Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by zueth on 11 Feb 2021
  • I am looking at large interior shelf, front shelf, and sear grates. Are they all worth it? Anything else to consider?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • #2 by glitchy on 11 Feb 2021
  • I don’t have a RecTeq, but might have had a few pellet grills over the years. I like front shelves, they make getting food off and on, wrapping things mid cook, etc. easier. Upper shelves depend solely on your capacity needs, with the fan it’s going to be about the same temp there as main grate. Are their sear grates GrillGrates? If so, I sometimes use them but I don’t love them. I think they are a PITB to clean. However, if it will be your only grill, definitely worth it to help with searing and also be sure to try them flat side up. Lately, I’m playing more with cast iron on the grill because it holds more heat and I’m not a believer that grill marks taste better than an all over sear.

Not on your list: If it’s regularly windy or rainy where your grill will be, the vent extension thingies they sell might be beneficial.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 11 Feb 2021
  • I bought a 680 what the 700 is today, I bought the grillgrates. They worked okay, but I use them more on my gas grill so not a wasted buy.

They didn't have inside shelves or front shelves then. I put a Treager front shelf on, and interior second shelf.

If you are handy you can build a front shelf using folding shelf brackets from Amazon ( I say Amazon because most use them) for $25ish then top it with wood or metal. You can upgrade the wheels/casters cheaper than the cart and still have you bottom shelf. You will probably want a smoke tube, but you can buy those at Wally World cheaper I would think. You could even make you own interior shelves and you could make half size or full size.  If you have not noticed I am cheap when it comes to certain things.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 11 Feb 2021
  • Front shelf has been a winner for me on the 590. The grillgrates were used often before I bought the B380, and were Grate! Since the 380 arrived, I use one panel of GG on the bottom side for heavy searing.  I have a portable inside shelf but have not used it.
    The front shelf is good but would be better if 12" deep instead of 10". 
  • #5 by pmillen on 11 Feb 2021
  • Lately, I’m playing more with cast iron on the grill because it holds more heat and I’m not a believer that grill marks taste better than an all over sear.

+1

GrillGrates do exactly what the claim—they conduct heat to the grate tops and make dark grate marks.  I'm not overly fond of them in all circumstances because, sometimes, by the time the meat is at the IT for pulling from the grill, the grill marks are so dark that they are actually bitter tasting pyrolysis, not Maillard reaction brown.
  • #6 by zueth on 11 Feb 2021
  • I have used cast iron to sear as well and really like the results.  But I was thinking that cast iron would not get hot enough on the RecTeq?
  • #7 by pmillen on 11 Feb 2021
  • I have used cast iron to sear as well and really like the results.  But I was thinking that cast iron would not get hot enough on the RecTeq?

You can decide if that's the case.  The Maillard reaction begins at 285°F.  Higher temperatures accelerate it until the meat reaches 355°F.  Then it begins to burn (pyrolysis—bitter char).
  • #8 by okie smokie on 11 Feb 2021
  • Best way to get Mailard (sp?) is with the GG's turned over which gives you a griddle surface. With the pit on highest, that surface is often above 550* on my 590, and hotter on the 380.  When steak is near done on the regular grates, I move it over to the upside down GG it only takes about one minute on each side to get good Mailard. And I agree you don't have to have it that hot, but it is quicker!  Dozen different ways to get to the same result I imagine. Pan grilling a steak is how many of the best chefs get the best results.  I may do the next steak on the mini griddle and compare results. ?
  • #9 by pmillen on 11 Feb 2021
  • Pan grilling a steak is how many of the best chefs get the best results.  I may do the next steak on the mini griddle and compare results. ?

Yeah, I've often thought of the same thing.

Omaha, when I was a youngster in the 1950s, was justifiably famous for its steak houses.  My mother was taught to pan grill steaks by one of the better chefs.  She would heat a cast iron pan really hot, sear one side brown, flip the steak and put the frying pan in the oven.  IDK the oven temperature or how long she left it in there—I think I have it in some old notes if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I recall that her steaks were unforgettable and I've thought of doing some that way to see how they compare to my current favorite methods.
  • #10 by okie smokie on 11 Feb 2021
  • Pan grilling a steak is how many of the best chefs get the best results.  I may do the next steak on the mini griddle and compare results. ?

Yeah, I've often thought of the same thing.

Omaha, when I was a youngster in the 1950s, was justifiably famous for its steak houses.  My mother was taught to pan grill steaks by one of the better chefs.  She would heat a cast iron pan really hot, sear one side brown, flip the steak and put the frying pan in the oven.  IDK the oven temperature or how long she left it in there—I think I have it in some old notes if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I recall that her steaks were unforgettable and I've thought of doing some that way to see how they compare to my current favorite methods.
    Have eaten a lot of steaks at various restaurants in Omaha but too long ago to remember details. Remember how good they were!
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • I remember having a steak in Hasting, NE back in about 1992-1993.  At that time, it was by far the best steak I had ever eaten.  I wish I remembered more about it to know how it would stack up to steaks I have had in high end places in the last 15+ years.

I also remember having a steak in the greater Kansas City area (either Overland Park, Olathe, or KC) in the mid 90s.  It was a Kansas City Strip steak which I believe was a bone-in version of a NY Strip steak.  It was an old regional steakhouse that had a few places but not a nationwide chain like a Morton's or Ruth's Chris. I wish I remember the name of that place because it was real good too.  All of the locals I worked with said the KC strip was the thing to get.
  • #12 by okie smokie on 12 Feb 2021
  • KC strip "bone in" is just the  T Bone without the tenderloin. Omaha stock yards was the biggest in the country back in the 30s--50s. Cattle was sent there to fatten on corn before slaughter. Johnny's Cafe at the stock yards was reported to seat 1000 people at its peak. I've been there but so long ago I don't recall the details. I think it is still there. ? Then a stroke of common sense told them that it was easier and cheaper to ship the corn than to ship or drive the cattle. Now we have more diverse spread of slaughter houses. No I did not forget Chicago, but at first Omaha had the nod for size. Or so I was told.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • I think it may have been the Hereford House I was at in KC area.
  • #14 by pmillen on 12 Feb 2021
  • Johnny's Cafe at the stock yards was reported to seat 1000 people at its peak. I've been there but so long ago I don't recall the details. I think it is still there.

My dad's friend, Frank Kappa (or close to that) bought Johnny's Cafe when it was more of a diner and changed it into the steak house.  It was Frank that coached my mother on pan frying steaks, part on the stove and part in the oven.  There were probably 10 world famous steak houses in Omaha at the time but my family thought that Johnny's was the best.

Frank used to tour the various slaughterhouses and pick out his sides of beef.  He'd stamp them with his private stamp and have them aged in the slaughterhouse coolers.  Johnny's Cafe hasn't changed much in appearance in the last 60 years but the steaks may not be quite the same.

Marcia and I used to go there on special occasions for a romantic Chateaubriand For Two dinner, but now I can smoke-roast a beef tenderloin and make Béarnaise sauce that we like better (or at least just as well).
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • That is an awesome story, Paul.  I feel the same way often about making my own meal that most of the time is better than the value of someone else making it for me.

Sometimes though, I just like going out and having someone else cook a great meal for me.
Pages:
Actions