Recipe Section > Fowl

Chicken Wings Finally

<< < (2/2)

okie smokie:

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on February 12, 2021, 07:28:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: hughver on February 12, 2021, 07:18:02 PM ---I've done thighs that way (I use 160° for SV) and they turn out great. I can't ever remember doing wings of any kind, thighs are much cheaper, have way more meat on them and, IMHO, taste better.

--- End quote ---

My problem with thighs is they have too much fat between the skin and the bone that I am not a fan of.  Have you mastered a way to render (eliminate) those big chunks of yellow fat during your cooking process?

--- End quote ---
If you sous vide for 3 hours, the fat will render. Then you can pour it off or scrape it off before prep for searing. If you want thighs crisp, you will need to remove from sous vide bag hours before and pat dry and leave them unwrapped in fridge for several hours, to dry off skin. Helps a lot.

Bar-B-Lew:
okie, just to help me for clarity because this could become really interesting for me with skinless thighs at $0.45/# at RD.  did the yellow fat between the bone and the meat render away completely with your sous vide method?  if so, this may be a method for me.  It may even become a pulled chicken method worst case scenario if that hunk of fat between meat and bone goes away.

okie smokie:
Can't say for sure but I think so. Guess one of us will have to try it out to be sure. Easy to remove otherwise? Unless you are eating it with your fingers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View