Recipe Section > Sandwiches

Calzone?? Maybe.

(1/2) > >>

BigDave83:
Where I live everyone calls this a stromboli, even the GF, she came home today and said you made stromboli. I very rarely make stuff like this, but she likes them so I thought I would give it a shot. I found a pizza dough recipe that I could make and use today as opposed to having to leave it rest for days.

The recipe I followed I must have messed up some how, I needed to add much more flour to it to get it to not be a pasty mess and stick to everything.
I left it raise in the oven for about an hour. Cut it in to 4 pieces. Not sure how people make all those nice round shapes, mine not sure what it turned out to be it wasn't round, not really a square or rectangle either. Filling was pepperoni, shredded mozzarella, and ham, a little garlic powder and black pepper. Cut my slits and brushed with olive oil.

Did in the counter top convection oven for 18 minutes at 425.

They did not turn out to bad, she liked them. Next time maybe better ham and some hard salami a different blend of cheese some Italian seasoning. For me they were missing something. Also need to find a different dough recipe or start with more flour.

I don't remember what site I found the recipe, as I wrote down a few as i was looking for one.

Dough

0.75 Cup Water (mine was 115°)
1 T Sugar
1.5 t Yeast (I only had regular not quick.) I did bloom yeast in the water and sugar for 6 or 8 minutes.
1.75 C Flour (AP all I had) I probably added close to another half cup on the table trying to get it to come together better.
1 t Salt

Anyone reading this wants to offer advice I am all for it, heck I would appreciate it.

Bar-B-Lew:
Growing up in Eastern PA that is a stromboli, and I don't know why you had such a pocket of air between the dough and the filling in the final product. My purchase experience, including the one I bought tonight, has been dough stays right on top of the filling.

BigDave83:

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on February 20, 2021, 08:29:06 PM ---Growing up in Eastern PA that is a stromboli, and I don't know why you had such a pocket of air between the dough and the filling in the final product. My purchase experience, including the one I bought tonight, has been dough stays right on top of the filling.

--- End quote ---

If you look at them after they were baked, this being the first one I made up I didn't make the vents on the top as large and they sealed up so the dough formed a bubble. The other 2 were flatter as the vents I cut were larger. I had always thought a stromboli had sauce in it and a calzone did not. After dinner we used the Google to find out that that was one difference but the biggest is stromboli is rolled like a cinnamon roll.

Bar-B-Lew:
In Eastern PA, a stromboli has no sauce inside.  It is served on the side to either dip forks full of pieces into or pour on top.  Additionally, it is not made rolled like a cinnamon roll.  It is a large piece of dough with toppings put on one side and the rest of the do folded over and pinched on the edges with slits on top as you mentioned to let the moisture out of it.

This may seem similar to a calzone but in Eastern PA a calzone has ricotta cheese in it.

I am not saying you are wrong. I am stating what my experience in this region has been.

Sodaking27:

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on February 20, 2021, 09:28:29 PM ---In Eastern PA, a stromboli has no sauce inside.  It is served on the side to either dip forks full of pieces into or pour on top.  Additionally, it is not made rolled like a cinnamon roll.  It is a large piece of dough with toppings put on one side and the rest of the do folded over and pinched on the edges with slits on top as you mentioned to let the moisture out of it.

This may seem similar to a calzone but in Eastern PA a calzone has ricotta cheese in it.

I am not saying you are wrong. I am stating what my experience in this region has been.

--- End quote ---
Exactly how they are made here in Western Maryland also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View