Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pork Loin  (Read 1135 times)

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
Pork Loin
« on: March 10, 2021, 05:25:28 PM »

There was some talk today in another thread about pork loin and I was asked in greater detail what I do with them.

First off I normally get the big ones from Costco. I cut off about 6-8 inches in from each end and make them roasts. Then I take the middle section and slice them into pork steaks. I either just cook this like a pork chop (pan sear) or I cut it up and make it into fried rice.

As far as the roasts go. I put the smoker to 250° and light off a half filled smoke tube for extra smoke at the higher heat. Then I hit it with the a sweeter rub. Normally whatever I would do on ribs it what would go on pork loin. I find pork takes the sweetness. The last one I did had an asian rub followed buy an apple pie rub (both were RecTec rubs). Light coating of each. Throw the pork loin on the smoker and cook until 140° then pull and tent for a bit. At about 120° and then again at 130° I will put a light sauce on. Some sweet baby rays mixed with a little apple cider vinegar. Just a bit runny to coat the loin. Not too much flavor addition but just enough.

Loin comes out with a lovely smoke flavor and very juicy. Slice it about brisket slice thick and serve with salad and green beans (or potatoes).

That's how we do pork loin roast in my house.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Pork Loin
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 06:41:34 PM »

I put the smoker to 250° and light off a half filled smoke tube for extra smoke at the higher heat. Then I hit it with the a sweeter rub. Normally whatever I would do on ribs it what would go on pork loin. I find pork takes the sweetness. The last one I did had an asian rub followed buy an apple pie rub (both were RecTec rubs). Light coating of each. Throw the pork loin on the smoker and cook until 140° then pull and tent for a bit. At about 120° and then again at 130° I will put a light sauce on. Some sweet baby rays mixed with a little apple cider vinegar. Just a bit runny to coat the loin. Not too much flavor addition but just enough.

Let's see if I got this right–
  • Preheat the pit to 250°F.  Add a supplementary smoke generator if required.
  • Rub the loin with your favorite pork rib rub.
  • Put the loin in the smoker to smoke-roast.
  • Baste it with a light sauce when it reaches 120°F and 130°F internal temperature (IT).
  • Remove and tent it when the IT hits 140°F.
  • Rest and serve.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:48:10 PM »

Yes you have it right. I’m mostly a lurker so of course I post in the wrong sub and don’t itemize the recipe. Sorry.

The USDA temp for pork loin is 145. I find the tent/rest in foil does some carryover but if you have sticklers at your house taking it to 145 or even 150 won’t hurt it. It will stay juicy.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »

Good lookin' recipe.

Your post was fine.  I generally make a mistake when following a recipe so I need coaching and assurance that I'm on the right track.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up