Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by zueth on 01 Feb 2021
  • I am looking to upgrade from my GMG, it’s been a good cooker but I am ready for a upgrade. I am looking at Rec Teq, MAK, and Smokefire. I think MAK is the best but trying to keep the cost dow.  If I get the Rec Teq it would be the RT 590.
    Haven’t ruled out any others, but these are at the top of the list.

Are there others that I need to consider?

Pros and Cons that I haven’t thought of.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • #2 by Canadian John on 01 Feb 2021

•  I see it's your first post.  Welcome.

There is no right answer to your question.  The topic of what pit should I buy is a frequent one here.  There is so much to consider and so many variables. Somewhat like asking one,what do you like to eat,

or what kind of car should I buy. It's an extremely personal choice. 

What you might do is to list your likes and dislikes and see what comes closest.. Hands on can't be beat.

Any specific question such as how easy is the pit to clean out, or  concerns about rust, max heat, temp control etc are easily answered..

• #3 by okie smokie on 01 Feb 2021
  • Hard to beat the 590 for the price. Just above are the RT Bull  at $1199 and Blaz'n Grand Slam at around $1300 as I recall. I've had both. RT has the best service, but Blaz'n was also very good when problems happened. Both were very trouble free. I'm sure there are others worth considering.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 01 Feb 2021
  • In my opinion if you are wanting to upgrade, then your next level would be the likes of Blazin, Cookshack, MAK,Yoder Pitts and Spitts.

Weber, Grilla, RECTEC,  Camp Chef and the likes, to me are all on the same level as the GMG.

Weber may be a slightly better just because it is so different than all of the others in design.
  • #5 by zueth on 02 Feb 2021
  • Thanks for the replies, a little background.

I own a GMG Daniel, I got used and have kept it running. I like to cook Ribs, Rack of Pork, Pork Loins, Pork Tenderloins, Steak Reversed Seared on SRG, Prime Rib, along with other stuff on it.
    I own a Bradley that I smoke cheese, salmon, and pulled pork on.
    I own a Webber gas grill that really only gets used for searing prime rib or roasts.
    I own 2 SRGS, that I use as daily griller, steaks, chicken, fish, etc on.
    I want a grill that’s imparts a good smoke flavor, GMG seemed to lack that and sometimes had to use a smoke tube in it. Would also like to be able to cook at higher temps if needed. But lots of cooking at 225-275. 
    Want a grill that is reliable and not worried about auger jamming.
    Thanks.

• #6 by BigDave83 on 02 Feb 2021
  • Reading this. You wanting more smoke flavor. I have discovered that it is in the controller.

I started with a rectec in 2013 first pellet cooker, coming from a cookshack electric and charcoal it was a let down in the smoke flavor for me. I had other issues with it also. About 3 years later found out there was a local GMG dealer, so I went and looked at them and bought the Davey Crockett as I usually only cooked for 1 or 2 people. Problems with it right out of the box, talked to the owner I believe a few times over Memorial day weekend. He told me what he thought it was and would send me a controller and igniter. I got it to work well enough to use, and the new controller fixed it. I was amazed at the difference in smoke profile between it and the RT. Even some others that I cooked for commented how it just had a better smoke flavor and asked what I changed. About 2 years later I bought a Pit Boss vertical, for jerky and sausage mainly. The difference in smoke profile was huge, this thing produced a good flavor, but it had huge temps swings and temps were not not stable as it may go 100° + and then come down to almost going out when set at 250° most of the time it was 40 to 60° difference. I swapped a Pellet Pro PID controller  in to it and now have stable consistent temps but the swings that produced the smoke flavor were gone and so was the that flavor.

I used the same pellets in all of them. They all had/have good and bad points. I sold the RT as it just was in the way collecting dust, it was built nice, but didn't do what I needed and what they told me it would do, big disappointment. The GMG if it broke or wore out I would go buy another one immediately as I really like it and the food coming off of it, it is small so it will heat up quick and for 2-4 people is great. I don't like the thin cooking racks on it. That is the only thing I can say bad about it. The Pit Boss is great also for what I wanted it for, and it is used when we have people over, it will hold a lot of food and cook it nicely. Mine are kept inside so I have never had auger jams in any of them.

