Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pellet Grill Wifi Lawsuit Article  (Read 2471 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Pellet Grill Wifi Lawsuit Article
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2023, 09:45:02 AM »

As I read the order, there were two appeals.  Traeger dropped the first appeal and asked to be added to the second appeal, which the Court granted.  The Court then set a briefing schedule.  I don't know if the parties filed those briefs, but that should have happened by early 2023.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 10:37:51 AM »

As I read the order, there were two appeals.  Traeger dropped the first appeal and asked to be added to the second appeal, which the Court granted.  The Court then set a briefing schedule.  I don't know if the parties filed those briefs, but that should have happened by early 2023.

So initially T filed suit against G and won and G appealed and T agreed to the appeal? Or maybe I misunderstood the original suit.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 11:37:00 AM »

According to the caption, the parties to the suit were the International Trade Commission and GMC.  Traeger was an intervenor on the side of the ITC.  That was the appeal which was dismissed.  The second suit seems to be Traeger vs the ITC with GMC as the intervenor and that is the suit which was allowed to proceed.  Since Traeger is the appellant in the second suit, that would suggest they lost that suit. That is the appeal going forward.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 12:18:46 PM »

Thanks Meredith for the clarifications, I too was a bit confused.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2023, 04:44:25 PM »

So—The appeal doesn't affect potential pellet pit buyers' ability to purchase pits with cloud-based control now but it may in the future, based on the appeal outcome?

EDIT:  I wish a pit manufacturer's spokesperson would give us their official company line.  Mackdaddy used to comment once-in-a-while but hasn't for three or four years.

ZCZ (Alan) can you reach  back to Memphis and find out what they think?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 04:54:59 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2023, 09:05:52 PM »

I don't have the original complaints to look at to see what was alleged in each one.  Plus, you would need to know the procedural history to know if any claims were dismissed along the way, modified or determined in a party's favor.  Just not enough info to know what ruling was being appealed.

rfinley

• Using less gas.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2023, 10:12:10 AM »

Something similar happened with downdraft accessory. If I remember correctly there was a pellet smoker who had a metal shop that made a good downdraft attachment for the GMG's. Nice heavy stainless steel that wouldn't collapse when you tightened it down. Then a guy started making a thin knockoff with his name all over it. Applied for patents and received it. Original guy shutdown. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up