Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freezer Space and question about pork loins  (Read 408 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Freezer Space and question about pork loins
« on: March 09, 2021, 05:58:44 PM »

Was some discussion in the Bread thread about freezers, but rather than clutter it up with this, though I'd start a new thread.

So, I got my new freezer this morning and got things organized this afternoon.  :cool:
First pic is the before pic, with everything in one freezer.  Minus 14 lbs of bacon that I moved to new freezer before taking the picture.  DOH!!!
2nd and 3rd pics show the after.
Will be nice to find what is in them now.  Found two briskets I forgot I had. Got them at $1.99/lb.
Had some stuff in freezers in house that I was able get out of there and into the garage.

Question about pork loin...  Has anybody cooked them to 200+ for pulled pork/shredding ?
I've always made Canadian Bacon out of the tenderloins, and just cooked and sliced the loins.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:19:20 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Freezer Space and question about pork loins
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »

I tried to cook a few loins for pulled pork ( I say a few because I did them 1 at a time) they were dismal failures each time. I thought I was making mistakes so that is why I did a few.
Way too lean for me.
Great job organizing the freezer, looks great.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 06:28:27 PM »

Looks like the freezer that I have in the garage.  I have a fridge that looks pretty similar too.

Around here, folks cook pork loin and pull it for annual new years day meal of pork and sauerkraut.  I think in order to get it to pull you need to cook it covered in a liquid for some period of time until it falls apart.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 06:39:19 PM »

I would be happy if mine was as organized as your first pic.

Never tried loins for pulled pork. I usually cure them, jerky them or cut in to chops. Rare that I even cut a roast. Some nice 3/8 to 1/2" chops are great for sammiches. Season and SV them at 135 for about 2 hours then a quick browning if you like, and into a nice pasta sauce for sammies.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 07:03:23 PM »

Looks like the freezer that I have in the garage.  I have a fridge that looks pretty similar too.

Around here, folks cook pork loin and pull it for annual new years day meal of pork and sauerkraut.  I think in order to get it to pull you need to cook it covered in a liquid for some period of time until it falls apart.

So crockpot for the loins I guess.  Thanks
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »

So crockpot for the loins I guess.  Thanks

Or sous vide and sear.  Even if you use a crockpot, they are too lean and will dry out. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 08:00:55 PM »

I often braise pork loin on the stove top.  It makes a braised roast, with potatoes and carrots, that falls apart so that It's somewhat difficult to slice.  So, in a sense, I suppose it's pulled pork.

But most of the time I slice them into boneless chops.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 09:12:26 PM »

Not sure if you have a SV. I never gave it thought, I do chicken breast at 142 for 4 to 6 hours and then shred them, not exactly the same but my next one I am going to give it a shot, probably have to go longer on time.

also didn't mention in my other post, grind them for sausage or burgers.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »

I though you were getting a horizontal freezer?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 11:21:26 AM »

I though you were getting a horizontal freezer?

Nope, don't think that would help much, everything would still get buried.
Wanted to get a Maytag like the one I have (10 yr warranty), but none to be found.
Ended up with a Frigidaire.

=====================================================================================================================

Not sure if you have a SV. I never gave it thought, I do chicken breast at 142 for 4 to 6 hours and then shred them, not exactly the same but my next one I am going to give it a shot, probably have to go longer on time.

also didn't mention in my other post, grind them for sausage or burgers.

No sous vide here.

=====================================================================================================================================

I usually cure them, jerky them or cut in to chops.

Never thought of pork jerky. Will have to give that a try,  I have 5 of these things.  Couldn't pass up $1.29/lb.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 06:00:15 PM by 02ebz06 »

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 11:31:03 AM »

I take a loin and cut it up into two roasts (the ends) and then make pork steaks out of the middle. Never tried pulled pork. I take the roast and do 250° until done. Takes the smoke well and then just slice and serve like roast.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 03:31:22 PM »

I take the roast and do 250° until done. Takes the smoke well and then just slice and serve like roast.

Do you rub it with anything?  At what internal temperature do you stop roasting it?

That would be an excellent recipe for you to post in the <Recipe> section.  I have an 8-inch section of loin ready to be cooked tonight.  I planned to slice it into 2-inch thick chops in about 3 hours, but I'd switch you your plan if I had detail.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 05:25:55 PM »

I take the roast and do 250° until done. Takes the smoke well and then just slice and serve like roast.

Do you rub it with anything?  At what internal temperature do you stop roasting it?

That would be an excellent recipe for you to post in the <Recipe> section.  I have an 8-inch section of loin ready to be cooked tonight.  I planned to slice it into 2-inch thick chops in about 3 hours, but I'd switch you your plan if I had detail.

Here you go https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6612.0
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,
Pages: [1]   Go Up