Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Jon515 on 29 Jan 2021
  • What does everyone use to capture, store, modify recipes? I've tried Apple notes, air table and a few others and none of them make me very happy. I"m curious what everyone else uses!
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2021
  • I had started using One Note a few years ago to put copies of recipes from multiple sites that I get emails from.  I organized them into different section and sub sections and pages within the subsections with one page per recipe.
  • #3 by glitchy on 29 Jan 2021
  • Paprika is a great recipe app. If you watch they have fairly regular sales. It can import recipes from just about anywhere too.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 29 Jan 2021
  • I have a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that I use for many of my recipes.
    If recipe is for 1 loaf of bread, I can put 2 in the "# to make" cell and it will update all ingredients to the new amounts.
    Wrote it primarily for bread and pizza but it works for just about anything where the amount you are making can change.
    For recipes that I don't change, many are in Microsoft Word or a PDF.
    Keep the recipes on my server so they an be accessed from any PC.
  • #5 by Free Mr. Tony on 29 Jan 2021
  • I used to take pictures of all the recipes that I wanted to try out of a book. Or screenshots from internet.

I would make a folder with each book name in google drive. Then inside each folder was the recipes in the form of pictures from the book pages.

It was somewhat time consuming, but it made for super easy use to actually get to and use the recipe. Google drive is also searchable. If you can't remember a dish or book that it was in. You can search "chicken sandwich", or "achiote" for instance. As long as you can remember some key component, it will usually bring it up in a search.

I have hundreds of folders like this that hold thousands of pages.

• #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2021
  • My wife used google drive to store her recipes in the same manner as FMT
  • #7 by SmokinHandyman on 29 Jan 2021
  • I make a file and put them into my recipe folder in my documents section
  • #8 by hughver on 29 Jan 2021
  • I use the "Favorites" feature of Windows Edge to characterize and store web sites. 
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2021
  • I use the "Favorites" feature of Windows Edge to characterize and store web sites.

I do that too with the intention of doing something else with them and never get around to it.  I'm hoping when I retire that I have the desire to make some of the things I saved and to do a better job of cataloging recipes I enjoy.

At some point, I usually pitch the recipe and use the concept of the recipe to make something on the fly with ingredients that I enjoy that work well together for me.
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 29 Jan 2021

Downside of that is that links can break if the page is moved.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2021

Downside of that is that links can break if the page is moved.

or website shuts down
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 29 Jan 2021
  • or website shuts down

Anyone in particular you are thinking of?   ;D ;D ;D
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2021
  • or website shuts down

Anyone in particular you are thinking of?   ;D ;D ;D

Its happened to me more on music related sites than food, but I think I know what you mean.  But, it is funny how many Geocities websites are still available even though folks may not have updated them in 10+ years.  I am sure there are others hosts that have died that are similar.
  • #14 by Darwin on 29 Jan 2021
  • OneNote
    https://www.onenote.com/download

You can copy and paste or embed files and documents onto a page.  Search is great to find anything.  Onetastic is a great free or paid add on.  https://getonetastic.com/  There are other third party tools to go with.
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2021
  • OneNote
    https://www.onenote.com/download

You can copy and paste or embed files and documents onto a page.  Search is great to find anything.  Onetastic is a great free or paid add on.  https://getonetastic.com/  There are other third party tools to go with.

If you use chrome browser, they have a feature to print to OneNote which is pretty cool.
Pages:
Actions