Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seasoning Cast Iron Update- Part 2  (Read 173 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Seasoning Cast Iron Update- Part 2
« on: March 07, 2021, 10:09:48 AM »

Just thought I would extend my  :2cents: Into three.

The beeswax/oil puck: After a few applications two things may happen.

1/ The wax may build up to the point of becoming gummy. At this point I would recommend switching to a good high smoke point oil,

Crisco etc.  As before, the thinnest of thin coats should be used to the point of looking as if there is nothing there. Anything more than that is simply not good.

2/ The seasoning beads when oil is applied to it. The very same as water beading of a car's finish after it has been waxed. This indicates a developed seasoning. Either keep using the puck or switch to an oil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developing seasoning after proper metal prep and the first few coats of seasoning:

Store the cookware in the oven so that every time the oven is used the seasoning gets closer to its final goal.

Just be aware that a gas oven condenses a lot while heating up from cold. That moisture may take its toll on non seasoned or partially seasoned cast iron. Something to be aware of when especially when curing

the first layer or two of seasoning.

The oven temperature should not exceed the smoke point of the oil in the earlier stages of seasoning development. A general rule would be to remove the cast iron if oven temperatures is to exceed

375ยบ..Remember, the oven temperature varies depending on location - lower is hotter.

Place the cast iron inverted(upside down). The only reason for this is to eliminate the possibility of anything falling into the cooking area of the cast iron from above..

Applying seasoning. After a cooking session and cool down, the cast iron may benefit from a very thin, repeat thin, layer of oil or puck and replaced in the oven ready for the next session. This isn't always

necessary.

Leaving the cast iron untouched for a few cooksessions is good. It helps in developing the seasoning.

When using this method, I concentrate on the inside/cooking area leaving the outside as is with just a few previous coatings on it. 

If for any reason the seasoning starts to flake off, either scrub out the loose stuff and reseason or go back to bare metal and start over, if it is bad. Just like paint, adhesion is dependant on the layer under it.

The first few cooks with new or stripped + re seasoned cast iron:

Don't: Cook anything acidic. Use high heat.  Use metal utensils that may scratch the developing seasoning. Soak the C I in water to clean.

Do : Use extra cooking oil to reduce sticking. The temperature not to exceed the smoke point of the oil. Clean by wiping out until all visible content is gone. If required hot water and a scrub brush generally

does it. Stuck on food may be gently scraped off using a plastic scraper. Then,  dry, gently heat, lightly oil and wipe. Heating further is beneficial. Just don't get it so hot the oil burns.

Cook a sliced up onion with lots of oil until well caramelized for a first cook. The onion may be discarded.  Potato skins are a good first cook as well.

As you can tell by now, developing seasoning on cast iron cookware involves a lot of work. Once developed almost anything can be cooked in it, and in most cases non-stick. Just gets better with use.

As always: Happy Cooking.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: Seasoning Cast Iron Update- Part 2
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »

Thanks for the information Canadian John!  I didn't know onions or potato skins were a good first cook.  I still need to finish my stuff after the first coat.  Can't talk the wife into a gasser and she doesn't want me to use the oven.  Hopefully she'll go see her mom over Spring Break this week and I can get it done in the house with the windows open.  The weather is supposed to cooperate for it at least.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up