Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 12 Feb 2021
  • I've not been satisfied with my attempts at chicken wings, simple and good. Have tried grilled, marinated and grilled, breaded and grilled, air fried with and without batter.  Not been happy with taste, texture, simplicity. Here were my goals:
    1. Simple recipe not requiring lots of measuring, marinating, mixing. The idea being that simple, is better
    2.  Making sure of doneness, with no tough skin and joints that are easy to clean
    3.  Flavor that permeates the meat.
    4.  Simple saucing without mixing
    Bottom line: I want them good without having to work at it.
    Here 'tis:
    Separated wings, without the tips. Fresh or frozen.
    Wash, coat with your favorite poultry rub with salt as needed. Bag them in freezer grade zip locks, and remove air in the  Sous Vide pot.
    Then sous vide at 158* (or about) for 2.5 hrs.
    Put the bags in fridge until time for dinner.
    Heat up the B380 (or whatever you can get really hot)
    Take the wings out of the bags, pat dry, and when your searing device is up to high, put them on a  mesh grill and place on grill oil coated. 
    My grill was at 678*.  5 minutes per side for crispy; on the table and sauce of your choice to dip.  The were great, very well done, and crispy.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • Yay!  Glad to hear you found a method that you will enjoy.  Hopefully, it wasn't too cumbersome for you.  But where are the pics of this masterpiece?

One mistake I have made repeatedly is to add too much dry rub while cooking (whether it be dry Frank's Red Hot seasoning or some rotisserie seasoning) and the wings are too salty even after saucing.
  • #3 by hughver on 12 Feb 2021
  • I've done thighs that way (I use 160° for SV) and they turn out great. I can't ever remember doing wings of any kind, thighs are much cheaper, have way more meat on them and, IMHO, taste better.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • I've done thighs that way (I use 160° for SV) and they turn out great. I can't ever remember doing wings of any kind, thighs are much cheaper, have way more meat on them and, IMHO, taste better.

My problem with thighs is they have too much fat between the skin and the bone that I am not a fan of.  Have you mastered a way to render (eliminate) those big chunks of yellow fat during your cooking process?
  • #5 by okie smokie on 12 Feb 2021
  • I like thighs that way too. But sometimes the crispy skin and picking them apart is great. I had a couple of them today cold for a snack. . Sorry for the lack of pics, but there are so many pics of wings that all look great, but some are not. I hope I painted a word picture.  Will for sure take pics next time. Somehow mine escaped over-salting.  But it is easy to overdo.  Also, the skin will stick to the grates or wire mesh I used, so I will coat with avocado or canola oil. Avocado will take heat very well.  The advantage of Sous Vide is that you can keep them in the  fridge vacuum sealed until ready to sear. Also, you can easily pick another coating before onto the grill. Leave them wet, and add panko or rice flour before sear.  Or sauce them before. I like the options. Just keep an eye on them til they are crisp as desired without burn. Another idea I am planning: Put them in a flip over wire cage so as to turn them all at once.
  • #6 by okie smokie on 12 Feb 2021

My problem with thighs is they have too much fat between the skin and the bone that I am not a fan of.  Have you mastered a way to render (eliminate) those big chunks of yellow fat during your cooking process?
    If you sous vide for 3 hours, the fat will render. Then you can pour it off or scrape it off before prep for searing. If you want thighs crisp, you will need to remove from sous vide bag hours before and pat dry and leave them unwrapped in fridge for several hours, to dry off skin. Helps a lot.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Feb 2021
  • okie, just to help me for clarity because this could become really interesting for me with skinless thighs at $0.45/# at RD.  did the yellow fat between the bone and the meat render away completely with your sous vide method?  if so, this may be a method for me.  It may even become a pulled chicken method worst case scenario if that hunk of fat between meat and bone goes away.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 13 Feb 2021
  • Can't say for sure but I think so. Guess one of us will have to try it out to be sure. Easy to remove otherwise? Unless you are eating it with your fingers.
Pages:
Actions