Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 03 Feb 2021
  •  
     Most of us use these vacuums for pit maintenance as do I. I have a small 5 gal model. It is fitted with a fine dust filter (yellow bag). I have one spare bag and want to replace my bag supply.  For the  last few

months I have attributed no stock anywhere to Covid. Come to find out, Shop Vac is no longer in business, a terrible financial mess. There was supposed to be a take over. That never happened. That leads to

no parts, or service for the millions of vacuums out there. What's next?
  • #2 by lil moose on 03 Feb 2021
  • Sad never knew that happened.

I own 2 of them and use them like crazy during the summer for different things.  ???   Now what?   I wonder if there are bags left to buy up?

I will say in the auto parts side it's as bad as far as getting parts.  My parts dept has 1 oil cooler for a certain car line up and I get 3 to 5 calls a day for it but I have to turn them down because I need to keep it for our shop and customers.   

Covid has really kicked many companies in the rear end this year   
  • #3 by yorkdude on 03 Feb 2021
  • I have 3 of the 5 gal. for different uses.
    I had heard this a few months ago and apparently I wasn’t the only one, I went to Home Depot (got 2), Menards (0) and Lowe’s (2). Filters only.
    I then went to the “to your door store” and bought 2, they are absolutely junk, don’t waste your money.
    Ours use the 90304U filters.
    I am buying a Ridgid once I am out of filters.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 03 Feb 2021

•  A glimmer of hope. RIDGID, Home Depot, may have some answers..The Hi Eff baag I use in my 5 gal Shop Vac is  P/N 90671..Got looking @ Ridgid, inspired by yorkdude, and found the following.

Overview
    Model # 12323 Store SKU # 1000803653

The Filter Power model 12323 is a High Efficiency disposable replacement filtration bag designed to fit most 5-9 U.S. Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuums. This High Efficiency filtration bag is for DRY pickup only. Our item replaces VF2004, VF3503 bags and also Mastervac* 054-0003, 054-0150 bags. It is designed to fit most 5-9 U.S. Gallon Shop-Vac* and Genie* Wet/Dry vacs, Rigid* WD0670, WD0970, WD0975 and Craftman* #97411. Each pack contains 2 bags. *Mastervac is a registered trademark of Canadian Tire Corporation, Ltd. All rights reserved. *Shop-Vac is a registered trademark of the Shop-Vac Corporation. All rights reserved. *Genie is a registered trademark of Genie Corp. All rights reserved. *Craftman is a registered trademark of LDC IP, LLC. All rights reserved. *Rigid is a registered trademark of Rigid Inc. All rights reserved.

Ideal for trapping dust and dirt in bag
    Keeps the inside of the Vac drum clean and allows for fast and easy removal of debris from the tank
    Includes 2 High Efficiency filtration bags
    For use with most 5-9 U.S. Gallon Wet/Dry Vacs
    Improves vacuuming efficiency
    Designed to fit Wet/Dry Vacs using style H 90671

Mind you, this is from Home Depot Canada website. Surely it's the same in the US..
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Feb 2021
  • Funny how I only know the device by the name of shop vac.  Sorta like Kleenex for a tissue, Xerox for a photocopy, Kodak moment for a picture, etc.  Some things are just so good when they come out that they take on a life of their own before they are replicated.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 03 Feb 2021
  • Funny how I only know the device by the name of shop vac.  Sorta like Kleenex for a tissue, Xerox for a photocopy, Kodak moment for a picture, etc.  Some things are just so good when they come out that they take on a life of their own before they are replicated.

I agree with you on that.  Don't have any Shop Vac's but call the ones I have a Shop Vac.
    Same for Kleenex, we use Puffs but still call then Kleenex.

• #7 by BigDave83 on 03 Feb 2021
  • I have 2 Rigid "ShopVacs" one is small and has a bag in it. i use it to clean the pellet stove mostly. 8 years using it and I have not caught i on fire once. The other in a huge thing with filters. I have bought replacemnets and HD and third party brands from Amazon. All seem to have worked well.

Link for Shop Vac filters on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=shop+vac+filters&crid=1J7H3KQDOWHYD&sprefix=shop+vac+filter%2Caps%2C183&ref=nb_sb_ss_ab-sx-reranking_5_15

• #8 by Brushpopper on 04 Feb 2021
  • well darn, I have the shop vac ash vac.  The filter needs replacing, thought I would get around to it in the next month or so.  Guess I need to go to plan B as soon as I come up with a plan B.

I have one too.  Guess I'll be blowing the filters out with compressed air until there is another alternative.  Same with the regular one I keep in the barn and the one in the garage.
  • #9 by Fire708 on 04 Feb 2021
  • I bought a craftsman brand replacement filter for my 5gl a few years ago. It’s one of the metal mesh reinforced cylinder ones and works great. I clean it every couple months.
    Just went to Sears.com and the same one is now $45
  • #10 by yorkdude on 08 Feb 2021
  • I have found a replacement, it is a very powerful vac.
    Like this a lot.
    It did not make the disclaimer while I was looking for what I was wanting to replace them with (see sticker).
    I bought them but as you can see, not included.
    Definitely going to grab another one tomorrow, truly very powerful.
  • #11 by Canadian John on 08 Feb 2021

•  RELIEF!
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 08 Feb 2021
  • I have found a replacement, it is a very powerful vac.
    Like this a lot.
    It did not make the disclaimer while I was looking for what I was wanting to replace them with (see sticker).
    I bought them but as you can see, not included.
    Definitely going to grab another one tomorrow, truly very powerful.

This is what I use to clean my pellet stove. It works very well. Mine has to be going on 9 years old. I use it some at other times, but usually once a month from Nov, to April or May.
  • #13 by yorkdude on 08 Feb 2021
  • Big Dave, it is quite powerful, the only function of this will be the pellet stove.
    I am definitely going to grab another one tomorrow for non ash stuff.
  • #14 by 02ebz06 on 08 Feb 2021
  • I have a fleet of vacuums (well 4).
    HD Stinger for cleaning pellet grills. Have had it for 8 or 9 years.
    Ridgid 16 gal for general purpose use.
    Two Festool vacuums dedicated for woodworking tools.
  • #15 by Canadian John on 13 Mar 2021

•  UPDATE: GOOD NEWS

Replacement bags are available now at most places. The brand name is Filter Power. Even better, pricing hasn't changed from the Shop Vac days..

Pages:
Actions