Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Aren't More Women Cooking on Pellet Pits?  (Read 865 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Why Aren't More Women Cooking on Pellet Pits?
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »

So gentlemen, many of you are married, others have girlfriends and significant others, and certainly there have to be some with sisters and Moms out there -- maybe you can help with this question.  I am having a hard time figuring out why more women aren't using pellet pits.  I read an article a few years back saying that women were the biggest group of gas grill purchasers because of ease of use.  They can come home from work, turn the grill on, cook the food and have dinner.  No messing with charcoal, waiting for heat to build up, etc.

This all makes sense, until you use a pellet grill.  We have one of our DB's on loan to my SIL.  She recently told me she was skeptical of how easy it would be to use.  But one night, as she got out of the car after work, she just turned it on, went in, changed clothes, got the steaks ready and came back out and the pit was ready.  She grilled the steaks and turned the pit off and was a convert!!

So, I am not sure why there aren't more women on pellet pits.  Not familiar and think it is too hard?  Think they are too expensive when compared to purchase price of gas grill?  Have a hubby or boyfriend who likes to cook if there is a pellet pit involved, so no need?  What insight can you offer -- and do you try to get your honey involved in using your pit and showing how easy?  What about your Mom or sis?

Gringo

• Using less gas.
Re: Why Aren't More Women Cooking on Pellet Pits?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:11:52 AM »

My wife uses the Memphis Pro, primarily for baking.  She has cooked on it a couple of times, but not often.  The biggest reason she does not use it more is that I do most of the cooking.  The way our work schedules have been the past few years since We got the Pro makes it a lot easier for me to make dinner, than for her.  And then, on weekends, if we're having something smoked or grilled, she'd rather have me do it (regardless of what the equipment is).

If something changed with our schedules, where she would do more of the cooking, I'm sure she'd use the Pro more often.

As far as other women in my life (i.e. Mom, sister, etc...)  they don't cook outside at all, regardless of what kind of equipment is available. 
Lakeville, MN MemphisPro Weber Performer Blackstone 36" Griddle

Queball

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 08:30:24 AM »

My wife often comments that I smell like smoke .... well, daaaa. ..... I think in our case at least, that's a factor in her not being interested in cooking with pellets. Additionally, she is not excited about cooking. It's just a required, laborious task, so there is no fascination or interest.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »

I do all of the cooking in my house because I like it, and my wife is happy about that. I really don't have a good grasp on what today's dinner time prep looks like in the average household, but I have heard some of my older aunts and uncles talking. My aunts seem to look at it as a night off. If their husband gets an idea to cook outside one night, then they don't have to. Basically, neither wants to cook, so he may as well play with the grill if he Has to cook dinner.

I think many households from coworker discussions have 2 non cooking partners. Each has their night that they are responsible for dinner. Like a chore. So obviously in those cases even thinking of lighting any kind of grill is way past the line as far as effort. This doesn't really pertain to the woman/man issue, but maybe it does somewhat in the sense that it seems many couples (both parties) feel it is more work than a joy to put a meal on the table.

The household roles have changed considerably since the old days, but maybe not as much in cooking as some other aspects of life.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »

There is just something with men and fire..

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »

I do 95% of the cooking in my house but there is some truth in what what Canadian John said above.....
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

chris becker

• Using less gas.
    • Cookinpellets
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »

To be honest... my wife uses the grill more then I. On average 4-5 days per week! She leaves office earlier to get the kids off to gymnastics or curling club and feed them earlier then I usually eat so she gets to it before me.  :'(   I do get the pleasure of keeping it CLEAN!! >:(

Smoke On!
Chris The Pellet Guy

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »

My old Traeger is at some family property where the in-laws live during the summer (snowbird RVers). Unless I'm up there, my mother-in-law is the one that uses it. My father-in-all cleans it and handles the bags of pellets, but he hates to cook.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »

My wife actually purchased our first pellet cooker, a Traeger. While she enjoyed using it, I slowly and insidiously took it over to the point where she moved to the high heat gasser.  I asked her if she wanted to use the pellet cooker, but I get the idea that she does not have the patience with anything except very hot and fast, and that she likes to watch the food cooking on the grill while tending it.
PZ

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »

The only other friend I know with a pellet grill is female. Her husband showed some initial interest, but she is the one who knows her way around it.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

jdubb

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »

My wife and I seem to have the stone age mentality. Anything outside or involving fire, I cook. Anything inside or using electricity, she cooks. Not sure why, but it works for us!
GMG DB
Pages: [1]   Go Up