I have no experience with anything else, and honestly if it had been in the budget at the time I would have bought the MAK 2 star as my first pellet cooker, really disappointed I didn't just wait and save up for it. A customer of mine had bought one and i went to check it out and I liked it, had some food from it it was very good. 

I think if I was budget minded today and looking to buy another cooker it would be between the Grilla with the Alpha controller (it has the ability to switch between PID and Non PID cooking) as I think I could smoke at a low temp for a while to get the flavor then switch to the PID side for the consistency to finish the cook. The Weber Smokefire would be my other choice, yes it has had some issues but it looks like they are ironing them out. I think it is Glitchy on here that has one and he seems to really like it. I have seen youtubers that go both ways on it but the ones that seem to have given them a chance and learned how they work seem to be on the Pro side.  If you have the coin for for Blazin, Cookshack, MAK, Pits and Spitts, Smokin Bros or Yoder then I would focus on those brands.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2021
  • I've had a few auger jams with the MAK and some issues with longer pellets causing problems in my MAK.  Other than that, it is great and very versatile.

If you want to stay away from auger jams and that is a huge concern of yours, then you should look for grills that use a pellet drop like Cookshack, Memphis, etc.
  • #8 by rdsbucks on 02 Feb 2021
  • Love my Cookshack PG500. I do not even have a grill anymore as I use it for both. It works flawlessly every time. I don't know what else to tell you. I do not do huge cooks so space is fine. I have no idea about CS customer service (though I have heard it is good) because I never need them. The controller seems perfect. If the smoke profile is an issue, go with a Pit Barrel Cooker and just keep your GMG. You'll have two arrows in your quiver that way. For the $ it's about the best stick burner you can get. IMO, pellet smokers have a little less smokiness but I feel my smoker has enough.
  • #9 by glitchy on 02 Feb 2021
  • The SmokeFire is a good grill, but is definitely quirky or moody and sorta constantly changing. I definitely feel like a Beta tester at times with mine. It cooks great food, but it’s behavior changes some each time they update software. I almost always use my Fireboard to watch over it because I don’t fully trust it. There’s a good chance I’m going to replace it with a MAK.
  • #10 by zueth on 02 Feb 2021
  • Glitchy, thanks. Good feedback.

• #11 by okie smokie on 02 Feb 2021

I own a GMG Daniel, I got used and have kept it running. I like to cook Ribs, Rack of Pork, Pork Loins, Pork Tenderloins, Steak Reversed Seared on SRG, Prime Rib, along with other stuff on it.
    I own a Webber gas grill that really only gets used for searing prime rib or roasts.
    I want a grill that’s imparts a good smoke flavor, GMG seemed to lack that and sometimes had to use a smoke tube in it. Would also like to be able to cook at higher temps if needed. But lots of cooking at 225-275. 
    Thanks.

Auger jamming should not be an issue at all on the Cookshack500, and Louisiana pits, Yoder etc  as they use pellet drop, but I don't find it a problem on any pit if you keep your pellets dry, and maybe twice a year, clean out the pellet dust from the hopper and auger. Also helps to not let grease accumulate since grease fires can lead to auger fires. No trouble with my RT products, and my Blaz'n GS (once the shut off algorithm was altered). Easier to avoid jams if there is a pellet clean out, which is not present on RT products. Fresh dry pellets do make a big difference. If you buy the 590 and it will be in open space, be sure and buy the little vent chimneys and be sure and seal around them when installing. I use high temp gray sealant. Lots of choices. 
  • #12 by pmillen on 02 Feb 2021

Thanks.

I'm thinking that you want a smoker that imparts a good smoke flavor.  If that's the case, you may be really happy with a Cookshack Fast eddy PG500/1000.  They make copious smoke at any temperature.  PID controllers will provide tighter temperature control (over-rated) but usually sacrifice deep smoke flavor.
  • #13 by zueth on 03 Feb 2021
  • I appreciate the input, I am not considering the cook shack. Any others that put out good smoke to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages:
Actions