking a bit too long.  Not as dark would be my choice as well.
Pages:
Actions