Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bobitis on 28 Sep 2017
  • A couple days ago a few co-werkers were talking about cooking pork butts. One guy says "I rub the meat real good and put it in a pan with some carrots and potatoes. Then put it in the oven for 3-4 hrs". The other replies; "yeah that's pretty much what I do except I add a packet of onion soup mix on the top of the butt". They went back and forth for a couple minutes and I finally had to chime in.

Stop! You guys are making me ill...

They called me a snob.  :pig: :rotf:
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Sep 2017
  • I think I can beat that one, although it is not office talk but "Auxillary talk."  So the BSVFD Aux cooks a lot to raise money and has done so for over 65 years.  They cook for the fair every year.  They do a pulled pork sandwich.  We say "Hey that's something we can help with -- 3 pits, lots of experience with pork, etc"  They are very kind, but explain that they are known for their pulled pork sandwiches and we will just have to let them continue with their traditional way.

So what is this traditional way you ask?  They take a bunch of crock pots and cook those butts for a zillon hours.  Then they pull it, dump enough bbq sauce to choke a horse and reheat it in microwaves.  I can't even put a spoon of it in my mouth, but folks lap it up.
  • #3 by Fire708 on 28 Sep 2017
  • Um, Ewwwwwwww.

I have a co worker that does the crock pot pulled pork. It’s not very good.
  • #4 by Chris__M on 29 Sep 2017
  • Um, Ewwwwwwww.

I have a co worker that does the crock pot pulled pork. It’s not very good.

Perhaps it is the length of time they cook it, or what they sauce it with?

I have a friend who cooks crockpot pulled pork, and it is actually very tasty. Of course, it is a different beast from what comes off my smoker (and they even admit that), but if it was served to me as a guest, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

I think we can sometimes be too precious about our hobby.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Sep 2017
  • I agree Chris, I am not trying to be a food snob. I think if a person paid attention and cooked a butt well in a crock pot, it could be great.  I have done pot roast that way and not on the pit and I love my pot roast. 

But I think the Aux butt is overcooked till almost mush -- someone has somehow convinced them that overcooking certain food equates to public food safety. And the amount of sauce is just incredible.  I don't know why a segment of society equates bbq to bbq sauce.  And the way they reheat just cooks it even more.  I just don't know why you would turn down pit smoked/cooked bbq that Bentley has said he would vac seal and reheat in boiling water in favor of the way you have always done it because -- well, that is the way you have always done it.  Some traditions need to be broken!
  • #6 by TechMOGogy on 29 Sep 2017
  • Here's a fun office story...
    A new guy started at the office about a year ago.
    I found out he was into smoking/BBQ and was even a KCBS CBJ too (that is rare up here in Canada) from the guy that hired him!  Wow, cool right?  I was looking forward have someone to discuss BBQ with and probably share some good tips and tricks!
    I went and said hi the 1st day he started and I brought up bbq and pits.
    After a bit I mention that I use a pellet smoker and you'd think I'd called his wife a wh&r3!!
    He says... (remember this is his 1st day at a new job) "Oh, I make real bbq with real wood on a real smoker"
    My jaw about hit the floor!
    And I can't really write my reply to him here on the forum :)  Lets just say we did not talk after his 1st day here.
    Long story short, he got fired (big surprise with his wonderful people skills) and a lady that worked with him said to me "oh yeah, he used to talk about you and how your method of smoking was the same as microwaving food"
    OMG - can you believe some people!!
  • #7 by pz on 29 Sep 2017
  • Years ago I had a colleague that was really proud of how tender his ribs were, and he had a secret method - "just boil them until tender and then finish them on the grill".
  • #8 by Clonesmoker on 29 Sep 2017
  • A couple days ago a few co-werkers were talking about cooking pork butts. One guy says "I rub the meat real good and put it in a pan with some carrots and potatoes. Then put it in the oven for 3-4 hrs". The other replies; "yeah that's pretty much what I do except I add a packet of onion soup mix on the top of the butt". They went back and forth for a couple minutes and I finally had to chime in.

Stop! You guys are making me ill...

They called me a snob.  :pig: :rotf:

Ahh... just stick your chest out and say yours takes about 12-14 hours and see what kind of reaction you get!! ;) ;)
  • #9 by Free Mr. Tony on 29 Sep 2017
  • Actually the crockpot, veggies, and onion soup mix sound pretty good. Just dont call it bbq. I'm actually extremely not picky on cooking method. I've had people apologize before I even taste their food because they know I'm really into cooking and smoking. I almost always like it fine and tell them so. They seem to think I'm just being nice, but I really do like it fine. I don't really like attention on myself, so it's always very awkward for me when they are saying sorry about the food before I even taste it.

And Dan, I would have told you the same thing as that new employee. Would have added a middle finger, and told you not to let the hopper lid hit your xxx on the way out.

Had a similar situation with a new guy from Texas. First thing he tells me is that he doesn't cook ribs for less than 19 hours. That was pretty much the end of BBQ talk with him.
  • #10 by Fire708 on 29 Sep 2017
  • I guess I should retract part of my Ewwwwww.

I’ve only had his crockpot pulled pork. Didn’t like it. Too much sauce and over cooked for me.

I’ve had the boiled/grilled ribs that came out pretty good. No smoke flavor but they weren’t over cooked and still had a bite.
  • #11 by GrillinGlen on 29 Sep 2017
  • for a long time I pressure cooked the ribs and then onto the gasser for char and sauce ???
  • #12 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2017
  • I boiled my ribs and chicken in the 80's, no since in lying.  I have progressed though...

And when people start telling me about my unit or my BBQ is not real...I just say are you familiar with the American Royal, most will say yes...I say have you ever had an 11th in Brisket there, or finished 3rd overall in the Open...All I have spoken to have said no...I then say, well ya know what, I have...so when you beat that 11th and 3rd, you let me know...that is when I will take your advice...Man it is fun to be Smug sometimes!
  • #13 by SmokinHandyman on 29 Sep 2017
  • I get told from the stick burner guys that I am cheating.
    I am not even in a competition.
  • #14 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2017
  • I had one newcomer ask me at a Brethern Bash one time what the difference between my Pellet Pits and other units was...I told him Grand Championships...The boys enjoyed that one!
  • #15 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Sep 2017
  • Ask those stick burners how they are lighting their fire.  Last one told me a blow torch.  Time before that, I was told a propane tank with a wand attached.  So I said, "Not rubbing two sticks together to start your fire?  Sounds to me like you are cheating with that propane assist you are getting."  Conversation just ended both times.  Guess I am just not Miss Congeniality.
Pages:
Actions