Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Stump58 on 02 Feb 2021
  • I am totally at a loss and figured I would try here as a last resort.  I had a propane smoker and used it till it rusted out, then I went with the Pit Boss Pellet Smoker based on reviews instead of propane again. I love the smoker when it works.  I smoke once a week (combination of meats, brisket, turkey, ribs, etc..).

I clean the smoker after each cook (vacuum, wipe down, etc..). I have had this smoker for a year and have had some problems.  I replaced the control unit because of the code that causes it to shut down, replaced and will be replacing again the temperature probe in the smoker based on error code it had after trouble shooting.  I tried to use smoker again this weekend and got a new code this time (ErH). So I checked the box to make sure there was not any grease causing flare ups (nothing), looked in the burn pot and pellets were burning high above auger feed and catching pellets on fire at the end of the auger feed causing high temp. I cleaned burn pot out completely and removed pellets that were catching. Let unit cool down, restarted and all seemed good. Then after two hours, same thing happened. Sent questions and problem to customer service and it looks like they may be sending another control unit. This is my first pellet cooking appliance.  Again, love the thing when it works and I am getting frustrated due to me fixing the unit verses cooking with it. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

I have also read that I need to fill the hopper (40lb bag capacity) instead of keeping it 1/4 full, is this true? The smoker is on a screened covered porch away from elements and has a cover so pellets are not being subjected to moisture.  I usually smoke at the 250 degree setting but due the outside temperature (30s or lower) I have to switch to 275 setting to keep temp in box at a min of 225-235 degrees.  Colder weather has been tough to smoke in with this unit.

Again any help is appreciated before I use this as target practice and go back to propane. Thanks in advance.

Side note: I switched to weber pellets because the supplier was out of the it boss pellets.  Would not think that would matter but the weber pellets are longer. Pit Boss is sending another control unit. So we will see. Just want to smoke meat!
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2021
  • Longer pellets may be an issue.  They may be getting stuck in the auger tube and slowing the revolutions of the auger because it has to break those longer pellets while turning them in order to push them thru the tube.  Potentially, the auger is not moving and the fire is getting into pellets hanging at the end of the auger tube and causing them to start on fire.

I would empty the pellet hopper of the Weber pellets and start with shorter pellets and see if your problem goes away.

Also, there is an entire section on here about the grills made by that manufacturer.  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?board=8.0

Read the posts in that section, and you may learn a few more things about what to avoid with your grill.  Keep the pellet hopper cleanout away from moisture or you will have a bigger problem on your hands.
Pages:
Actions