Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 401k Distributions - Rule of 55 Question  (Read 438 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
401k Distributions - Rule of 55 Question
« on: March 08, 2021, 09:01:16 AM »

Anyone on here ever take distributions from their 401k using the Rule of 55 to avoid the 10% penalty for withdrawal before the age of 59 1/2?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
Re: 401k Distributions - Rule of 55 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »

Never have heard of the rule of 55
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 09:54:46 AM »

I was not aware of this and had to do a little googling. It is interesting that your employer may or may not let you take advantage of the Rule of 55. Even if they do, they may require you to liquidate your entire account in a lump sum if you take advantage of the Rule of 55. I will be watching this thread.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

ICIdaho

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »

If everything goes perfectly I will be looking harder into this.....in about 8 years!  I believe this is the one where you take you life expectancy, minus current age (55) and divide into your 401k amount.  You then have to take that amount every year.  If I remember right, this can be re-adjusted once you hit 59 1/2.  Don't quote me on this, I have not looked into this for a long time, but that is my memory anyways.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »

If everything goes perfectly I will be looking harder into this.....in about 8 years!  I believe this is the one where you take you life expectancy, minus current age (55) and divide into your 401k amount.  You then have to take that amount every year.  If I remember right, this can be re-adjusted once you hit 59 1/2.  Don't quote me on this, I have not looked into this for a long time, but that is my memory anyways.

That is a different one.  I am still getting the details on this through our provider at work.  I was hoping someone else on here already went through it.  From what I can tell so far, there is no calculation for what you can take out and how long you need to continue to take that distribution with no up to age 59 1/2 or 5 year time period.  I am also working to get our plan modified to allow for distributions other than lump sum.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:06:02 AM »

I'm not sure what Rule 55 states, but my wife and I both retired before we were 59 1/2 and withdrew 401K funds without penalty. It was taxed as regular income. We both retired from a large company that had a certified retirement plan.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

ICIdaho

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 11:43:55 AM »

That is a different one.  I am still getting the details on this through our provider at work.  I was hoping someone else on here already went through it.  From what I can tell so far, there is no calculation for what you can take out and how long you need to continue to take that distribution with no up to age 59 1/2 or 5 year time period.  I am also working to get our plan modified to allow for distributions other than lump sum.

Now that I think about it, it may have just been a general "what if I wanted to withdrawl from a standard IRA before 55 1/2" workaround.  That was quite a few years ago I was looking at that even, it may not exist anymore.

Edit again, I read and I was thinking of the 72t rule.  This is a quote I found in a Forbes article talking about the rule of 55.

“With 72t, you use IRS tables to decide how much to take each year if you’re under age 59 ½,” he says. “You won’t be stuck with the penalty, but you won’t have flexibility. You have to commit to taking those withdrawals for at least five years or until you’re 59 ½, whichever is greater.”

"With the rule of 55, you have more flexibility, Whitney says. As long as you meet the requirements, you can take as much or as little as you want from the 401(k) without committing to a set schedule."

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/retirement/rule-of-55-retirement/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:51:44 AM by ICIdaho »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »

ICIdaho, what you posted is my current understanding of the laws.

slaga

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »

This has been sitting on the back of my mind since you brought it up. Have you had any luck with with modifying the rules so you do not have to withdraw in a lump sum?

As a side note, does your employer offer retiree's health insurance coverage? From what I understand, you are probably out of pocket for your entire premium, the company does not pay any of it, but you are covered under the same conditions as if you are still an employee. It can be more affordable than COBRA or finding a health insurance policy on your own.

HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 11:52:27 AM »

We are in the process of changing the rules of our program so you can take distributions versus one lump sum.

Medical insurance is the next hurdle on my journey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up