Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 27 Apr 2021
  • You are still going to have a compost pile right?  Just stay away from the tainted manure.
  • #17 by pmillen on 27 Apr 2021
  • An interesting article.
  • #18 by dk117 on 28 Apr 2021
  • Turf is in shape, greenhouse has tomato starts and peppers.  Peppers will stay in there all summer, tomatoes at least a few more weeks. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Apr 2021
  • nice
  • #20 by JoeGrilling on 29 Apr 2021
  • You are still going to have a compost pile right?  Just stay away from the tainted manure.

Yeah..just an experiment this year.  The tomatoes are getting fed with fish emulsion for now.  Hopefully, it doesn't draw in too many night time visitors.  We have lots of coyotes an raccoons around here with an occasional fox, bobcat, or mountain lion.

I left an open bag of bone meal near the garden and the coyotes ripped it open Sunday night.  We have a bossy collie that gets walked three times during the day.  Our dog raises cane if we don't stay with his schedule.  He refused to let my wife walk him Sunday night.  As soon as he sniffed the air outside he sat down.  We pushed him out the door and sat at the end of the driveway.  My wife got frustrated with him and put him in his garage pen.  She also was concerned that an intruder may be nearby.  He has actually gone at it with coyotes through our fence.  Our take was he didn't want to place my wife in danger.   I have owned four collies.  All were defenders of their families.  This one is the smartest and the most opinionated of them all.   
  • #21 by Bentley on 10 May 2021
  • All but 4 of the items planted in April were killed by the Evil 3 day April Frost.  2nd go round is doing better.

Onions, right is Spanish, center Bermuda and left is White.
    Garlic just starting to take off.
    Sage was able to with stand Mayberry winter and is thriving.  The plants to the right are basil, the tiny one told Mr Frost none shall pass. 
    Snowpeas.
    Asparagus, have had about 30 so far.
    I believe Chili's.
    Green peppers & Chili's.  The 1st 3 also told Mr. Frost where to go!
    Hard to tell, but the little things in the center should be Okra.
    R to L, rosemary, parsley, not sure, basil, basil.
    Beats on left, carrots on right.  I know we are finally getting the soil right as this is the 1st year we have been able to grow carrots.
    Blackberries.
    Raspberries.

Just a couple of over all shots.

• #22 by Bentley on 30 May 2021
  • Other then the Onions, Beets & Carrots, seems like slow growth to me for 20 days.  The Okra seems really slow.  2nd batch of Onions is coming in nice. I guess we had not even planed the 2nd round of tomatoes by that time.

• #23 by 02ebz06 on 30 May 2021
  • Looks like you are going to have a busy summer taking care of all that.
  • #24 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Jun 2021
  • Things are coming along in veg garden.  A couple of bell peppers starting to grow.  I also checked and thinned the beets and carrots.  I think I will have some beets in about 7 to 10 days, carrots may be a bit longer.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #25 by Chris__M on 08 Jun 2021
  • I'll come back here in a few weeks. I still have quite a bit of weeding to do!
  • #26 by Bentley on 08 Jun 2021
  • Speaking of which...I did half yesterday, on to the rest today!
  • #27 by Bentley on 11 Jun 2021
  • Video seems easier then pictures.  You think you have weeded pretty good till you see something like this.

2021 Mayberry Garden
  • #28 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Jun 2021
  • From the garden this morning -- zucchini, green bell peppers, jalapenos, beets and snow peas.  Never grown snow peas before so a bit of a learning curve that will be helpful for next year.  Bells are a bit small, but I was anxious to make stuffed peppers.  So will have stuffed peppers and stuffed zucchini for dinner.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #29 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Jun 2021
  • Trying something different -- pickling jalapenos and beets.  Even though the brine was hot, these are not shelf stable because I did not do a water bath.  So these are frig only pickling.  Which is good because I have room to add more to the jalapenos! I have made dill pickles before, but never pickled anything else so very interested to see how these turn out.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #30 by 02ebz06 on 20 Jun 2021
  • I love pickled Beets and Jalapenos.
    Bought some Bread & Butter Jalapenos once. Those were something I hadn't tried before but was surprised how good they were.
Pages:
Actions