Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef Chuck Short Ribs  (Read 304 times)

RWhyman

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Beef Chuck Short Ribs
« on: February 19, 2021, 02:54:56 PM »

I just picked up some Beef Chuck Short Ribs at Costco and wonder if anyone has suggestions on how to smoke/cook them?

I'm guessing low and slow, but I've never cooked them before.

Thanks
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Beef Chuck Short Ribs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »

My suggestions.  You'll probably get others.

Short ribs got their name because beef ribs are long, and butchers cut them shorter.  They're cut from the plate, which is down low on the animal's side, directly behind the brisket.  As you look at the ribs, from front to rear, the meatier ribs will be toward the front.  The meat is much like brisket.  Chuck ribs come from the chuck area (duh!) and are about the first four or five ribs.  They'll be the meatiest.

Rub them with your favorite brisket rub and smoke them for three hours at 235°F. 

Wrap them with some stuff you prefer.  I use a few butter pats, ¼ cup of soy sauce, ¼ cup of beef consume and ¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce.  Put them back in for two more hours.

Enjoy.

EDIT:  Corrected some characters that didn't display properly after a server change.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:24:09 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 05:24:19 PM »

I season them lightly with SPG, sous vide for 36-40 hours at 135°, refrigerate, then season with favorite rub and smoke at 225° to an IT of 150-160°.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »

I season with Montreal Steak and smoke unwrapped at 225-250 for about 7 or 8 hours, until they are probe tender.

I also like to sous vide them at 131F for 72 hours, then lightly brown and glaze them. Medium rare short ribs taste and texture like prime rib.
Pages: [1]   Go Up