Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Which Pit Should I Choose?

Need to upgrade from GMG

(1/3) > >>

zueth:
I am looking to upgrade from my GMG, it’s been a good cooker but I am ready for a upgrade. I am looking at Rec Teq, MAK, and Smokefire. I think MAK is the best but trying to keep the cost dow.  If I get the Rec Teq it would be the RT 590.
Haven’t ruled out any others, but these are at the top of the list.

Are there others that I need to consider?

Pros and Cons that I haven’t thought of.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Canadian John:

I see it's your first post.  Welcome.

There is no right answer to your question.  The topic of what pit should I buy is a frequent one here.  There is so much to consider and so many variables. Somewhat like asking one,what do you like to eat,

or what kind of car should I buy. It's an extremely personal choice. 

What you might do is to list your likes and dislikes and see what comes closest.. Hands on can't be beat.

Any specific question such as how easy is the pit to clean out, or  concerns about rust, max heat, temp control etc are easily answered..

okie smokie:
Hard to beat the 590 for the price. Just above are the RT Bull  at $1199 and Blaz'n Grand Slam at around $1300 as I recall. I've had both. RT has the best service, but Blaz'n was also very good when problems happened. Both were very trouble free. I'm sure there are others worth considering.

BigDave83:
In my opinion if you are wanting to upgrade, then your next level would be the likes of Blazin, Cookshack, MAK,Yoder Pitts and Spitts.

Weber, Grilla, RECTEC,  Camp Chef and the likes, to me are all on the same level as the GMG.

Weber may be a slightly better just because it is so different than all of the others in design.

zueth:
Thanks for the replies, a little background.

I own a GMG Daniel, I got used and have kept it running. I like to cook Ribs, Rack of Pork, Pork Loins, Pork Tenderloins, Steak Reversed Seared on SRG, Prime Rib, along with other stuff on it.
I own a Bradley that I smoke cheese, salmon, and pulled pork on.
I own a Webber gas grill that really only gets used for searing prime rib or roasts.
I own 2 SRGS, that I use as daily griller, steaks, chicken, fish, etc on.
I want a grill that’s imparts a good smoke flavor, GMG seemed to lack that and sometimes had to use a smoke tube in it. Would also like to be able to cook at higher temps if needed. But lots of cooking at 225-275. 
Want a grill that is reliable and not worried about auger jamming.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View