Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Feb 2021
  • I am trying to eat somewhat of a keto diet to lose weight and get my sugar and starch consumption under control.  I can't say I am exclusively keto because I don't have that kind of willpower, but it is helping me to start losing some pounds.

I have discovered my biggest weakness is bread.  I am just a bread hound.  Since Bent is so into bread making, I thought I would see if there was such thing as keto bread -- and there seems to be.  I found a recipe on allrecipes using blanched almond flour which a lot of the posters really liked, but I know there are several keto folks on this forum, so I thought I would ask if anyone has a good recipe for keto bread.  Also, any other keto bread type recipes -- pizza dough, cookies, etc?

Thanks in advance!
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 20 Feb 2021
  • Check out this thread on the PizzaMaking forum  --> https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66708.0
    All about King Arthur's Keto Flour.
    In Reply #9, the person did a google search for "best Keto bread ever" and got this youtube link  -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJdHPKAMXg

EDIT: The link is posted in the thread now at Reply #14.
  • #3 by Bentley on 20 Feb 2021
  • Off to Wal-mart for Xantham gum, blanched almond flour & eggs.
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 20 Feb 2021
  • I've lived a gluten free diet my whole life and have done without bread until the last few years.  Good thing I like corn tortillas.  Guar gum and xantham gum sure do help make it seem like the bread the rest of y'all eat.  Most everything I get is commercially made but every now and then I'll get a hankering for it to be homemade.  Our daughter made some rolls at Thanksgiving and they said the GF was better than theirs.  But I'm not sure if they're Keto.
  • #5 by Bentley on 20 Feb 2021
  • A very interesting bread. 7 eggs, so it smelled like French Toast as it came out of the oven.  A texture that slightly resembled corn bread.  Good taste.  Very small as you can see, only baking powder for leavening.  I made a little triple decker bologna sandwich.  I guarantee if I had not had bread or a sandwich in a few weeks, I would have said it is the best sandwich I have ever had.  It would be a much better used as a sweet bread.  Make muffins with fruit in them, or some such.

Kristin ordered Milled Flax Seed, Natural Oat Fiber & Vital Wheat Gluten off Amazon today.  Going to try and make the loaf in the link that 02 post from youtube.  Will be very interested to see how it goes.

• #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Feb 2021
  • Yeah, that certainly looks like a "loaf" of cornbread to me.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 20 Feb 2021
  • I have not tried this even though I have everything here to do it.
  • #8 by Hank D Thoreau on 20 Feb 2021
  • Google Fathead dough. It is made from almond flour. It is especially good for pizza dough, but you can make other things, like bagels with it.

I used it for pizza dough for a friend on a keto diet. It was really good, and easy to make.
  • #9 by Free Mr. Tony on 21 Feb 2021
  • I was at Barnes and noble this morning checking out the bread book section. I remembered your question from here so I took a look in the diet section. This book had an entire chapter for different type of bread, muffins, etc. I have no idea if they are any good, but this is the book if you wanted to check it out.

• #10 by jdmessner on 23 Feb 2021
  • I am interested in this thread. For Lent I have gone back to my low carb, low sugar, no dairy diet. I like a lot about the Keto diet, but it doesn't seem very low calorie. The 90 second bread looks like it is worth trying. My sister-in-law just gave us some butternut squash flour. Someone gave it to her and she had no idea what to with it, so she passed it on! Not sure how I will use it it, but it sounds interesting.
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Feb 2021
  • It probably sounds awful, but I am not focusing on calories right now, more about really limiting sugar and carbs.  And doing that, even without calorie counting, I am losing weight at a nice rate (nothing dramatic, but it has been a steady 1 to 2 lbs a week which is great for me). At some point, I am sure I will need to focus on calories, but it has been such a shift to get away from sugar and carbs that I am not sure I could stick with anything more regimented at present. I am starting to read packages very carefully and it is amazing how many carbs most foods have -- and mainly due to sugar content!
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 23 Feb 2021
  • It probably sounds awful, but I am not focusing on calories right now, more about really limiting sugar and carbs.  And doing that, even without calorie counting, I am losing weight at a nice rate (nothing dramatic, but it has been a steady 1 to 2 lbs a week which is great for me). At some point, I am sure I will need to focus on calories, but it has been such a shift to get away from sugar and carbs that I am not sure I could stick with anything more regimented at present. I am starting to read packages very carefully and it is amazing how many carbs most foods have -- and mainly due to sugar content!

In our younger days, we never looked at the nutritional info on a package, just ate it.
    Now it makes a difference in what we buy.
  • #13 by jdmessner on 24 Feb 2021
  • I made the 90 second bread today. I feel like the guy who reviews a recipe, uses different ingredients, and is then surprised it did not turn out the way it was advertised! I wasn't surprised that it didn't turn out like it looked, but other than the baking powder I substituted everything else.

Instead of regular flour I used butternut squash flour, which is made by grinding up dehydrated squash. I may play around with trying to make my own since I found out it sells for $18 a pound. It doesn't have nearly the carbs as regular flour. It also makes for a much denser bread.

Instead of butter I used Flaxseed oil, which is high in Omega-3 and probably a little better for you than butter. My guess is it would have tasted much better with butter.

Eggbeaters were used in place of eggs to cut down on the cholesterol.

Over all it did not taste bad (good might be a stretch), but I could get used to it. It was dryer than I thought it would be, probably should have started with 60-70 second bread. It was more of a biscuit than bread. It would go well with soup. My guess is the original recipe would work well.
  • #14 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Feb 2021
  • I made the 90 second bread today. I feel like the guy who reviews a recipe, uses different ingredients, and is then surprised it did not turn out the way it was advertised! I wasn't surprised that it didn't turn out like it looked, but other than the baking powder I substituted everything else.

Instead of regular flour I used butternut squash flour, which is made by grinding up dehydrated squash. I may play around with trying to make my own since I found out it sells for $18 a pound. It doesn't have nearly the carbs as regular flour. It also makes for a much denser bread.

Instead of butter I used Flaxseed oil, which is high in Omega-3 and probably a little better for you than butter. My guess is it would have tasted much better with butter.

Eggbeaters were used in place of eggs to cut down on the cholesterol.

Over all it did not taste bad (good might be a stretch), but I could get used to it. It was dryer than I thought it would be, probably should have started with 60-70 second bread. It was more of a biscuit than bread. It would go well with soup. My guess is the original recipe would work well.

Reading your post before I even saw the price per pound, I was trying to wrap my head around how many squash it would take to get a significant amount of flour after dehydrating. It has to be too many for most home setups I would think. I hope you have a big dehydrator.
  • #15 by jdmessner on 25 Feb 2021

• Reading your post before I even saw the price per pound, I was trying to wrap my head around how many squash it would take to get a significant amount of flour after dehydrating. It has to be too many for most home setups I would think. I hope you have a big dehydrator.

From what my wife found online it takes about 5 lbs. of squash for a cup of flour. That is a lot of squash per pound of flour!!
Pages:
Actions