Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Brisket Time of Year  (Read 449 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Cheap Brisket Time of Year
« on: February 22, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »

Demand for prime brisket seems to go down in the February and so does the price.  I picked up a 14.3 lb. for $2.99/lb. this past week at Costco.  My wife couldn't believe the price.

Folks can't believe my wife and I cook large meals like a brisket when there are only two of us at home now.  We are very big on vacuum packing to make easy meals during the week.  I started out with a FoodSaver and my wife reluctantly got me a VacMaster for Christmas.  She loves the thing now.     

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Cheap Brisket Time of Year
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »

Same here, just two of us.  We have two FoodSavers.
Get them both going when we get a case or two of green chilies in August.
Freezer in garage, keeps the raw meat, freezer in kitchen fridge gets the cooked meat.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:37:07 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 02:18:16 PM »

Same here with just two of us.  I upgraded from FoodSaver to a Cabela's vac sealer.  Still have the FoodSaver and may use it when we make a big jerky batch to run both sealers.

Wife has her fridge in the kitchen.  I have my own in the basement.  Have a stand up freezer and a full size fridge with no freezer in the garage.  Basement freezer is usually cooked and vac sealed meats.  Garage is usually raw frozen meats, some meals in black plastic containers, and some fully cooked, vac sealed meals if I don't have room in the basement.

I need to quit going to the grocery store for a few months and just eat what I have at home.  Oh, and thanks for reminding me.  I bought 2 pork butts at the grocery store last week for $0.99/# that are in the garage fridge that I need to freeze.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »

I need to quit going to the grocery store for a few months and just eat what I have at home. 

Exactly, that's the reason that I haven't posted meat cooks in a while, both freezers were full.  :-[
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:20:16 PM »

both freezers were full.  :-[

That's were I'm at with my one freezer. Can't find anything in it.
The problem is I have a whole lot of pizza making stuff in the freezer.
So, I will be ordering a second freezer for the garage this week.
One for pizza, one for meat.
I'll be able to take advantage of meat sales then.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Clonesmoker

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 03:37:47 PM »

Got a 17.8 lb one from Walmart on Saturday this past week for $28!! It was a price "reduced for quick sale item" price was reduced by $24. I can see why it was at that price. Probably took off around 8 lbs of fat off of it. Still, it was delish.

Clonesmoker

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »

Our grocer Fareway has brisket flats for $1.99/lb. I got a bag with two in it for a little over $30.  If had room in our fridge I would have gotten a couple more bags!

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »

If I had a Fareway near me I would load up my chest freezer! Great find!
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »

I've got 3 whole briskets, 2 whole pork loins, and 2 pork shoulders consuming room in my freezers right now.  I can't wait for the snow to melt on the patio and for it to warm up a bit for me to want to get outside and cook.  In the mean time, I am working through what I had already cooked before winter and vac sealed and froze.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:30:10 PM »

I've got 3 whole briskets, 2 whole pork loins, and 2 pork shoulders consuming room in my freezers right now.  I can't wait for the snow to melt on the patio and for it to warm up a bit for me to want to get outside and cook.  In the mean time, I am working through what I had already cooked before winter and vac sealed and froze.

My new freezer gets delivered next Tuesday.
Then I will be able to see what I have, and what I don't have.  ???

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 01:35:55 PM »

I need to re-organize similar to your method too.  I need to put the raw frozen food in the larger freezer and the cooked frozen food in the smaller freezer.  I like your method.  Thanks for sharing that.

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 02:34:12 PM »

I should have mentioned this earlier, been busy with work.

Fred Meyer (Kroger) had nice tri tip for $4.50 a lb this past weekend  (two for one deal).  I got two, but alas my freezer is full or I would have gotten more. 

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill
Pages: [1]   Go Up